• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Largest perch you ever caught

tunrevir

Just curious to see if anyone has caught a true 2-2+ pound perch. This time of year with the feedbags on there must be a chance at getting one in that range. Was out Sat. and we caught 4 eyes in the 15-16" range one 22" beauty that went back and thirteen Jumbo perch the biggest were in the 13-131/2" range and had huge bellies. Couldn't weigh them as I didn't have a scale. Any idea what they might have weighed? Deadstick did nothing and you'd get 2-3 looks before the perch would commit to the jigging spoon.

Tunrevir~

I have a thirteen and a half on the wall which was from years ago and was one of the biggest I had ever caught at the time.It had a football belly and weighed 1lb 6oz.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Last winter i got a 15 and 1/4 inch and a 15 incher the 15 was a male and went 1 pound 9 oz and the 15 1/4 was a female that was 1 pound 14 oz i so thought i had the two pound mark broke but i was close both are being mounted.

Nice fish all in all, I think a nice 2lb yellowbelly would look nice on the wall. Tough mark to break that 2 lb mark. A 2lb perch would equate to a lb eye, lb northern, lb crappie, lb sunfish if you were going to mount it?

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

a week ago yesterday, i had one come in from behind the camera to the bait. it may have been the angle, but that was the biggest perch i'd ever seen. it was huge! when it missed my bait it turned and i saw white on the bottom of its fins...ive seen some pretty stripped walleyes before, but not like this one. this one had a pointy head and huge belly/depth like a perch. maybe i saw the first walleye/perch hybrid??? haha

i also got one 10-1/2" perch that day.

dont know when ill be able to make it up again. everything is ready to go, its a fishermans dream and i cant go...

i think trophies are an individual preference. mine for a walleye is 30". its changed over the years. one year i caught and released a 29-1/2", ll lb walleye up north of selkirk on the red river. one half hour before that, i released a 28-1/2" 10 pounder. i have a priceless picture of each fish in a folding frame on my file cabinet... i dont know what i'd do if i caught a 30"er. northerns are another story. i dont want anything to do with those snot-rockets. bass run a close second to northerns for me. now crappies & sunfish are in a class by themselves. i was raised by my grandfather who was a panfish fisherman. he mostly concentrated on lake osakis. ive got a history that goes back to when i was a toddler fishing on that lake. he always talked about the 2 lb 2 oz sunfish he caught out of osakis, but ive never seen it matched. in the late 50's i got 5th place in the saint paul dispatch fishing contest overall championship with a 1 lb 8 oz sunfish. so, i'ld have to say 2 pounds for a sunfish. a 2 pound crappie is not that uncommon, especially with what happened to red lake. my brother has told me stories of 3 to 4 pound crappies coming from a northern wisconsin lake, but those are stories. im thinking a 3 pound crappie is pretty special.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Personally, 16" is my best and my dad had one pushing 17". That was back in the time when there were alot of big perch on Green Bay. We used to fish the reefs quite a bit. Never got all that many but most times we would come home with 20 to 30 that were close to the 13 to 14" range.

Best on Mille Lacs is 14.5". We have caught quite a few of those. We have never been able to hit the 15" barrier up there though. It doesnt matter, a nice limit of 13 to 14" perch makes me smile every time.

Any pictures of those 13-14" limits? Mearuring fish by holding them by the lip next to a ruler can get almost 1" longer. Mearuring them with the nose butted up to a board and mearuring to the tail is the right way to measure them. I just weighed a true 14" at Portside and it weighed right on at 1# 8 oz.

I thought everyone in Mora knew that guy? Just goes to show..."Ya never can tell!" grin.gif I'm going to try to make a trip up to Ann, or Knife, sometime during the week here, if the weather holds. Do the afternoon and evening bite. Oh, my largest perch was 13 3/4 inches.

i have a co worker at work that caught one saturday that he weighed in on his scale at 2lbs he never mesured it but i saw the pic on his digital camera what a pig tongue.gif

I think my mom has the pics at home of those perch. I forgot to download them from my computer when I switched jobs last spring. I sent the pics to a guy that I know who writes for the Green Bay paper and he couldnt believe the fish that we had. Two years ago in March my dad and I got on them two weekends in a row up there. Our 40 fish didnt quite fit in a 5 gallon bucket. It was the best perch fishing that I have ever had on jumbos. We spent more time driving up there than fishing both times that we went up. We were between two large groups of guys about a half mile on either side. Not sure, but I dont think they were on them like we were. We could see guys coming towards us and had the fish put in the truck and reeled up our baits under the ice so that they couldnt see our fish and we didnt catch anything while they were there talking to us.

As far as the Green Bay perch, there used to be some horses in there but now they are few and far between. A guy could spend days on the reefs up there and maybe get one or two truly large fish. Back then a guy had to get one over two pounds to have a chance at winning little fish derbies that were around.

fished several tournaments last year on mille lacs and never saw a two pounder. placed fifth in one with 1lb 10 oz.

Won a vex fl8 already ahd an fl18 but was still cool.

About 14 1/2 that was 2 winters prior to this one. Got several that winter around 14. If memory serves most tourneys are won with perch under 2#'s. I don't think Milly really has much for perch that breat 2#'s.

Yeah, there are some dandy's in there but I would head to LOTW, that's right! Last winter we caught some hawgs up there.

My longest is 14.25" Yao Ming perch from millelacs, the thing barely made 1.1, Yr.1999, late ice fish.

Did anyone see the perch on the front of the Mn, Outdoornews? 14" football and that is the truth the darn thing is almost as big around as it is long! What a pig! I hope to get into some like that this weekend.

Tunrevir~

tunrevir,

Have you fished forest lake lately? I'll be heading up to Mille Lacs on saturday, in front of Eddys, looking for some perch and eyes with a buddy of mine. It will be my first time up there targeting perch; 13-14" sumo's would certainly be fun.

We were at Adrians resort and there was a group of guys in the cleaning house they had three perch that were huge they claimed the one was just under 17" and the other were right at 16" now we didnt measure them but they were huge I know they were 15 + They came out of the northwest angle, When they took the knife to ALL of them It brought a tear.

Good Luck & Set the hook Hard

Calvinist,

Sorry I got your post late today as I was up on the POnd fishing for perch and eyes. Had good success out of the SE side last weeke nd and wanted to try my luck again. Didn't get the 13-131/2 inchers but iced alot of 12 inchers. No eyes, alot of sniffers and no takers this weekend. F.L. has been pretty slow this winter.

Tunrevir~

Mille Lacs is definatly on the up cycle for Big Perch at this time, last year the 2 Tourneys I was in were won with 1.78 "pound and 3/4" and 1.86 both over 14 1/2.

I know of 2.2 15 out LOTW last year.

My all time biggest in 20 years was last year on Mille Lacs 1.37

I agree that the big perch are on an upswing the last few years. LOW, has some huge perch as well as some of those lakes across the border in Nort and sout Dakota, ya knoow. How about Bemidji? I hear they have some "jumbos", can anyone weigh in on that? I haven't found the perch on winnie to be as large as Mille Lacs but they are more willing to hit. How about Leech? Do those fish get large? So far my best to date was 1.6 and was 14 1/2", Kinda felt guilty cause she was full of eggs.

Tunrevir~

I caught my largest ever, yesterday out of Hunters. 13 1/4 long and really, really fat. It fought like a decent walleye. It was awesome!!

I hope to break that 14 inch this weekend again

[please read forum policy]

My first jumbo perch on Mille Lacs ---- 14 1/2" when frozen solid. Caught by Hennipen Island Saturday morning.

Mike

that is a nice perch anytime you break the 14 inch mark is heck of perch. My picture does not do those perch justice because i am 6 foot 5 so my big fish never look that big when i hold them.