• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First good report in a while

I've got two buddies who guide at a resort on the S shore of LOW who finally gave me a good report from the big pond. They fished a spot four times and the worst they have done is 30 fish (total between the two of them) in a half day. I'm 100% certain of the accuracy of the reports- I'm not just repeating BS. Not a red hot, amazing report, but a lot better than most are reporting this year. I was sworn to secrecy regarding the location of the spot, so I won't tempt anyone with hints or tips. But I will tell you this- find some cleaner water near rocks and you might find some fish.

So don't give up just yet folks. They're out there, just gotta try something different from the norm. The place they are fishing doesn't sound to me like a great place to be (shows what I know). But fish in the bucket don't lie!

Good luck!!!

i heard the same thing from 2 different guys the same thing about the rocks and there both guides!!!!

I followed up on this report this weekend. Had two houses out and one (mine) caught 21 on Sat. The other caught 51. We fished about 25 yards apart. Mostly smaller fish, but the other house caught a 21", 19", and several between 15" and 16". I fished a few area reefs and did absolutely nothing on or near them. Best fishing was 11:00 to 2:00 (exactly the time when I was out discovering there weren't fish on any area reefs).

So not amazing fishing, but better than most of the reports I've been hearing. Lots of fun buzzing around on the sleds up there.

I will back up Scoot's report. Have a very reliable friend who has forgotten and fished more spots on that lake than I will ever know and his report pretty much mirrored what Scoot said. Find cleaner water and you find fish!!!

Jay R

wish I could say the same. we fished out of shuster's and only managed 18 keeper's for 4 guys (there was actually a group each day that got skunked-now that would be hard). Really no suprise bait-wise, gem n eye gold with pink/red glow was the best bait. 50/50 shiners vs fatheads. was still a fun time. thanks for all of the info on how to manage the buzz because that was what helped keep us going. On a side note, did seem to graph a more than a few fish just couldn't get them to commit- tried multiple presentations and lures, but very few takers. Hope this helps some. Hope others will continue to post results and techniques. I know people tend to be tight lipped about local lakes and I understand the need for it. However, LOW is a large place and a long drive so help if you feel like you have something to share.

We fished out of Cyrus' on Friday the 27th from 10 am to 3:30 pm. We had 5 people in our group for the first 2 hours and 2 people for the rest of the time. We were in 22' of water and ended up with a total of one sauger, 2 dinky walleyes, and one tulibee. Saturday we fished out of a Sportsman's Lodge day house from 10 til 5 in 29' of water out past Pine Island. We caught 8 sauger and 4 walleyes, biggest was 15". I had one bite all day and my wife lost 3 fish. Together my wife and I fished for 2 days and caught one dinky walleye and one small tulibee. We still had a blast even if the fish didn't cooperate.

Quote:

I know people tend to be tight lipped about local lakes and I understand the need for it. However, LOW is a large place and a long drive so help if you feel like you have something to share.

Its a strange year up there no doubt. I've made 2 trips this winter, both early in the year. The one trip was a bust and the second trip was amazing.

The first trip I made, I used the same techniques & locations I've using on every one of my other trips for years now and it didn't produce many fish. In fact, it was a horrible trip in my opinion.

My second trip up, we fished in a spot that I would have never dreamed of fishing in a million years, and we slammed the walleyes. That was over New Years weekend. We had some good local knowledge to put us on this spot and I cannot give out that info.

The guys that are finding the fish are working really hard at it. Do you think they want to compromise their hard work by giving out the spot on the spot? And believe me, the locations I'm thinking about are very small and specific.

If you want to start to put the pieces together, go back and read the last month of posts in the Lake of the Woods forum. I can guarantee you that there are many pieces to this puzzle that have been written about already.

90 some % of the US side of the lake is 30' deep mud with dirty water, so there aren't TOOOO many places left to look to find fish. Thats why many guys aren't willing to give up the spots this winter.

Good post Chris and I back you up 100%, as I have a good friend who guided for several winters out of a south shore resort. He has a few of those spots on the spot places and let me tell you they work very hard to find those places. I have seen pictures of him and a few other buddies pulling amazing waldo's from these places and at times right in the middle of a group of houses. I wouldn't give that info to my brother, course he has a big mouth!!! It's like anything else the effort in = reward. Takes time me boy!!!

Jay

again thanks to all who post their thoughts. since I only get up to LOW every 2-3 YEARS i appreciate it. To those who are mum...great. Just please don't grind your ax on the people who share. For me i was with a group who really had no interest in trying anything portable (had a tear in my eye driving past red without even stopping). Do I care if you keep your spots to yourself-no. If you want to share what has been working this year even better.

I didn't mean to start anything here. I was posting as much info. as I could without giving away the details of the spot my buddies turned me on to. Particularly given that these guys gave me the info, I'm not willing to tell the exact spot and have them get swarmed for the next three weeks. I never give gps coords away in an open format for all to see, so I'd suggest taking the info I've given and try make use of it with all of the other info. that's on this forum. There's lots of info and I think I provided another piece to the puzzle. Can't remember if I posted depth- 25-26 feet and jig didn't seem to matter- spoons (Angel Eyes, Buckshot Rattle, et.) and various jigs produced equally.

Good luck to all.

scoot sorry if i sounded preachy, my hackels just seem to go up when people pounce on one another for sharing info on such a large body of water. your reports were great i would never expect GPS coordinates or anything to be posted. it's just great to read good reports. Since some of us are still trying to get back in our wife's good graces after a prolonged hunting season its nice to read how and what people are doing to get fish in the small hopes I can scrape another kitchen pass or 2.