• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1-21 to 1-23 report from Pine, Zipple, Long Point and Knight

fished hard over the weeked. The fishing was horrible. Started at Pine on Thursday about 10:00 out deep (35-36 feet) two guys fished until dark, 2 small keepers. I went in shallow for the evening bite at pine (14 feet) 3 small walleyes (12 inchers). Friday, we had three guys start shallow at Long Point. They got two samll walleyes. Two went to Pine and tried 30 feet. Nothing all day. Two of us went out to Knight Island and tried the reefs. Moved half a dozen times. One sauger and one perch all day.

Saturday, we all fished Long Point shallow in the morning. One 14" walleye for six guys. took the wheel house to Zipple at 9:30. Fished 10:30 to dark at zipple in 24 feet. Managed to scratch six or seven beteewn the six of us. The fishing has definitely not picked up on the south shore. I'm not sure what's going on. Clarity looked pretty good down south. Worse clarity up at the islands.

This is so frustrating, the weather is perfect for fishing and no fish to be found. I am going this weekend has anyone tried the mud flats towards twin island at long point, this would be about 35 feet of water? I usually fish there later in winter but this year is bizarre, just trying to get opinions. Also did you spot fish on the vexilar (or evan have one?) all day at Pine,long point or Zipple. i am curious if the fish did not bite or confused.gif not show at all.

Good hustle Carlton. Thats what i call effort. I had a crappy day today too. The weather was great, 43. A bit windy though. I tried a few spots sitting outside in 28 feet and at the end of the road in about 30 or so feet(Morris Pnt). Thought mabey some big saugers might be hitting out there in this sunshine. Nothing, seen like 1 fish go by. After lunch i headed in shallow to my house. They`ve been hitting there after 2pm. Did pretty good there over the weekend. -Not today-. There were lots of fish ther. They kept acting like they were going to bite. You had to jig to keep them there. Saterday jigging spooked them but they hit hard. Had a couple very soft bites today at around 4 and i did lose a decent one just under the hole but that was it. Will hit it again monday. If its a bust I`m moving west.

No fish to be found??? I think folks are maybe lookin in the wrong places maybe. I can't complain, the early and late bite has been reliable, and some days great, both inside and outside and at both ends of pine. Kinda the same kinda deal/spots as the way early ice timeframe walk/atv spots and patterns. Some days just after dark till 8 or so has been best too. 7 to 11 fow and you gotta have a bit of current. Gold and orange wobbler jig with dead shiner has been good for me in these shallow current areas for a good month now. Have'nt been able to scratch much any deeper than 20 foot. Tougher during the day, weird daybite indeed.

Week or so back I woke up freezing at 12:45am, hut was then in 9fow, went out and switched tanks, came back in and figured what the heck may as well fish for a bit, lo and behold not 5 minutes later a 28+ incher came up my hole! Sheer luck maybe cause I jigged for another 45 minutes without a bite!

One things for sure we are'nt getting the mass quantities of dinky fish this year as some years past {less action} but there are plenty of dandy sized eaters when your on em, and some nice qualifiers and a whopper thrown in the mix now and then too.

This shallow bite does seem to be waining a bit now, surprized it's been as good as it has this late into january this year though.

Probably not the best year for visiting folks to rely on what/where worked last year or back when.

fiskyknut

After 31 years of fishing LOW we set a record yesterday. Never had a pull down or bite all day. We started fishing in 21 fow, moved into 15 fow, then out to 25 fow. Nice day to be on the pond though.

I fished Wed afternoon and Thurs morning. Wed I fished 12' off Pine and caught 3 nice eyes. Only had 3 bites. Thurs I fished 12, 18 and 29. Only had bites in 29' and they were all sauger, 2 that were 14 inches. I marked very few other fish.

The water (at least off Pine) is as clear as I ever remember it being. Top to bottom as the camera showed. I haven't fished west yet but will the next time up--gotta try something different. In years past, I've fished Long Pt with really milky water and done well. THe conversations while having a burger at Adrians and breakfast at Riverbend were much the same--wow, slow. From both fishermen and the operators. Even guys running north on sleds had mediocre reports, though they were doing somewhat better. Weird stuff. THere are not many houses out for this time of year now and hardly anybody in the area. Tough on the resorts. I keep thinking, either there are a huge bunch of fish in an unusual part of the lake or perhaps there has been something weird with forage. Like a surplus of something. In our smaller lakes to the south, a big hatch year can make for tough fishing, tho it's usually the open water season but sometimes affects ice fishing too. Grasping at straws, eh? Well, nature is certainly balancing out the mega winter harvest of the last few years.

Good luck.

It's just a questionably educated guess, but I think the wind and weather need to stabilize for a while. Seems like the wind's been shifting directions about every couple days, and the weather, though very nice, has been a bit off and on as well.

Lake of the Woods will turn on when the wind and weather pick a stable pattern for about 4-5 days. Gotta also keep in mind that we're almost into February - good ice came pretty late this year. This is kind of the "dog days" of winter.

I'm anxiously looking forward to March. I predict an epic bite just before ice out! What are you veterans up there thinking?

I'm hardly a veteran after only 4 years up here but I do get on the ice at least 50 days each season. Hardly ever full days but kinda hard to complain about it.

I am with Fisky in that I have seen a pretty fair bite with the exception of the week after New Years, so it's frustrating to hear the doom & gloom out there.

I have seen some very agressive fish in 15' outside Pine in the AM & PM with PM being most reliable. Also have a house ~ 7 miles past Pine in 34' that has produced well over last 2 weeks.

Every day is a bit different and sometimes there is up to an hour between fish but seeing a mix of eyes, sauger, tullies & the occasional nice perch.

Finding a radical presentation with an Airplane lure will bring fish in when nothing shows but often have to drop something else to catch 'em. Some days the dead stick is good, some not. Small pink & green glow rattle spoons have been consistant producers.

Seems we are having to work fish up a lot. Many fish will not bite until 5 feet off the bottom. Also finding some nice eyes suspended at 15' off the bottom.

I personally am seeing a better bite this year than last year when I struggled pretty much the whole season but I do think there is a weather link with both Red & LOW being decidedly slower for a lot of people.

Good Luck!