• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Predictions on Ice Conditions for EelPout Fest?

Planning to make this my first pout fest. Wondering what the ice and snow look like. Pout fest will be in two weekends starting on the 10th. Of course, my snowmachines are up at my place in Tower and there is no time to go get them (I live in IL). From the sound of things, I am not sure it will be a great idea to drive the SUV out to a spot. Might end up walking my stuff out to a spot or finding me a nice looking girl to bring along and have her sweet talk one of you guys into towing my stuff out with your 4 wheeler or sled - LOL.

Anyway, what's it looking like ice wise????

Capt

Captain,

The DNR was out in Walker Bay last week and they were saying they found 14 inches of ice consistantly through out the bay. I'm not sure what type of ruler they were using but I haven't seen 14 inches all year.

I do believe this warm weather accually helped us in being able to make ice. The snow is totally off the bay now and we are supposed to get some cold weather later this week. If we get a cold snap in I think we will be alright. I hope anyway it is a lot of fun and we sure like having the activity in town.

I was up to Leech on Sat. and the DNR report is fairly acurate. Under what is left of the snow drifts I measured a bit over 12" with the bottom of the drift slushy. Out on the bare spots the ice was 14" with the top 2" being frozen slush. I was only on the south end of walker bay and don't know about the main lake. Most of vehicles I saw on the ice were cars and small SUVs like old Bronco IIs and Toyotas etc. I did see an old ford 2 wheel drive pick-up a little ways out from the Onigum "access". Where people had driven through slush puddles the ice was pretty rough otherwise the ice was fairly smooth. For the first trip up there this year the fishing was fair several nice jumbo perch, a few eater perch, one 15" eye and half a dozen rock bass.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Sounds promising, although I am not optimistic on driving the Toyota Sequoia out on the ice. Probably have to show some leg and see if I can get someone to help haul my stuff out. grin.gif I knew when I started leaving my machines up in Tower I'd need them somewhere else.....or maybe I see if the wife will let me buy a 4 wheeler to use - you know, for my own safety - so I don't have to risk driving the truck out.

This is a direct quote taken off of the Eelpout Festival webpage.

Quote:

Ice conditions on Leech Lake are inconsistent, however, there are favorable ice conditions near Walker City Park with 15+inches reported in early January with new ice being added daily. The 2006 festival is on as scheduled!

With the revenue that the area business' and the city of Walker pull in every year, I bet it will be a go in some shape or form.

d

If ya need a hand getting out there we'll have the wheelers around and can give you a hand. I think it'll be all systems go as far a driving though, just no school busses or RV's.

I've heard through work (Forest Service) that sheriffs are not going to allow anyone to drive on Leech during EelPout Fest, except wheelers and snowmobiles.

Good to know. I don't think we would drive out anyway. Just because they allow it, doesn't mean you have to do it.

According to the eelpout fest web, they are only restricting large vehicles (busses, RV's etc...).

I would believe the forest service or Sheriff dept over the eelpout fest web though. The festival has a vested interest in getting as may people up there as possible. Maybe they think if they post that traffic will be limited to sleds and wheelers, they might lose patrons.

Thanks again for the heads up. We will be sure to pack light.

D

Do you fish in the contest or do you just observe?

How long have you been in St. Michael? I built a house in Albertville 3yrs ago.

D

I heard the same thing from the sheriff in town that only ATVs and snowmobiles would be allowed to use the public accesses. Ill be on the lake taking in and watching the activities from my place in Walker.

I don't know if they'll keep people from driving on the lake, personally I don't see the need for it theres 16" out there and the temps are dropping. I'm driving out to my house and I'm not the only truck out there.

I know a guy who talked to the sheriff at the landing the other day and he confirmed what they say on the eelpout website, and that was before the temps dropped.

I guess my thought on it is how many people do you see on the other side of Pine Island at LOTW when theres 16"?

No one thinks twice about that. Just my .02