• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2006 Rochester Sports & Vacation Show

I was thinking of going to the Rochester Sports & Vacation Show this weekend. Is it worth attending?

PDM

If you like boats and camper, have at it. You won't find much in the line of tackle that you can't find right here in town and at prices that are not "fixed" as show specials.

If you like to see some of whats new and don't mind the show being most campers and boats and all, it might be worth your five bucks or whatever it is. I stay out of there. The entry cost to me would go a long way toward a bag of chip, a pop or two and the time is better spent around a hole in the ice. Just my .02

I think the $5 cover is a joke, but I might find my way there anyway. If I don't, I won't be heartbroken. It's not that $5 is a lot of money, but I just don't like paying something for nothing. Also, if I bring the finace, its another five bones. I'm sure there will be some decent vendors there and one might find some good ideas and maybe even get some deals, so that's 1 plus. I know there are going to have some fishing seminars as well.

Sorry to vent here but I've been to several of these things and never had to pay a dime to enter. Is like Cabela's charging a cover just to enter.

I've gone all but 1 year since it has been in Rochester and it has come a long way. If your in the market for a boat or camper it is definately a good place to start and get an idea of what is out there and also to ask questions of multiple dealers without having to drive around all over. I think the show has improved a lot from it first couple years. I'm not sure what the speaker list is like this year, but last year they had a pretty good line up.

As Tom mentioned there really isn't much in the line of tackle. You'd be just as well off going to Gone Fishing, Gander or Fleet if that is what your looking for.

There is usually a pretty good representation of Vacation destinations as well. Unlike the Northwest show up in Minneapolis, where its pretty much dominated by area chamber of commerce's showing up you get a fair amount of actual resorts, etc.

Overall I think its a very good show and well worth the price of admission. I don't think you will be disappointed. If you can't make it up to The Cities for any of the big shows up there this is a definately a good alternative.

I'll be there on Sunday.

Andy

Quote:

Sorry to vent here but I've been to several of these things and never had to pay a dime to enter. Is like Cabela's charging a cover just to enter.

Where do you get the free ones Tyler, cause I need to find them then. Pretty much every sports/home type show I've been to or read about charges admissions.

Minneapolis Boat Show-admission charge

Northwest SPort SHow-admission charge

St. Paul Ice Fishing & Winter Sports Show-admission charge

Minnesota Muskie Expo-admission charge

I guess what I'm getting at is its pretty much a given that these events charge admission fees, especially when they are held at city civic centers. The only one I know of that doesn't charge admission is the Home and Vacation Show out at the fair grounds, which I believe is in March.

In Aberdeen, SD, there is a Sports and Vacation show at the mall every year. Its free. There is also an The Great Outdoors Show at the college arena and its free. Both shows are loaded with tons of vendors and you can get buy most all tackle in bulk.

So lets see now....If Andy drives to Aberdeen he won't have to pay anything but gas and food costs, right? Maybe a motel? Me thinks I'll stick around here and maybe fish. I've been to SoDak enough. Too much sand and when you run out of that there's too much rock and cactus. lol

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about investing in a boat, so it might be a good place to start. The $5 isn't too bad. I will leave the spouse at home.

Although.....CrappieTom definitely seems to have his fishing priorties in order. A pop, chips and a hole in the ice what more could you ask for. CrappieTom I like your no nonsense approach to outdoor recreation.

PDM

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about investing in a boat, so it might be a good place to start. The $5 isn't too bad. I will leave the spouse at home.

PDM

You will need to be careful or have a very forgiving wife if you planning to look at boats. It can be very dangerous. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a sports/boat show without my wife and dreamed about the coming home only to declare, "Hey Honey, Guess what I bought today?" smile.gif Fortunately so far, for the sake of my well being and marriage, I've been able to resist the temptations.

Quote:

Although.....CrappieTom definitely seems to have his fishing priorties in order. A pop, chips and a hole in the ice what more could you ask for. CrappieTom I like your no nonsense approach to outdoor recreation.

PDM

I'd go for my 14'Lund with my Crappie Tom Signature Series Crappie rod with a float and paddle tail on the other end out on the Zumbro. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen right now, though if this weather keeps up it will come sooner or later.

One of these years maybe I'll be able to put forth the effort for more hard water time, but with so much going on between family and other interests the hard water fishing outings seem to be few and far between for me. frown.gif

Andy

Andy,

I will be careful. My wife is not that forgiving. That's one of the reasons I'm not bringing her. She has too much financial common sense. If she was there she would put a damper on my fun. I don't plan on buying one this weekend anyway. Just window shopping. Man I hope she doesn't read this.

PDM

Andy...Take that long rod and go to the shore directly opposite from the end of the parking lot at the public area at fishermans. Open water is right past the dead end barricade and the paddies work good there.