• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is Metro Ice still safe?

Carp-fisher

Well after two weeks in Taiwan and two weeks in Germany, I'm finally back for the rest of the ice fishing season. On my return flight yesterday afternoon, I couldn't help but notice what seemed to be black ice covering the metro lakes with areas of large puddles or open water. Coworkers informed me that its been so warm here lately that all the ice sculptures in St. Paul had melted and it was definitely not safe to even walk on any metro lakes. Is this true? It was so cold in Europe that my ice fishing bug was driving me crazy. Is it safe to fish 'round these parts?

It takes more than a couple of warm days for the ice to go bad. I fished down by Mankato on Thursday and marked 14inches of ice with 2 of it being the white stuff. I think you are safe walking,just watched out for the 10inch auger holes. I would not walk where any perm house were since the ice thins out if they sit in a spot for a long time. I'm heading out to the west metro this afternoon to try a couple of small lakes. I see you live out that way, is Riley worth the time for sunnies and crappies? Wanted to taked my boy out for some panfish action.

Ctuma,

I've never fished Riley through the ice, and have heard mixed reports about it. A few miles from Riley is a lake called Mitchell lake. Excellent place to take a kid to catch panfish. Thinking about heading out there today, if you want you could shoot me an email and I could show you and your son exactly where to go. Take care,

Ben

[email protected]

2 days ago I was on Harriet and there was 12" of ice, 11 clear. I was on another lake in town yesterday before the sun rose, it looked like we were walking on water in 46 degree weather at 6:00 A.M, seeing the reflection of the lights from downtown on the lake like it was open.. 1/2" of water on 10" of ice, 9" was clear.

Ice has improved. The cold snap we had about a week ago put on some ice.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the report. Can't help but notice, however, that its currently about 40 degrees with rain. I know from past experience that this sort of weather makes dangerous ice fast. Be careful out there.

I was out on afew lakes today. Ice is doing ok. You do want to watch where you step as some hole from the last few days got opened a little bigger than they should be.

Hi ya Carp, I was out today plenty of ice fer walkin, though I did have my ice picks in pocket just in case...

ill see you and calvinist on lake youwishyunu tomorrow afternoon!

Quote:

Tonka still has about a foot of ice.

B ut watch out for where that Explorer went thru tonight. Off Hardscrabble.

Yes, in general the lakes are still good for walking and ATV's. But need to watch out where you walk et. My house just got pulled off of Prior and I nearly took a swim from the 4 foot wide hole that was created next to my house from the sun reflecting off of it. There were three or four other smaller holes that were probably only 6-10 inches wide. Ice under the shack was still about 9". I am guessing if I had left my house there one more day I would have lost it to the water gods. Seen a couple places that had no houses around it and you could tell that the ice was getting bad. We need to start thinking like this is the ice at the end of Feb. and not get the mentallity that it's still Jan.

Ill be walking ou7t with ice picks and the portable from now on.

Hey Mike,

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to your honey hole tommorrow. My little sister just came in from overseas and she's driving up from Iowa to see me this afternoon. I really need to get out with you and Calvinist again and learn from the pros. Whats your work schedule like? I may be able to sneek out during the week after 3:30. You could shoot me an email if you like.

Ben

[email protected]

I was out on a couple metro lakes yesterday and the ice was fine. Just make sure you have your cleats. You don't want to take a bath grin.gif