• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Possession Limit

InTheSchool

I assume the possession limit will be two. Will this create problems for resorts on Red Lake? Their guests will only be able to keep two fish. While resorts/hotels off of the lake won't be able to keep track of where their customers fish and unethical fisherpeople could keep 6 Red Lake walleyes over the course of three days. Are there any other lakes in Minnesota with a different limit? Do they have problems?

It all boils down to one thing...ethics. Sadly I'm sure we will see and hear of double dipping, triple dipping and the smucks that fill the boat with illegal fish. I hope that by the time season opens enough poeple have learned from the past and gained enough respect for what can happen when greed plays a part in their decisions that we don't have an all out free for all on the walleye.

I definetly would not want to be the one taking illegal fish off of Red, increased patrols, law enforcement that mean bussiness and if the locals got ahold of them it would not be pretty. That water is going to be watched very closely.

I never thought of that. Sure, another can of worms opened up just when we're already up to our neck in them. I'm glad I'm not in charge. grin.gif

You didn't think of it because you wouldn't do it. I don't mean that In the School would either just because he thought of it ooo.gif.

I think we should all just worry about ourselves and make sure that we are informed of the rules so we can follow them and if we see somebody breaking the rules turn them in.

I can't worry about what some jerks are going to do given the chance. I have enough trouble figuring out what I can do where I am at on any given day smile.gif.

That was a good point though.

Hopefully the increase in eyes (the c.o. type and those of us honest sportsman)will keep the meat hunters away.We will all need to keep our eyes open and report,follow and do what ever it takes to protect the fishery.Maybe if the bad guys see that red is not an easy target they will not come. To bad the DNR cant increase the fines,jailtime restitution,loss of fishing privledges. this would keep some away. Looking forward to catching my 2... in 2006. phil

My brother thinks we should grab a few cold ones and go sit on the bridge over the tamarak and watch the "idgits" not all will be but I'm certain there will be enough for entertainment value. shocked.gif A nice wind from the west to give 4 footers would be a hoot. If we go I think a spotting scope might be a great idea, might help keep a few more people honest. Maybe a green and tan outfit would be a good idea too...... I have fished the lake in the summer and it is great just think access is going to be a huge problem.

assume the possession limit will be two. Will this create problems for resorts on Red Lake? Their guests will only be able to keep two fish. While resorts/hotels off of the lake won't be able to keep track of where their customers fish and unethical fisherpeople could keep 6 Red Lake walleyes over the course of three days. Are there any other lakes in Minnesota with a different limit? Do they have problems?

Amen to what Jon P said about ethics. Hopefully, most fisherman are honest and abide by the regulations that are set for a reason. Truth is though, I have stopped cars coming back from Red Lake with Walleyes in their possession that were caught on Red Lake. Why do you think I ask to search vehicles? These people are just as bad as the person who drives away from the pump and doesn't pay for their gas. They are all costing us money in the long run. I can assure you with 100% certainty that whoever I catch with Red Lake walleyes in the cooler will be punished to the fullest extent of the law!

I like it. cool.gif They get off the lake and are miles away but jerks that are taking too many walleyes still are not safe. Go get them Bigtrout.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think that overlimits will be that big of a problem. With a good CO presence, with the publicity of fines, who in there right mind is going to drive 300 miles, then risk losing a pickup for an extra walleye or three?

I think the biggest problem will be the people that live within an hour drive of Red coming day after day, week after week and taking their 2 walleyes per day. Perfectly legal but the harvest will really add up. As long as the walleye fishing remains 'easy' as compared to other lakes, that will be a problem.

wouldnt it be nice if we all just respected the laws of nature and the laws of the Creator, God, and were thankfull to live in such a beautiful area, or visit such a beautiful area?

Versus working up your blood pressure worrying about whos taking what, whos got how many acres.

I dont think thats what fishing is about...

The locals have the right to take their limits daily, thats the rewards you get when you live in paradise, I guess... grin.gif

Quote:

The locals have the right to take their limits daily, thats the rewards you get when you live in paradise, I guess...
grin.gif

Over here I've heard it called "homestead rights". The CO's don't seem to think it is a law tho. grin.gifgrin.gif

The possession limit on inland waters in minnesota is 6 fish, if you are fishing on red for three days you will be able to possess your 6 fish,(off the lake of course). It makes no difference if you are a "local", or a "tourist" on what you may keep. A good example would be if you fish Red on friday and keep two fish, then move to lake "whatever" on saturday and keep two fish, then come back to Red on Sunday and keep two fish, you are totally legal. Again assuming you didn't possess more than two at a time while on the water in a calendar day on Red. It will be up to each individual to do what they think is ethical in this case. Without a doubt, some will abuse the resource, that is always the case no matter where you go.

Stuffer1

We'll have to check with the CO's to get the right answer but I would be a little leery of showing a CO 6 walleyes from URL in my freezer and telling him I caught them on 3 different days. confused.gif

"That question is specifically clarified in the new special regulation language for Red Lake on page 24 of the new Fishing Regulation book. "Statewide bag limit may only include 2 Red Lake Walleye."

You may possess up to 6 walleye in your Minnesota possession limit but only 2 of those can be Red Lake Walleye. And you can not have those other 4 in possession on Red Lake."

That's good information to know,(I didn't realize that the new regulations were out yet for next season). Refering back to earlier statements though, it will be the same for everyone that fishes, local or otherwise.

If what you are saying is true that you may only have two Red Lake walleye in your possession at home in your freezer, how in the world do they intend to enforce that? Is there language in the new regs that we must tag them specially to prove that they came from Red?

When you make dinner at night and eat two fish, will they be Red lake walleye your cooking or fish you caught someplace else?

I think the only place the 2 fish limit can be enforced is on the lake or coming off the lake, since the possession limit is 6 most other places. Probably be next to impossible to enforce anywhere else, unless the DNR has some magical way of identifying where the fish came from. I expect there will be a lot of spot checks at the boat and at the landing.

Real easy to enforce... You just take 2 and you don't take 2 more until you eat the 2 you got. It's really, really simple!

No need for Game Wardens and how they are going to identify the remains, and if you eat the 2 Red Lake walleye when you have 6 in the freezer (hint the Red Lake pack is probably the one marked 2 walleye, Red Lake) or if you're gonna mix 6 of them up over a couple days and say you were fishing Blackduck....

It's all about honesty and integrity and ethics. You want to be a meat hunter and fill your freezer? Then go somewhere else... It's about time we as sportsman grow up! Abide by the rules (whether you agree with them or not), don't violate, and learn to enjoy your time fishing... the center of every trip does not have to center around how many fish you are going to take home and if there is a way to violate without getting caught. If in your heart, you know what you are doing is not right, or if you are even questioning if it is right (then it probably is not legit), then you no longer have a valid opinion pertaining to any other member of society and what they do or have the legitimate right to do, whether you agree with it or not (ie: net) Because as of that moment YOU ARE A POACHER!

Hint, Hint to all meat hunters wanting to come to Red and fish walleye... Stop by Moreys on your way home and fill up your trunk on $8 a pound fillets.... will be cheaper than getting caught with over the limit!

This post is not in reference to any one previous post but is rather a general post to any and all people reading it trying to figure a way around the rules...

Good Luck!

Ken

[quote} Refering back to earlier statements though, it will be the same for everyone that fishes, local or otherwise.

WE WERE MAKING A JOKE!!!!! O.K. stuffer1?????

Maybe Red Lake will be Minnesota fishermen's wakeup call. I learned that I could have a fantastic fishing trip without bringing fish home, back when Minnesota wouldn't let me bring more than 1 walleye home from Ontario. Do you know how much easier it is to go fishing and eat fresh fish on the trip and not worry about ice, freezers and skin patches etc? The days of filling your freezer for the future should be over.

I have a question. You guys have a real popular lake to north of you LOW. Just wondering how in the hell are they going to know if they pull you over and have more than two eyes where they came from. Or six eyes for that matter. Won't everyone tell them they are coming from Lake of the Woods. Not saying thats what I am gong to do I proably won't visit the circus on Red this summer. Just courious.

Maybe not?

You can have 4 walleyes from Lake of the Woods and 2 from Red and the state posession limit is 6, so how would that work?

I just got a nose bleed from thinking too hard. confused.gif

bigtrout-

Quote:

I can assure you with 100% certainty that whoever I catch with Red Lake walleyes in the cooler will be punished to the fullest extent of the law!

THANK YOU SIR!

With regards to the situation for fishermen returning from LOW, I think the size limits on both northerns and walleyes are also different, aren't they?

Not trying to add fuel to the fire here, but these are things that will probably eventually have to be addressed, if they haven't been already.

Ahh Man... confused.gif

Just when we think its safe to go back on the water, here we go again, with the fill up the freezer, what if, talk... frown.gif

Can't we just say "well that was a good day fishing, time to call it a day"...

It's been a brutal day, I'm drunk and not very smart but smarter then some of you. grin.gif The fry stocked in Upper and Lower Red Lakes were marked with a dye. Me and you cann't see it but the law can tell within hours if that is a Red Lake walleye or not. 90% of the walleyes being caught the next few years will be marked. How good are your odds to have one of the 10% not marked in your cooler when they check?

"Can't we just say "well that was a good day fishing, time to call it a day"..."

That would be great, except that there are always those in the crowd who look at it as some sort of a race or competition - who can get the most, the biggest, the fastest...

The dye in the fish should certainly help with the enforcement efforts - never thought of that.

If you are coming from LOW a patch of skin has to be left on your fish to ID walleyes from Sauger. Any fish without a patch of skin will be considered walleye regardless. the resorts up there that package fish are very good about that. I don't see anything in the regs on skin being left on Red Lake eyes.

As Ogema said wasn't it a great day, time to call it quits. NO WALLEYES!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well chicken on the grill will work. It sure was a fun day. Bill

When i go to LOW then back to Red i get a reciept for gas or bait or boat landing so i have proof of being there.