• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ogema Smaller lakes over there?

kelly-p

I've heard many stories about the fishing on the smaller lakes in the Red Lake Reservation. Is it true that some have trout? If I understand it right us "white guys" grin.gif can fish on those lakes if we have a permit from the Tribe and a Band Member as a guide. Is that true?

That is true Kelly. Don't know about trout, but there are some lakes over there that have some HUGE bass.

When I was running the Elk's Lodge in Bemidji in the Mid-90's one of the members was an older doctor that practiced part time up on the reservation. He was given a permit by the band and fished with the locals up there quite a bit and I know he talked about Lake Trout fishing on a couple different lakes up there. He mostly talked about "back when". No names given in fact I don't know if he even really knew the names of those particular lakes. But, he also talked about the fact that some of those lakes had fallen victim to netting also, and had really hurt the overall fishing in them.

Hey fella's, yes fishing is great over here, there's alot of smaller lakes, south of the Big Lake, that have all kind of different species in them.

I have got permits to take people fishing, who are not members, and am looking at a potential bed-n-breakfast guide service this Spring. Yeah there is lake trout in some of the lakes back there, I have not been out in a while or got any, but heard they are out there. Nice bass fishing, which I preferred, lots of crappie and sunny's.

If you look at a DNR map, you'll be able to see them, theres alot.

As part of my potential business endeavor, I am curious to know what kind of market is out there, for people coming to fish here?

Ogema:

Send me an email:

jnelson at umn (Contact US Regarding This Word) edu.

I have some information for you.

Joel

Ogema, where do I sign up? I will even trade trips for an opportunity to fish some of those waters. From what I remember as a young man traveling across the reservation you have some very different terrain and lake structure in that area.

I would bet I alone could name at least ten sportsmen that would go on a trip to fish your waters in the drop of a hat.

Ogema, Welcome and Thanks for your input! I think it is great that you share your ideas and put to rest some of the rumors and bring clarification so we all can move on to bigger and better things in life. Life is way to short people!!!! Enjoy it will you still can. I fish because you get to enjoy nature, meet new people, tell lots of stories, experience new places and YES!! they taste GREAT!! smile.gif Ogema, you said it! DON'T Sweat the small stuff and things that are out of our control. Just make the best of the times and the things you can control! Respect for nature and our fellow man got lost somewhere along the way. frown.gif It is time for our generation to step up to the plate and bring Respect back into view for the next generations to come. Sorry about rambling on. If you have permits for Guideing I would love to spend a weekend trading stories and taking pictures. I personally think if you wanted to you could book yourself as a guide 365 days a year to fish lakes that no other white man has access too. Just my thoughts anyway. Thanks Again!! Ogema Tim

Hey guys thanks for the input, it'll be more than likely Spring time when this happens, as I am tied up on another business venture right now, putting most of my efforts n time into that, so that I may make enough money, to just kick back and enjoy life...

Who wants to work all the time... tongue.gif

Thanks again and look forward to meeting some of you guys in the future...

Ogema, I've got a place in Funkley and have met several of your members at the local watering hole. I've had a couple of invitations to fish the Reservation but the rules always seemed shaky to me so I was cautious and declined.

If there is a formal permitting process count me in. I'll even trade you my two URL Walleyes. smile.gif

The Funkley Bar and Lounge is presently closed - it is about to change ownership and re-open. If you go by when it's open stop and ask the beertender if I'm there. I don't get up there all that often but often enough. And, I'm there every week from the end of Septemeber to the middle of November too. I'd like to meet you one day.

Hey I like Funkley, I was there after they had the adult entertaintment. It was our 19th Hole after a nice roun don the links.

The idea of allowing non-members to fish here has, in my opinion, underused. I could build something very similar to what you guys have everywhere, during season, which is professional, FUN, fishing/hunting, excursions, that create lasting memories, friendship!

Having fun and fishing new lakes is always a fishermans dream...

Peace n Happiness...

After the entertainment huh? That's what everyone says about Funkley.

Maybe we already know each other then??? Where's that twenty-bucks I loaned you? (Tee-Hee!)

See you there when they re-open - I'll get the first one.

Quote:

What happens in Funkley, stays in Funkley...
cool.gif

I about choked on my coffee reading that! LOL laugh.gif

Hi,

I took a break. Then couldn’t get the site to load… They must have clogged the sewer when they flushed all that black stuff? Glad to finally see the moderators wield their axe - It needed doing. Thanks for sticking it out and not getting angry.

I laughed again! A number of years ago my brother brought his young son up to our place in Funkley for a duck-hunting weekend - I guess he was about ten years old at the time. We stay focused, clean, enjoy ourselves, play by the rules, and just generally enjoy our time up north... be it hunting, BS'ing around the table, or downing a brew at the Funkley Lounge. We run a pretty tight ship - especially with young kids in the group.

When we returned to Minneapolis his mother asked him if he had a good time, what did he do, etc. He must have listened carefully, and taken his schooling seriously, because he said to his mother only this, "What happens in Funkley stays in Funkley."

We still laugh about that and he's now 23 years old. It is still true too!

See you in Funkley when it re-opens.

Most of what happened in Funkley when "the entertainment" was there was forgotten by the next morning anyway!!