• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Perch are bitten hot

dadman

Hit Sloppy Joe's area this morning at sunup, Brother inlaw ask me come come with for some perch jerkin!

All I can say is sure glad I took time off to go 8-12" hogs, three limits. Second day in a row for the brother inlaw, I can't hardly wait for tommorrow! I think I'm hooked on perch jerkin.

Plain hook lay minnow on the bottom, they were picking it up more than the jigging rap or glow devil. Watching action on camera was the best way to see what worked.

later heading up!

I fished the banana flat area from 7:30am-2:30pm. I caught a bunch of small perch. A couple nice ones were caught in a friends rental house with the aid of a camera. I marked fish the whole time, but size was an issue. I tried both jigging spoons and minnows, both produced small perch. I did spend a little time with the camera and fish seemed pretty finicky today.

A buddy of mine and I went up there yesterday and went out to two mile. At 6:30 a.m. we drilled our first holesin 32fow and fell in to a nice school of nine inchers and then the crowds started coming in and the fish would get sluggish so we kept moving deeper and by the end of the day we ended up fishing in 38 fow and caught 29 perch ranging from nine to twelve inches and two 15" Walleyes. I must say though, we drilled a ton of holes and were constantly moving. Key presentation was a rattle spoon tipped with waxies.

buckpredator,

we were there too. we got there right around 6:30 too. we were a little shallower. we probably saw you guys. we were in a red explorer (2 man black frabill) with a trailer and a red f150 (green eskimo 3 man). we got a little over 20 perch (didn't count) between 9 and 11.5. i never even saw a walleye on the aqua vu (had it 10 feet off bottom looking down, could see all the way to the bottom!). There were usually between 6 and about 15 perch on the screen. i had my best luck on a small glow jig and a waxie or euro larvae.

I fish sloppy joes in the open water alot, but never in the winter, i was thinking about trying it and i saw some people are catching fish off of it, so that is good. where do i go off of to get there in the winter? and should i bring a four wheeler also?

You can get there from Brand'ts on the south end. It was slower Saturday than the above post mentioned. "Should have been there yesterday". You don't need a wheeler.

EJ

Got a question for everyone. Here is the situation, I'm taking my dad fishing on Sat. He's 77 with alzheimers, in pretty good health other than that but not as mobile as he once was. Because of his disease its sometimes like fishing with a impatient 5 yr old. I gotta keep him on fish. I usually move alot when I fish, but he'll need to plopped down in my ice house where its warm. Here's the question: Should we head up to the big pond?

He loves to catch perch and eyes, but for my own sanity I've been leaning towards some lake with alot of northerns to keep him busy. Size doesn't matter as long as he's catching fish. He would love to get into some perch though, they are his favorite. What would be the best area, no need for specifics, of the lake where he could sit and catch a bunch of perch? Again, size is less important than numbers. Thanks for anyhelp!

perch action out in 30 ft with good roads right to the spot.

I know I was able to find a few. Big and small mixed together.

Iron Man,

Well, you never know for sure where to go for instance, I was at the same spot last week and ended up moving from two mile reef because we couldn't get a nibble. This past Saturday however, everytime we saw something it seemed like we had a bite.

Oh, By the way Rogers, I might have seen you. I fished outside all day next to my white dodge dakota and I do remember seeing a red f150 with a group of guys in it.

I'm not opposed to moving some..but trying to keep it minimized. I'll read this site daily so hopefully I'll get more current reports the closer we get to the weekend, then its up to the fish.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Which side of the lake is Rocky Reef? I'm headed up tomorrow early.

It's on the westside a couple miles south of indian point.

I fished Banana and Graveyard today. Did well on perch. Posted a thread with my report for anyone interested.

I fished on the East side yesterday near 2 mile, early morning bite was decent with most fish in the 10-12" range, no walleyes yesterday like last weekend, but I think the weather kind of shut them down. Had alot of lookers come up sniff and glide back down. Started with a red varmint rattlespoon and fathead head as it got lighter out went to green glow varmint rattler and then once it was light went to a gold angel eye jr. Jiggin outproduced the set line 10-1. All in all pretty decent day despite the weather change.

Tunrevir~

Well we went out of rocky reef and did ok for numbers but nothing of size. largest of the day was 8 1/4". All but one fish came on tear drops with euroes. The other was a dead stick w/ minnow. That was the "big" one though. If I would have been able to be mobile I think it would have been better, but dad had fun and that's all that really matters. I think the perch are feeding on mayfly nymphs, they were puking up little brownish bugs all day. I did catch my first sculpin as well. Cool lookin' little buggers.

Accessed the lake at Red Door today (Saturday, Feb 11) and fished in the portable in 25 FOW. No power auger so I picked a spot and hoped for the best. Finally dropped lines down around 9:30am and started out really slow with the first fish caught being a little 4-incher. Almost an hour later, my son picked up an 11-incher that somehow managed to tangle both my lines. After that, things stayed slow for a while. Between 10:30am and 3:30pm, I caught a 10-incher and a couple small ones and that was it. Then from 3:30pm until about 6pm, more fish started showing up. Lots of throw-backs, but in the end we took home nine perch; five 10-inchers, two 11's, a 12, and a whopper 13-incher that weighed in at 1 1/4 lbs. on the resort's scale, my best perch ever, I might add laugh.gif

Probably would have done much better if we stayed mobile, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the results for just sticking with the same spot for the whole day.

Oh, and my son got his first 'pout...now that was entertaining grin.gif

Manny

Good to hear you had some luck. I went out from Brandt's yesterday and kept on the move all morning until early afternoon and settled on Sloppy Joes. I found perch everywhere I drilled a hole, but they were all 4 to 6 inch fish. I only managed to biggie’s that went a tad over 11 inches. About dusk they disappeared and I was anticipating the arrival of some eyes, but no go. It was a great day to be out.