• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have read alot of the Vermillion posts and it seems for the most part 90% are walleye guy's and the rest Musky chaseres. Am I the only guy that targets the smallies and realizes what a world class small mouth fishery Vermillion actually is? Don't get me wrong I love catching the eyes on the big V and have tangled with a musky or two. However, when I can go out in a morning and have 20-30 small mouth it is very hard for me to give that up.

I still would like to see someone organize a little small mouth tournment for fun. Maybe toss in a small entry fee to make it intersting.

i sometimes mix smallies in on trips...there are times when you can really catch some very good size smallies...and have taken advantage of that....sometimes when fishing some of the wind blown shallower reefs for walleyes we just all of a sudden start to just pound bigsmallies ...its fun....also when slip bobbering walleyes on rock piles for walleyes...if they arnt there ....ytou can bet you are going to catch a couple of big bass....there is a lot of peple who fish for bass on the lake....ecspecially tourists....and you usually here them say how they have had great success numbers and size ....so yea there are quite a few

That is great to know. I will be on the V for the 1st. time June 17-24 2006 and I target eyes (eaters) and big Smallies. Give muskies a try but not truely commited. I will be staying in Wolf Bay. The walley talk is scary. I have been fishing for 30yrs. Canada to northern Wisconsin and it sounds like getting meals maybe tough? How is the walleye fishing that time of year and were should I target, if it is average type weather.

AS far as the smallie fishing goes, Vermilion can be one of the best lakes around... I think that since it's mostly known for the walleyes, though, that's what most people think of when they go there. That, and sometimes a little secret is a good thing, if you know what I mean?

Raymond - You shouldn't have much trouble getting into the walters that time of year. The doldrums seem to hit in late July to mid August, unless you know where to go, etc. Many times it's just a matter of being on the water a lot, as Cliff, Gary, etc. are. I know that they can often find a lot more fish than most of us can! If you can spare the extra $$, I'd highly recommend hiring one of the guides there for even half a day. You'll be amazed at what you can learn! Half a day last July with Cliff, and I learned 3 areas to fish that I had literally driven my boat over a hundred times or more, and hadn't stopped to fish. I grew up fishing mostly on Vermilion, and in 4 hours, I learned 3 new spots, all of which produced some nice fish! I also learned a trick or two with a Lindy rig that I had missed in my previous experience using them. If you take the time to hire a guide, pay attention to what they're doing that is producing. Ask questions, have fun. There are some really great guys up there, and they know their stuff!

not so about the walleye...when things are normal we are catching fish very well that time of year...it could mean some sand flats and weed lines on the west end ...to some of the mid lake humps on the east....where you are staying...is bass heaven for a few miles from the time you leave the dock....also darn close to the eyes....lindy rigs ...slip bobbers...cranks...many ways to put fish in the boat.....

Mr Pike1,

What is nice about Vermilion...is the smallmouth is a bit untouched. I was out 3 springs ago when a DNR guy stopped for a survey. Of the 40 boats surveyed, we were the FIRST fishing for smallmouth.

I wonder what time of year you fish? I visit Memorial Day week. At that time, we do not find the fish right on the shoreline. I wonder if you have deeper fish techniques?

If the tourney was scheduled when we visited....we'd participate!!

Mbeyer, my inlaws have a cabin on the East side. I get up there about 4-5 long weekends per year and the second week in July.

I have found them by accident in deeper water but for the most part I fish the shoreline, rocks, and other structure.

I target the early morning hours and find the bite seems to die off after 9:30 or 10:00. Most are in the 15-18" class but I have got into some that have pushed 20 and lost one right by the cabin that was at least 22" and shaped like a football. I am guessing I will be there again the second week in July. That has kind of been the tradition the last 3 years.

I would love to hear of and enter a little tourney amoung friends.

I also am hoping to enter the walleye tourney that Cliff puts on each year I just will need a partner.