• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Little early but...

Anyone on here ever duck hunt Lake of the Woods? My family has had a cabin up there as long as I have been around and my family is deer hunters only. I would like to give it a try in one of the bays and a slough north of Red Lake. Any info would be nice. Thanks.

have never hunted the area but have heard great things about the area...in my opinion there is nothing like big water hunting! wish I had a cabin up there...

SA/wdw

I met a guy who has a cabin on an island on the canadian side of the lake. He had a duck boat custom made by Lake Assult and the thing is like 30 feet long, twin, yes twin 225 4-stroke outboards, a Lowerance xc-111 or whatever to navigate with. This is his "duck boat". The thing is the front of the boat drops down so he can land his 14 foot jon boat right inside his 30 footer. So all he does is drive around the lake untill he sees a bunch of birds, anchors, shoves off in his jon boat and sets up to hunt there. He showed us the boat and it was something else. So yeah, people do duck hunt LOW, but in a different style I guess.

Sorry about the quality, all I had was my camera phone

duckboatcabin.jpg

duckboatfront.jpg

That's a buddy of mine standing next to it in the camo jacket to get a idea of how big this puppy is.

21.jpg

I can believe that. I have see a few monsters sitting around in the summer. Central Minnesota you noramlly see 14'-16' old beat up aluminum boats but up there it's the massive deep V's and what not. As far as a location I was thinking around 4 mile bay, Morris Point and the creeks leading to the big lake. Not sure if the fall fisherman enjoy getting rained on by all that ammo flying!! wink.gif

Jason there is a sight out there that is dedicated to MINNESOTA WATERFOWLER(s) and the fellas on there did some pretty spectacular hunts on LOW. They will tell you lots they are a good bunch of guys. Not sure how to get you the sight without being in violation wink.gifwink.gif

ike

I've hunted both areas you talk about. Let me know if you want some info on LOW. I can probably help and if not, I know guys who can.

Also, Upper Red is untouched as far as watefowling goes.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you some LOW pics smile.gif

[email protected]

And by the way, I would love that big boat!!!! LOW is not for land lovers. I think I have been afraid for my life on most outings smile.gif

There is State Land north of Red Lake that I found some nice sloughs. I'm not sure how well it would be there with so many miles of woods around. Might not produce like the big body of water to the north. Thanks for the info guys, love this.

When you get up north there,if you can find some smaller lakes with lots of wild rice in the inlets/outlets you can have some fun shooting for sure. Haven't been near the big lakes, usually stick to the smaller.

I grew up on the Canadian side of lake of the woods around Morson. I seen the numbers of ducks decrease in the last few years but when hunting was good we had some awesome shoots. I remember one year we pulled up in this channel and it was just full of divers, most flew off and some dove but the ones that dove didnt stay down very long cuz they were so fat and came back up like bobbers. It was late October and it was snowing pretty good, so when the ducks came back it was like they appeared out of nowhere. 8 of us filled out on divers and mallards and we even seen 2 moose about 100 yards down from us cross the channel. Even after all that shooting, found out that gunshots dont bother a moose cuz I tried to scare one off when I was pushing an island one time and fired a round in the rock next to him and he just stood there so the next round I put him down. it was A cow and a calf and she swam through 3 inches of ice, about 20 feet of it cuz it was frozen on the edges. I never did bother duck hunting last fall and my buddies that did go out said it was the slowest year ever. I got hooked on goose hunting here close to home, just minutes away and access to lotsa land. Hopefully this fall is better. Brian

Did you just say that you were duck hunting and you shot a moose? Am I assuming that you shot a moose with a duck load - out of season? or am I reading your post wrong?

Quote:

Did you just say that you were duck hunting and you shot a moose? Am I assuming that you shot a moose with a duck load - out of season? or am I reading your post wrong?

thats what I gathered from his post as well.

hmmm....??

SA/wdw

Geeez. Lay off the guy. First off, he said he dropped the moose--probably not using #2 steel. Second, he was in Canada.

Third, that's a sweet story!!!

Nice shot on the moose!!!

Quote:

I tried to scare one off when I was pushing an island one time and fired a round in the rock next to him and he just stood there so the next round I put him down. it was A cow and a calf and she swam through 3 inches of ice, about 20 feet of it cuz it was frozen on the edges.

I still dont understand. So you shot at a bull moose (since you said "him") once to scare him away then shot him down. But then you say it was a cow and a calf. WTF? Did it quack?

Quote:

8 of us filled out on divers and mallards and we even seen 2 moose about 100 yards down from us cross the channel. Even after all that shooting, found out that gunshots dont bother a moose cuz I tried to scare one off when I was pushing an island one time and fired a round in the rock next to him and he just stood there so the next round I put him down. it was A cow and a calf and she swam through 3 inches of ice, about 20 feet of it cuz it was frozen on the edges.

Well he said " 8 of us filled out on divers and mallards and we even seen 2 moose about 100 yards down from us cross the channel. Even after all that shooting " so it sounds like it was after duck hunting?? well whatever.. end of discussion for now unless something comes up. tongue.gif

geeez! Can you guys read?

"cuz I tried to scare one off when I was pushing an island one time"

Seperate story...

Quote:

Yes we can read, but i think there is a thing called bad wording

and another thing called "style" and "writing ability"...when a story jumps around from here to there you can't blame the reader for taking things a different way.

So first thing you do if you don't understand something is to assume he is guilty? Hmmm.

Ya, I agree, his writing skills are weak but if you can't figure out what he is saying it could be more reader error than anything. If you really thought he downed a moose with duck loads than this is beyond help. My point was, give the guy a break. It's obvious he shot the moose at a different time period. Before you ask for his head, maybe check with him first.

Ya. This is the kinda stuff that comes up during the offseason.

Sorry there people. Shall I i try to make it more clear? Try the best I can. That same day WHILE we were duck hunting, a cow and calf moose came out and ran away. Meaning, here we are looking over our decoys, some ducks would come in and we would shoot them and more ducks would come and do some more shooting. During all this shooting from us shooting at ducks thats when the 2 moose came out. None of us shot at them ( the 2 moose ) even though the moose season was open, none of us had a rifle on hand. We were there to hunt ducks not moose. The 2 moose came out while we were sitting there MEANING we had been SHOOTING at ducks earlier and the moose still came out. Thats when i learned gunshots dont bother a moose. So plain and simple, we were shooting ducks, moose came out and swam the channel and ran off, and we continued duck hunting. Sorry but when I mentioned the moose I did shoot, you know where I said I shot to scare it off and ended up shooting it anyway, that was a different moose, different day, different island, and probably different year. And yes this was all in Canada where I do most of my hunting. You can stop scratching your head now. Sorry about any confusion. Forgive me I am only human. Brian

I can say this, that wasn't my first moose and won't be my last one either. As Forrest Gump would say " Thats all I got to say about that." Can't wait til next fall! Brian