• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What a great weekend for fishing, temps were decent and the fish were biting. Blackduck Lake is continuing to produce good numbers of perch in all depths (although we fish the deeper waters as getting into the shallower the smaller perch are dominant), and had several anglers doing very well on the Duck over the weekend. Even in the deeper waters you will still find the smaller perch so you will do some weeding, but finding plenty of keepers in the 10"-12" range. Few pike came in over the weekend, but the walleye bite isn't as hot and heavy, with folks just getting a couple of real nice ones, but not many folks are staying on the Blackduck into the evening hours. If the bite continues to do good it should make for a close contest when the Jaycees have the fishing derby in a couple of weeks.

The other lakes in the Blackduck area also have produced good numbers of panfish. We had several folks hitting different lakes in the area and coming back with some good size gills, perch and some 3/4 pound crappies.

For the folks who headed to Upper Red the fishing wasn't too bad either. Some folks got just a few, had two anglers who had 10 and for the three guys who ventured away from the crowds they reeled in their limits of crappies (13"-14") after playing some catch and release last night. From the folks I talked to, the bite started in the 5-5:30 range, crappies were on the bottom but a slow move of the line to about 2' from the bottom had the crappies coming up and taking the minnow.

Drake

Do they have date set for the fishin contest yet? I've been to it the last few years and have actually broght home a couple prizes. Is the fishin still pretty good on the little area lakes or has it slowed down again after warmfront ended?

kobb

Hey Kobb, welcome to the Blackduck forum. Yes, the fishing derby is set for Sunday, February 19th (last day of walleye & pike season) from 1 to 4pm at the public access. Prizes for the top 13 fish caught, as well as prizes for the first fish, smallest fish, biggest perch, just like previous years. $10 entry fee, kids 12 and under free and shelters will be allowed. What have you won before? If you have any questions on it you can shoot me an e-mail.

At the little local lakes the fishing was pretty good on Friday and Saturday reeling in some decent panfish, so the change in the weather didn't affect the fishing this time. (But Pimusche was slow, but haven't heard much happening at Pimusche the last week or two), Little quieter around here yesterday, only had two guys hit one of the smaller lakes yesterday and they were pretty pleased with their catch of the day (couple others headed to Upper Red, 2 caught five crappies; the other half headed to Upper Red for a couple hours and he brought back seven which is good for a couple of meals).

Good luck if you head to the fishing derby!

actually the game fish season is open until feb 26th this year, it was extended. Here is from the DNR news release:

GAME FISH SEASON OPEN UNTIL FEB. 26

Anglers will have extra days to pursue walleye, sauger, northern pike, muskie, largemouth and smallmouth bass, thanks to a recent change that keeps the fishing season for those species open until the last Sunday in February - Feb. 26 this year.

The change, enacted by the Legislature last summer, does not apply to spearing season, which closes Feb. 19.

Thanks for the reply Drake. I had won a gift certificate to hillcrest and I got $25 for smallest fish. I think it was a half ounce perch. grin.gif I'll have to try for that again this year. wink.gif Will we have to drill our own holes again this year or do they need any help drilling for the contest? Glad to give a hand if needed. See you at the contest.

kobb

Last year I caught the first fish and won 11th place with a nice perch. I won a wonderful Quilt that is on the spare bedroom bed. We will be back this year to see what else we can win.

Hope for cold weather to make some more ice! grin.gif

Last year I took third place. I won a strikemaster auger. The prices are really nice and the tourney is a lot of fun. For those of you that are wondering if you should give it a try, I say to go for it. Fishing has been really good out there!!!

Woodman, I hope to see you out there again this year!

Good luck everyone.

Kupcho

We are planning it, so look me up. I will have my Green burb with my logo's on it. I will be pulling a trailer with a wheeler and my house.

Hope the weather is great again. Are you going to be putting out tip ups again, or actually fishing this year? grin.gif

Ouch!!! That hurts Woodman. I'll have to keep trying things until I get it right. That may take me a while...

Good luck.

Take care

Kupcho

Hope to see you guys out there at the contest. Our little guy is talking that he wants to fish the contest this year too, he's wanting that $750 prize. Hopefully the bite will continue the way it has been, although it slowed down a little over the weekend when that cold snap came through, but there were still some jumbo perch that came through as well as a few walleyes.

Kobb, don't know if about the drilling of the holes at the Derby, but I should be talking to them soon, at the latest when they come to pick up the tickets we're selling here for them.

Good luck to you guys!

No hurt intended! grin.gif I thought I would get a reaction out of you! I am home suffering Pnomonia, with a sick kid on top of that! Last weekend was my first weekend not ice fishing since Christmas break. I barrowed out my portable and permanent to take away all the temptations.

I am going to rest so I can attend the tournaments that weekend. Gander Mountain/Bemidji JC's on Sat and Blackduck on Sunday.

We should have plenty of ice now, so that will not be a concern.

Talk at ya later,

I wasn't offended Woodman. I hope you feel better. I'm a little rusty at fishing anyway. I haven't had time for about three weeks now. I had a guide trip up to LOW and then basketball started with teaching on top of that. Things have been a little busy and I haven't had a chance to get on the lake. I'm starting to get the shakes!!! grin.gif

Good luck

Kupcho

We were out on Blackduck yesterday afternoon, for a couple hours of fishing, but only reeled in a couple of walleye. The water was pretty clear so had the underwater camera down in one of the holes, and could see the walleye swimming by, the two that we caught were by bouncing the minnow off the bottom and then raising it about a foot..caught the first couple around 2:30, but none after that (still saw them down there but no takers).

Couple of guys were out there starting to get things set up for the derby next Sunday, and they were clearing off an area near the access for parking. The contest is going to be to the north of the access, you can take your house out there but then need to park your truck by the access and they will shuttle you to the derby area. FYI, to be in for the early bird drawing you have to get your tickets by Thursday.

Yes, shelters are going to be allowed. Sounds like that's an excellent idea after looking at the extended forecast, right now it's showing a cold front heading in on Tuesday night.

drake, two questions, first how do i get to the access from Bemidji? and two should i bring my auger or will holes be pre-drilled?

Shoot up 71 to Blackduck. Once you get into town, we're on the right side of the freeway, but on the LEFT side of the freeway (west) you will see Shell/Timberline Sports and Countryside Restaurant. Turn left onto the road between Shell and Countryside; take that road approximatley 1.5-2 miles and you will run right into the public access of Blackduck Lake.

They will predrill holes, but you may want to take your auger if you are using your shelter, so you can line up the holes with your shelter. Big warm up on Sunday, 15 degrees, so you'll probably want your shelter smile.gif

Good luck!

Today at the tournament was a lot of fun and a long run for the first fish again this year! grin.gif I had a school of perch under before the contest started, so I added some waxies to my hook when we got the ok to fish. I had a HUGE perch hit the waxie on the way down and the wife opened up the door and I started to run. It seemed like a mile to get to the scale first to weigh in my 2oz perch. I had to run fast because another guy was running from the south but my fish showed me the way! grin.gif

We managed to catch 10 perch today with the biggest weighing in at 6 oz, one oz shy of the prizes. The biggest fish was a 9 lb and some oz northern. Some eyes were caught and I had one smelling my bait but would not bite. I would have gotten 2nd place if I could have inticed him to bite. He was a nice eye.

We were fishing 16 ft of h20 so we could site fish. We had 18 perch at one time under us but they would not bite. The jumbo's just smelled like the eye did. I tried different lures, bait and even some magic juice. grin.gif

Excellent turn out and another great year at the contest.

Thanks to the Blackduck Jaycees and all the volunteers. You guys did an excellent job again! cool.gif

Who got lucky 7, thats what i was shootin for. grin.gif$750 sounded pretty good. I weighed in 1 7 ounce perch and the guy ahead of me had just weighed in a 1pound 2ounce perch, that perch was quite the hog. Had a pretty good time any way though.

kobb

I had the same luck that you did Woodman and kobb. We caught one 6 oz perch and a couple of other smaller fish. After the derby we went to another spot out there and did really well. We ended up with our limit of perch before dark. We did get lucky enough to get into a few crappies out there too.

I didn't want to walk to every green suburban to find you though. Maybe next time we can meet up.

Talk to you later

Good luck

Kupcho

Didn't do the contest, but the other half was fishing on the Duck away from the contest with some of our guests...they had registered for the contest but changed their mind and fished out by our hard house. But they had a good time and caught some dandy perch, including one guy who had one that was a hog that measured a little over 13". I popped down there and it looked like a pretty decent turnout, especially with the weather. Did have one guy who came in and said that they their group took two of the prizes, but not the $750 one...just shy of that prize.