• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hillmans road update

Random guy

I just got off the phone with KellyP and he has plowed out from Hillmans road as far as a plow can can go. This morning (1/28) he put the plow down, stood on the accelerator and headed west to the large pressure that is rougly 3/4 of a mile from the reservation line. Some fish have been coming from that area and it has always proved to be a productive area.

He also stated with yesterdays warm temps he was able to shave off many of the "speed bumps" the entire length of the road, and they have a few miles of road now!

Had some folks who headed out of Hillmans road yesterday and they were really happy with the road conditions and the ability to travel away from the clusters of houses. For those who fished near others they only had a few, had two who caught ten, but the three anglers who fished in an area all by themselves..the bite started at 5; after playing a lot of catch and release they decided to finish their three limits and headed off the lake around 8.

Kelly-P, that was you plowin yesterday? My buddy and I were about 3/4 mile to a mile south of you. That snow was flying out there pretty far, almost looked like you had a blower! You were really bookin! Saw that pressure ridge, we caught a northern over by there at lunch time, but nothing else really all day long. We didn't get nervous anywhere except where the 7 inches of slush on top of 11 inches of ice was near the ridge. Very impressed with the road, keep it up guys. Having never been on the lake before, I was really surprised at the road quality. Super wide and really pretty dang smooth. Well worth our money! Thanks again.

Yes that was me. If you were 3/4's mile south of me you were about 1/2 mile south of the best bite. Kinda late to tell you that now isn't it. confused.gif Well we just barely got out there with the plows and people so it is still testing and looking. I like what I'm seeing so far. Time will tell if it lasts or not. The warm weather really helped with the road. It got warm enough that we were were able to cut some of the "speed bumps" out and also blow that nasty north bank back before it gets another plow truck.

Fished that pressure ridge Sat and had a good run of crappies come through about 6 pm. 3 of us picked up 5 crappies in about 20 seconds and that was the end of it. I had other holes drilled in the area and was running around trying to chase...no luck. Roads were awesome!! I think Buddy plowed out that way Sat afternoon which was quickly followed by three permenant houses.

We didn't go crappie-less, but it wasn't the hottest bite either. Especially in between 9 am and 6 pm....daytime bite was pretty weak. We had 2 in the early a.m. and another 10 in the p.m., so we can't really complain. The evening bite for us was 6:30 pm til 8 pm. Then dead. We only lasted til 9:45 pm before wussing out. Sounds like others were limiting out in less time than that, so we obviously weren't on the "hot spot", but that's because it was too crowded up there to the north!

On a lake that size with no real structure to really concentrate the fish, there's probably almost always a "better bite" 1/2 mile in some direction, just a matter of finding it, and by the time you do you aren't sure if it'll repeat the next day anyway! It's almost as bad as "shoulda been here last week"! Oh well, it was a good weekend. Decent weather, a new lake, a few fish, and I wasn't at work. What more can a guy ask for?

I see that a some people are leaving their wheel houses at the end of Hillman's road. I hope that they realize that as soon as a storm is forcasted Foster and I will be pulling our houses in closer BEFORE the storm so there will not be a road out that far. 10 1/2 miles one way is too far to drive 8-10 times a day. crazy.gif While there has been a lot of crappies taken out there with the bite picking up all along Hillman's road we can start saving some gas. smile.gif

3 to 5 inches of snow with wind gusts to 40 mph Thursday. I'm pulling my last house back closer this morning as is Foster also.

Hi Kelly, question, and forgive me, but where is Hillmans?? I know I've driven by it a hundred times, but my mind just went blank?!?! Anyway, I hooked up with Foster, and got a house for the 19th. Thanks for the info, The Bumble

Quote:

Fish Fear me, Women want me....yeah right!!!

Kelly, planning on being there about noon on Friday, and with what you said is forcasted, do you guys plow a road off road for poeple pulling their houses and where do I pay for this at the station or just pay the plow drivers?

kelly, Im comming up this weekend so you better move your houses in grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif, Im sure by sat AM the lake will be a white out...Still need to hook up with ya and get one of those books... Maybe Ill see ya sat at WW. phil

bumble, If you're booked with Foster your best bet is to just stay home. grin.gifgrin.gif I heard a rumor that he drinks sometimes! grin.gif In all seriousness Foster is a good person, he'll treat you right.

Hillman's is 1/2 mile north of Westwind.