• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Report 1/28

nblasin

Had some pretty good luck this past Friday evening and was wondering if we got lucky or if the fishing is picking up. Only caught 4 walleyes but 10 crappies, and missed just as many as we caught. Kept enough for a meal and let the rest go. All fish were 13-14.5". There isn't much better than seeing one of those huge slabs come through the hole. It is amazing how you can drill numerous holes and catch fish only out of one, and another 10 feet away you would swear there isn't a fish with in a mile. We did concentrate on getting away from what few people were out.

way to go-any chance you could share which resort you went out of-i have heard the fishing has been picking up east of rogers road

My wife and I fished in one of Kelly P's houses on Saturday and Sunday nights. The first night we managed 3 slabs, 3 perch, and one walleye. My wife caught her first two URL beauties. The next day we scratched out 5 walleyes, a few perch and an approximate 30 inch northern before 5:30. From 5:30 to about 8:30 we had steady crappie action. We kept 10, released 5 more, lost one in the transducer, lost a couple at the bottom of the hole, and had a few more screw ups, or we would have had the magic "20" for the evening.

Combine the above with listening to a Gopher hockey win (over Wisconsin), Gopher BB win, cribbage, wild rice soup, brats & beer, a few other adult beverages, and a sunny Monday morning with dry roads for the trip home. Hard to beat!

Jigging or still on rattle reels. or these crappies still fidgety or aggressive.

Sounds like a great time Chris, the only time I can get my wife out fishing with me is when I say the magic word.. (Red!) She always is amazed by the sheer size of the lake, and it is great because I can usually find a fish of some type to bite on her line. grin.gif Besides, shes my only proof of the biggest walleye I have ever caught, 28". (No camera, only a tape) confused.gif I am thinking about taking her up there pretty soon again, so any more info would be appreciated.. I.E. Still red glow? How far out were you about? Thanks alot, Donk

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Sounds like a great time Chris, the only time I can get my wife out fishing with me is when I say the magic word.. (Red!) She always is amazed by the sheer size of the lake, and it is great because I can usually find a fish of some type to bite on her line.
grin.gif
Besides, shes my only proof of the biggest walleye I have ever caught, 28". (No camera, only a tape)
confused.gif
I am thinking about taking her up there pretty soon again, so any more info would be appreciated.. I.E. Still red glow? How far out were you about? Thanks alot, Donk

I have yet to make a trip to to Red without my wife. She loves catching those slabs. We're heading up again presidents day weekend.

No rattle reels in my houses. You're supposes to be fishing not sleeping. grin.gifgrin.gif The next night after Chris it was back to 4 crappies there.

In an attempt to answer many of the questions: Almost every fish was caught below a foam bobber set at from 1 to 2 feet off the bottom. Typically no extra action was imparted, except for a subtle lift or jiggle. The night the crappies decided to show up and hang around, they bit on all 4 lines and didn't seem to show a preference for one lure over the other, or one side of the house over the other. We had a red glow, white glow w. blue, white glow with pink, a #6 hook w. red glow Phelps tube; you know, the standard URL arsenal. We only used a split shot to get the "plain" hook down, so the minnows typically made the bobbers dance. We had two Vexilars, but my wife shut hers off after a hassle or two and she had as many hits as I did. I initially tried to jig up the fish I saw, but found that they would often take a look and return to bottom, or leave altogether. The few I managed to jig up were walleyes, or perch. The evening the crappie bite was on, I was able to drop the jig slowly down on a couple of marks with positive results.

The talk @ Hillmans when we stopped to pick up minnows was that things were picking up out within a mile or two of the reservation line. I didn't bring my auger, or portable, so we spent the whole time in the sleeper & didn't check out that action.

As Kelly indicated in the previous post, the group that followed us caught 4 the next day. We caught 3 the previous day, so I think we can chalk up the great results to good fortune.