• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prospects for Late May Fishing on Kab

Hey gang --

I have my fifth annual Kabetogama fishing trip with my college buddies in late May. The reason that I am writing is that we have had terrible luck the last two seasons. We caught some fish, but it seemed a little slow.

Anyone have any perspective on spots that we need to fish during that timeframe? Do we need to looking into moving our trip to later in the summer? Any other tips? confused.gif

Don't get me wrong, we still have fun, but the slow fishing means more time at the Roadhouse and Shea Shea -- both of which I don't need. wink.gif

Also just to be clear...I would like spring 'eye hot spots, but also some places were I can grip some Smallies. I am also interested in hooking into 10+ pound pike (no hammer handles please). Thanks!

Love, Kaby Mud Bug

Late May can be highly variable in where you are going to find walleye. I would strongly consider hiring a guide like Tim or Wade Watson or trying a bit later in the season. July and August can be very productive in the park.

Like Booter said...spring fishing can be VERY different day to day. The weather patterns seem to consistantly change, and the fish follow the wind.

You need to find good island structures, which is why KAB is difficult...we have too many "ideal" structures or areas to easily perdict where the walleye's will move. Next is the wind, find areas where the wind is blowing into or across these structures.

Finally, CHANGE...change areas, tactics, depths, colors...and finally you will find something that the fish like...use live bait and cover a variety of depths...the can be in 2-10 feet or 25-40' that time of year.

Pay attention to the water temp.

Enjoy! Hope to see you on the water...

Kab Kid

The prior posts hit it on the head. There are many, many possible locations for finding late May walleyes on kab. My advice would be to try multiple tactics. Pitching shallow water and going for the deep breaks as well. I would stay tuned to the latest reports on this forum as your trip approaches.

If possible I think you would benefit with a day of guiding to start you trip. This will give you the latest pattern and type of water that the fish are being found in. Jigs and minnows are a good choice. Watch the wind and think about areas that the wind will be concentrating bait as areas to target for active fish. Try covering lots of water to determine types of structure that are holding active fish. Usually you can find both shallow water and deep water walleye action this time of year. Once you find fish in a particular type of area look for other areas with similar patterns.

Bman

Yo, Mad buggy. You want some secrets on fishing Kabby in May? Try night bobber fishing some underwater structure in 5-10 feet. You just might be surprised. Pretty, pretty surprised.

Wow! I really appreicate all of the information and tips that I can use on the trip. You guys are great! I will also plan to frequent this board as my trip gets closer.

I really enjoy Kab. It may be one of the hightlights of the year. I am hoping that these tips lead to more fish this year! If not, can I plan to buy you guys a beer or Long Island Ice Tea at 'ole Shea Sheas?

It is funny that you brought up the night bobber fishing. One of my buddies (he is Egyptian and doesn't fish much) had great luck doing that last year in the Grassy's. We could not believe it. The problem with it was that they would only bite on the bobber and shiner right as the sun was going down. This only gave us about a half hour window to catch a few 'eyes. We now call that buddie of mine -- Bobberhead! Great fun!

Thanks again guys! -- Kaby Mud Bug

Kab Kid -- Thanks for the tips. Without sounding like too much of a rookie, can you elaborate a little more on the water temp comment? Not sure what to look for, etc.

Mud Bug,,, Wow!!! you've gotten lots of help... Just a note on the water temps.. Generally once the water temps get up into the 60's, the bait fish, shiners, perch, etc, move shallow to spawn... Once this happens, watch the wind and fish the windy areas, bays, shorelines. The food supply is now good, the walleyes know it. If water temps are in the 50's generally fish the deeper areas, as the bait fish are still deep... Hope that this helps... Fishkab

Also, Mad Buggy. Forget about "Sha Sha's" or "The Roadhouse". Stick close to home. You'll want to hit up Rocky Ledge on this trip. The owner's are friendly and the drinks are to die for.

Hey all, Great stuff on previous posts. A few points I'd like to make. We have an unusal year coming up perhaps,ie; ice thickness now max at 16-18", normal auger extension time, at 36" plus. Warm weather type Feb and March expected, this opens a whole new picture.

How about crappie fishing from boat and Pike fishin in Namakan Lake, like maybe in late March or early April, it might just happen. How that scenario will affect opener on Kab and most Northern lakes, don't know.

2nd point this is the last scheduled year of the current slot on Kab/Nam/Crane etc. They will start talks in the near future. I have my ideas and suggestions that I'll express under a new post in the near future. guts

• 3 months later...

Our group is going up for the 7th out of 8 years running the day after Memorial day. Wwe always use a lighted slip-bobber in 6-12 ft with leeches or minnows after dark. Unless its dead calm, we usually do fairly well for passively fishing. -BAWS