• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's?

Anybody else here that Bass Pro Shop may be coming to the mall of america. I personally think that they have a better selection of fishing lures, at least judging by their catolog, i have never been to the actual store. So where would everybody else shop, Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's? I think i'll still choose Cabela's since it is closer.

I don't mind walking around those stores, 9 times out of 10 it seems like I get overwhelmed and end up spending an hour to buy 3 things that would have cost ten cents more at Little Jims and I can get out of there in 5 minutes, unless you want to talk fishing with a guy who knows an awful lot about fishing or chat up the nice lady! I do like looking at the BPS catalogues in the winter though!

Whatever is most convenient for me.

Whether is Grandpa Johns bait or whatever.

I wont drive 20 miles out of my way for standard needs if I can get it around the corner.

Forgive me for being frugal, but I think this is a financial question, not a lure selection question.

Annandale, huh? 60 miles round trip for you to Cabelas ($10 in gas for full size truck). 120 miles round trip to Bass Pro Shops ($20 in gas for full size truck).

They better have something you can't get at Jim's (annandale) or H&H (Maple Lake) or Bob's (Buffalo), and you better need it right now, to justify those premiums. Shipping via mail could be a better deal.

I would worry about comparing them both only if I were intent on spending hundreds of dollars in one shot with them. The only caveat I can come up with is if you commute to work by them and/or happen to be passing near them both.

I generally value my own time at $50 an hour when I have options to compare for the same outcomes. 60 miles takes an hour to cover. If it costs $10 to drive that, I better be saving more than $60 ($50 plus $10) by going there, becuase that's what I have invested just to get there. And that doesn't count the time it takes to get in and out of the store.

I don't think either place has the market cornered on fishing lures. It's just one more thing that they sell.

*steps off frugality soapbox*

It is one of those things that is more for a hobby for me then to find the best deal or save the most money. I buy most of my stuff at the local bait shops, but do enjoy going to the superstores on a rainy day.

This is silly but when you work at gander I guess I'll buy it there. but there are times I have to go to sprtsman's ware to get the special hooks i want. Most were #10 treble for stinger rigs. I have also strted giving to E-bay. Get some good deals on some but you have to be picky.

I have gotten some things for my family and close friends from gander they can save on the rapala's and such they use most.

I think you guys are taking this question the wrong way. Im not saying every time I need a fishing lure i go to Cabela's, I buy a lot of my fishing lures in St. Cloud or at local bait shops. But as a Bass fisherman, I do believe bass pro shops and cabela's have a wider selection of bass lures, they have a lot of unique lures that you can't always find at the local bait shop. I guess what I was trying to say with my question was, if its that rainy day and you want to walk around one of these stores, which one are you going to choose?