• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone think we should get our houses off?

I have seen some NUTS driving past my house on Big C. One guy had a 3/4 ton Dodge.

I had at least 6 inches of water around my house and that kinda freaked me out.

I know it is going to get colder but ...

I saw 3 guys on Sunday at Middle C taking fish houses off. One guy said the weatherman has him freaked out, doesn't look like its supposed to get colder anytime soon. Said he'd probly be kicking himself later but would rather be safe than sorry!

Just2Fish -- It is kinda freaky -- It is hard to know. Thanks for the info.

Eyehunter -- I don't know what to think. I have so much water on the ice.

I have about the same ice as I did when I put it there. Like nine inches. I wonder what the water is doing to it?

Hitman,

If you have 6 inches of water around your house what happens when/if it refreezes? You probably won't be able to get your house off. My personal opinion would be to take the permanent house off and fish out of portables. They have to be off soon anyway so might as well take it off while it is still movable.

if you have alot of water under/around your shack just move it off of its spot to get on a new area of ice. were supposed to get a bit colder the next few days, at least a bit under freezing for highs.

riding sleds out there, there are still slush spots under the remaining thicker snow areas, not anything like before, so on the up side, there isnt much for insulation on the ice anymore, so when it is below freezing we ought to be making ice...?

Guys just think of it this way...You wont have to worry about your house blowing away while on the ice. grin.gif We decided to pull our house off the lake this weekend. We had about 3 inches of water on top of the ice. Sucked when we had to get the trim out of the ice.

Code-Man

hit man i was one of those NUTS out on big c on sun,and we have 14" and no flooding problems at all.don`t know where your at,but we are out in front of the landing.sun. p.m.

Sorry MNRAY --

How much of that ice is good ice and how much is frozen slush?

Code --

I'm blocked up a lot but it is still creepy.

I guess the weather is turing cold. Sweet.

hit man. it was all good ice. my son was out there on mon. and tues,still no flooding around our house. with the weather coming in ,should be good this weekend.

It's been so nice out all I've been doing is dragging my portable around behind my 4 wheeler. 90% of the time I don't even bother putting it up. Some times I think it would be nice to have a permanent but I used to have one and I think I like the running and gunning better. Sure have gotten to know the structure a lot better on Big C. using my Aqua Vu all over. grin.gif

I 'spose I'll end up with another one some day but I'm not sure if I can sit still that long again. confused.gif

The only place I had my 3/4 ton Dodge on this year was on Round by Nisswa and Jamestown Res. I've been all over Big C. 4 wheeling and have drilled at least a thousand holes this year. You won't see my Dodge out there unless there's one HE// of a freeze.

I might have to agree with mnray on this one - I was out at Pelcian this past Saturday with my buddy again and there was a good 17 inches of ice where we were at - it was solid with no sluch or anything. We were for sure going to drive out there, but about 100 yards out on all directions of this private landing we have been using was about a foot of snow and slush - we tried to pound through it with the old F-150 because we knew the ice was good past it... We had no luck with that though. So, for the second time this year we had to drag the clam sleeper out while walking and laboring!

Fishing was awesome from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM and after that, absolutely nothing. We used dead sticks and minnows and had one hit on a yellow and green genz worm. We kept 4 15 inch walleyes and I swung and missed on 3 more!

I haven't been on Cormorant yet this year, but the ice on Pelican (at least where we have been going) has been solid - it should get thicker after this cold weather on the weekend.

Nice fish, Bison.

I knew I should have followed the Thundering Herd to Pelican. wink.gif

shoot, I'll tell you where the hot spot is because if you can find that private launch, you'll find this spot because its right there... I have tried to explain where this spot is a bunch but its hard to explain... Ok, start on your map at the boat launch on the lower left hand side (that's how we get to this spot in the open water season). Then trace right along the south shore until about the middle point on the South shore of the lake. You'll pass the first major looking point there where it feeds into the bay (this bay eventually goes to bass lake). The private landing is exactly right off that point there. I'm not exactly sure of the roads we take to get there, but you have to make your way along the south edge of the lake until you get there...

Take a hard right off the private launch and we are fishing about 200 yards off the right side of that point and out from where the shore turns into the bay off that point. Right now there is a house being built right by the landing... We are fishing straight out from that house about 200 yds off the shore that is on the inside turn of that bay - there is a huge drop - I'm talking it will be 8 ft and then take 2 steps (literally) and it will be 25 ft. - you have to be right on the base of that drop and the fishing has been pretty good in 20 ft of water - there is very little fishing preassure in this spot and I would recommend this spot! Good Luck!!

wow! thanks alot for the info...i'll let you know if i make it out. now this is what a fishing forum is all about! ha!

hit man, the kid caught some real small fish,and lost some others but said no decent ones,25 feet,should have stayed on pelican and followed bison9.

Ha! I'm hardly an expert of Pelican, I just have managed to find a pretty good spot and every time we go, we just hit this spot because it has been pretty good. I just happened onto this spot in October by just fishing the bases of a bunch of dropoffs. This spot seemed to be the best in October and seems to still produce fish consistently every time we go out. In the future I would like to learn Pelican a little better - in the Spring I am going to start jigging the weeds at night - I've heard that's dynamite in the Spring. It was the weirdest thing in October and Novemeber because istead of sitting on the drop and casting into the shallower weeds, we were actually casting out into 30 ft of water and working the jigs back up the dropoff and really having good success. Hopefully this spot will continue to produce... Right now, you really have to be there by sunset because the bite has only been lasting for an hour - but if you hit it at the right time, its been pretty good!

Man, I think I write too much sometimes but I love to talk fishing! Good Luck to all!

Ray --

That sounds about right. Thinking about taking off the main house and using the portable now that the water has turned back to its frozen state. cool.gif