• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish stole 10 miles out, what in the world?

We stayed in a sleeper 10 miles out on Adrian's rode last weekend. The first night we left a large Eelpout and perch on the ice. Next morning the fish were gone.

The next night left three large Eelpout and 10 Tullibee on the ice. The next morning only one Tullibee was left. There were animal tracks in the snow.

The third night we took a piece of line and tied one end to a Tullibee on the ice and the other end to a pop can in the house. Ran the line under the door and put the can behind the stove and several pots.

At 1:50 AM we awoke to the can loudly smacking into the door. I crawled out of my sleeping bag and ran outside with a flashlight. The Tullibee was 20 yards from the house broken off. Twice I caught what looked like a diagonal glint 250 yards from the house. I couldn't tell what it was.

We were hoping to smoke some of these rough fish but were robbed. Does anybody have any idea what's out there?

Ravens or crows in the middle of the night? I would say the tracks were too big for wolf but maybe fox, coyote, or lynx?

Even the critters must be a bit short on fish this year. Well I don't feel tooo bad, then!! My last two trips I've seen a couple of bald eagles feasting on something in the middle of the lake, could that be your culprit???

Okay come guys, read the whole post. Ravens or eagles in the middle of the night & they leave animal tracks. He didn't say bird tracks. You got me what they are, but couldn't you have put them outside in a cooler or something so the critters wouldn't get them if you really wanted them very bad?

Last winter a group of us were out at Stoney Pt. fishing while friends were in by Twin Island. My buddy jumped on his sled and came out to visit us @ Stoney. About half way out to us he ends up coming upon a big timberwolf. Followed right behind it for quite a ways. He said the timber didn't really even get too excited or nervous with him following right behind it. Closest he'd ever been to one, said it was very cool. We see lots of fox in an average winter out on the ice also.

Hmmm, sorry Bigbucks I did read his post and when I responded with my not worthy in your opinion reply it just read animal tracks. Birds are animals and yes I have had ravens visit in the middle of the nite and steal fish, caught them in the act and seen it with my own 2 eyes I did.

Upon reading subsequent post by originator, if the tracks were bigger than that of a wolf, I guess I'll change my guess and will now guess Polar bear as the Black bears are hibernating and these are the only carnivorous animals I can think of up this way that would have a larger footprint than a wolf! Perhaps a mountain lion maybe?

Hows that for observant bigbucks! Thanks for pointing this out to me and I will chalk one up for you now for my own future referance.

Good day, Good fishing, and good luck to ya.

fiskyknut

Tips....We do have our share of them wolves up here for sure.

Seriously, ravens at night? I wouldn't have known that. Just giving you crap mostly.

Way to go bigbucks.....always causing trouble. I can't believe I let you fish with me.

Quote:

We were hoping to smoke some of these rough fish but were robbed.

How does the Eelpout taste smoked, I've never tried that?

I'm guessing it tastes great, not as chewy as bald eagle grin.gif all aside, I've seen lynx, timber wolf and fox on LOW. None of which were too scared when I was on a sled. Did you notice any unfamiliar boot prints? Could have been a buddy of mine, He really likes pout &tulies!

We were out by Three-Sisters last april and did notice alot of fox tracks in the snow from the previous night.

Opeygonebad, My guess is that LOW expert that on his first post said it was "ravens" probably put on his wolf track boots and made off with your tulibees. I understand that he has a real taste for smoked fish too!!! Pat

Definitely a dog, had it happen to us out of Lyons sleepers 9 miles out only we lost Walleye and Sauger. shocked.gif We were thinking Bear by the size of the tracks, it turned out to be big Chessy from one of the other rentals.

Never saw a dog out there in three days. If it was fox or lynx it must have been more than one. Those Eelpout were big!

Hodags, huh? Are they anything like the Abdominal Snowman? This sounds suspiscously like yet another creation of the All Time Champion spinner of tall tales, our own Jackpine Rob! crazy.giftongue.gifgrin.gifwink.gif Who else would have a devious enough mind to come up with such a fanciful critter? Only The Shadow know's! confused.gif Actually, Jackpine Rob is a hero of sorts, to my way of thinking. I've always aspired to be known as a great BS'er but I know when I've met my match. Going up against him would be like trying to win a butt kicking contest against Siamese twins! ooo.gifcrazy.gifgrin.gifwink.gif As far as what is stealing your fish, I might suspect a mink or a Black Lab. Years ago, when my buddy and I would fish Mille Lacs, if the fishing wasn't too good, Cap, my buddy's Black Lab would make a circuit of the house's around us, and come trotting back proudly with a frozen walleye in his mouth.(At least it would keep us from getting skunked!) Usually followed by the smiling catchor. Good boy Cap!!! Good boy!!! grin.gifwink.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

If it was a full beer can that you had tied the string to I would probably have to blame LipRipper or Quesnell. Shady rats that they are grin.gif

Hey, you guys that live across the state line mind your own business. Maybe it was you stealing the fish Packer. Pretty shady character yourself! wink.gif