• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite ice fishing crappie bait?

I was just wondering what is your favorite crappie bait for ice fishing. Although I have caught crappie on minnows and waxies my preference is the jigging rapalas. I just love when they hit that bait and when they are really hungry they just smash it!

my best luck has been glow jigs with a crappie minnow and a waxie smaller minnow the better

I'd second what TO said. Glow jigs w/ waxies gives you the opportunity not only to catch crappies, but to get some sunnies too. I'll set up a deadstick next to me also in case they're going on minnows.

Welcome to the site jdbolton1 laugh.gif!!!!

I would have to say for the finicky crappie I like the shrimpos rigged "WACKY" style and for the bobber rig I just love a #6 firetiger forage minnow tipped with a smaller fathead.

I have been doing really well on pink & white ants this year tipped with a waxi. When the fishing has been tough thats what I have been doing the best on. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to downsize.

I usually use a Ratso or Shrimpo to start out with and then if nothing is cooking I will go to a glow red demon with a waxie or sometimes a minner.Not to leave out a few other like the flutter bug,which also seems to be a killer jig tipped with a waxie.

I second HarvLee's glow red demon. If that profile appears too large and the fish a bit less agressive, I'll put on the old trusty marmooska.

I believe you should not cast your favorite lure in stone (so to speak). My favorite lure changes year to year. It seems that a certain color may work one year, better than the next. A few years back the glow purple / blue was hot, now its glow red for me. I can remember having years where a plain glow chartruese hook was my go to bait.

I can remember when a plain hook, no glow, was suffice! grin.gif Oh, how times have changed.

Thanks for the input everyone. I find it interesting what people like to use and all catch fish.

Fish'nGuy - Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading this site for a few years and really impressed with the people on it.

I am very envious you all still have ice fishing options in the area. I would have to drive for about three hours to get to any hard water.

im gonna be over there tomorrow with some people from owatonna was hopeing to meet ya maybe next time laugh.gif

95% of the time I will use # 5-7 jigging raps in the winter in tne spring and summer tubes and twisters

Size 6 Pink/glow or Blue/glow Ratso, no bait. Or else I'll downsize to a size 8 if the situation calls for it.

Another excellent choice is the Maynard's Flutter Bug tipped with either a maggot or a Little Atom Nuggie.