• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Virtual Tour of The Rest Please?

graffitigreg

Virtual Tour?

Greetings – I think we’ve pretty much all been drooling over the RLN’s part of URL and all of LRL. Not much information is available about what lies behind the line - maybe we drool too much?

Would one of you that is familiar with the lake, or all of you, take us on a virtual tour starting at the URL line and heading west – ending up on the east shore of LRL. Include any detail please. How deep is the narrows? What happens to structure in URL as you head west? Sunken Islands? Steep drop-offs? Just about anything to help paint a picture. What about structure in LRL? Depths?

We are never going to get there – which is fine with me - but the grass is always greener you know!

HOW GREEN IS IT?

Tell the truth - We could very easily be fooled by stories of monsters, world records, or stringers of five pound crappies and four pound Perch! Fabrications and inaccuracies must be accompanied by this symbol: ("BS").

UNfortunately, my friend, I cannot help you with this one. I have never been on the upper, and only limited areas of the lower lake.

Some things I have heard, is that the lower lake is deeper, but overall it is not a deep lake. I know on the southwest side it is not that deep as we could walk quite far out when swimming. Both east and southwest sides are sandy beaches that make excellent swimming. The shore where I live has lots of rocks that extend out a little ways, and make for unfun swimming.

I would love to get out on a big boat and cruise the lakes from my house all the way to the upper part, but haven't invested in a boat yet. My family used to do some waterskiing, and have did some tubing out our way the last few years.

I did hear that there were some "deadheads" floating around out there, that one had to be cautious of, possibly from the old stamboats that used to carry logs from the sawmill in Redby.

Maybe someone else can help, with the other questions you have.

From what I have heard LRL has a max depth of 22 feet and does have more structure than URL. I have also heard of 27 lb eyes, 7 lb slabs, 63 lb gators, and 6 lb perch. I also hear that Elvis has a nice cabin on the south shore.

Quote:

I also hear that Elvis has a nice cabin on the south shore.

Ya it's just down from Hoffas place. grin.gif

I would bet the reservation water has some of the old deadheads bobbing around from the logging days. I have come across a few on upper but far and few between. Lower does have the outlet on the west end so what little bit of current that is in the lake heads that way pulling those old logs and spur poles with it. I have also heard rumors of strong current around the point? It would make sense when the wind is strong out of the west the Tamarac river rises quickly, I would bet it sucks many gallons through the narrows when this happens.

The water must really rush through "The Point" when the wind changes. Rudy told me once that they could not set nets there because the current would carry the nets away. Years ago I traded the Red Lake Bands DNR a copy of my map of the non reservation part of Upper for their copy of their waters. I drooled when I looked at it. grin.gif My Grandpa always talked about all the Northerns out from Menomin (SP?) Creek. He said that sometimes when he had dropped off his load of fish at Redby he would swing back along the north shore of Upper to stay out of the wind. Out from Menomin Creek it was big steady swirl ahead of the boat from northerns spooking away.

Kelly-p, you should post a pic or scan of the map. That would be cool to see grin.gif. Thanks for the plowing the road out to the ridge this weekend. Didn't get our limit, but we got a few wink.gif.

I'll bet it would be a great place to be anchored when the current is coming through that gap by the point.

I've often wondered when the crappies are hard to come by if they are out there suspended in that deeper water in the big lake.

It has been mentioned several times on this forum about putting up a barrier between the two lakes - I don't know if this would be a good idea because it could interfere with the natural movement of the fish between the two lakes. I have fished the Bigfork & Littlefork river systems quite a bit, and it always amazes me when I think about how far those fish have must have traveled to get there - in the upper reaches of the river - probably all the way from Lake of the Woods.

Aw Come On! Somebody regale us about the rest of the lake. Weave us a story. Help us see it through your eyes!

We don't have much of a story to share about URL. We have this chunk of dinner plate shaped lake - shallow shores - sand dunes on the east like Ogema said were in eastern LRL - about 13 feet of water and one small sunken island close to the line topping out at about nine feet. Then there are the Cheerios - but that's a different subject.

Tell us about the narrows and I'll tell you about the Cheerio Theory!

We have to remember that it is "across the Line" and we have to respect that. If I posted it some fisherman would think, I bet I can sneak over there and try it without getting caught". Get caught and cause a bunch of trouble.

As far as my own maps of URL,,,,you'ld have to break into the bank and find my safety deposit box. grin.gifgrin.gif

Hey gregg, all I can tell you about the poiint, narrows, is that I first saw it about 3 years ago, hard to believe huh? But its true, I do know it is a very sacred, spiritual place, that has a lot of significance to my people.

I can tell you that it is awesome, beautiful, and amazing. Looks about maybe a mile across about a mile long, and I always see a ton of pelicans and other waterfowl hanging in this one area, which usually means one thing... shocked.gif

I did hear the upper lake was like a donut. I haven't fished much in the past few years on the big lake, but straight out from our house, they were catching good this weekend.

One of the most awsome experiences I had was to see the lakes from the air when landing in Bemidji, I asked tthe pilot if he could take a little swing to the north, thankfully he did, because as I was flying, I saw Mil Lacs and other big lakes and thought wow! those are big, but when I saw the Reds, it was unlike no other lake I saw from the air, once in the winter, and another when they werent frozen. We all share something unique, with these lakes, no matter how much we "got"

Happy fishing on URL, I have yet to hear a comment about anybody not liking going to Upper Red...

Kelly… You map hugger! I wasn’t suggesting I’d fire up my rig and using the description provided run across the line for a look/see. I may have a little trouble with highway speed limits but when it comes to hunting and fishing rules they get my complete respect. All of us have learned a lot since the 70’s/80’s.

Thanks Ogema – it does sound like the narrows might be the #1 ‘Fisherpersons Heaven’ here in the lower 48. I’ve a buddy with a plane and I’ll see if this summer I can arrange a fly-over to see it for myself – there are no air space restrictions are there? If you run into a fishing storyteller, and he wants to share, have him post.

Sorry about RLN's continued stress from 321! It’s gotta be a real downer to know it could have maybe been prevented. I hope the kids learned as much from this as we fisherpersons have from the decline and fall of the fishery. Cooperation in all aspects of life – helping the weak and borrowing against the strong – is where our compass should always point.

No… No complaints about URL from me. But… The smell of a gentle breeze from the west when I’m out there sure is sweet. I don’t care if I ever fish it or not – makes no difference – I just would really like to see it. Maybe if I get a little submarine with a periscope – are sub-surface vehicles regulated? (lol).

actually Greg, I believe there is air space restrictions, but one could get permission, let me know if you hook up the airplane, maybe I can help.

I will check for sure on the airspace...

As well as some fish stories from up there...