• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question on Bait

Bartz

I know that there are fatheads, suckers, shiners, rainbows, red tails, etc....does anyone have a favorite bait they like to use for walleyes this time of year on Mille Lacs? Or does it depend on what type of technique you use (tip ups v Jigging)or possibly the bottom you're fishing over? I know the bite is never really good this time of year but I'd like to up my chances this weekend with any tips or tricks you might have. This is the latest walleye trip to Mille Lacs that I've taken. Should I just throw in the towel and go after perch?

well i got 8 weekends up there this winter already. the only thing i had luck on last weekend was a golden shinner on a dead stick or bobber. we were fishing over rocks. i was planning on making the switch over to perch this weekend. those guys have been getting an eye or two putting in there perch time. to many fronts this year and this weekend looks like a cold front will be moving in - may just have to spend some time over at the snow job at Izaty's....... they have an icehouse bar ya no......

Jumbo fats, #8 red Gamakatsu on tip ups, have been the story since we put our house out. We are in 25' Big Point Rocks. Our formula hasn't had to change, last weekend we got 3 fish over 27" with 3 limits of smaller (15-19") fish as well. Perch bite in the morning hours, but nice eyes have bitten 2 mins after a perch in same hole. That's just our piece of the pond though, hope some of this may help.

Thanks for the great info guys. Glad to see that there are still a few nice ones coming through the ice. We'll be staying in a 6 holer this weekend out of Sunset Bay. I'm thinking a mixture of shiners and fat heads should do the trick this weekend. I'll let everyone know how they were biting after we get back.