• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snow

I was wondering the trail conditions for the emily area i do realize that thursday will be quite warm but do u think the trails can handle that day and still be driveable for this weekend info would be greatly appreciated

Any update on the snow conditions on the lakes in the area....as if there is any?

Would really like to bring the sleds up for ice fishing this weekend instead of walking....

The snow has really disappeared from the lakes. The snow that is there is in small patches, but those patches are very crusty snow. Not too good for the hifax. If you hug the shorelines you can get around, but I don't think you'd want to be making any long treks across the main part of larger lakes.

IGOTEM, I see you are from the Breezy Point area. My in-laws have rented a timeshare at Breezy Point and while I was there, I wanted to get out on the lake and try some ice fishing. I have never fished the area, and provided we get some more snow, I will be able to travel by means of snowmobile. What would you recommend for a half day outing in the area? My rig is setup for long distance travel, so I am not limited to Pelican. Also, I am not much for pan fish, so I would be interested in walleyes or pike.

I'm not looking for exact locations, just general info on the area. Is is possible to get walleyes on Pelican or would I be better off trying somewhere else?

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

I know how those in-law deals go frown.gif which means fishing probably won't get to be a big part of the trip so I would stick to pelican which is one of the best walleye lakes in the area anyways. I'm rather new to this area myself, 2 years, so I'm still learning the lakes around here. I've done pretty good on pelican for walleyes this year. Most fish for me have been on the smaller side with only 2 over 20". I haven't fished walleyes for a few weeks now, I've been chasin' the trout. I have'nt fished for pike out there, but I'm sure you would do pretty good. I fished mainly the south end of the lake. I'm not sure why, but I was catching fish so why move too much. A friend of a friend has a permanent shack on the northeast end and they have had similar success. Lots of structure out there, so get a map and find one of those "secret spots" like a sharp break or mainlake reef grin.gif or just check your brain in at the resort and set up next to somebody. blush.gif

You'd probably get your best up to date info at a bait shop like Dave's Sportland in Nisswa. They give good info a lot right on this sight. Let me know when your coming up and I can get you a map of the areas I've fished.

Thanks for the info. It is good to know that Pelican is a decent possibility. That will make it easier to spend as much time as possible fishing, rather than traveling to a spot. (I know I will only have a limited time on the ice.)

The in-laws have the timeshare the week of president's day, but we haven't decided what days we will be going.

I looked at the DNR map and couldn't believe the structure in that lake. I just started fishing within the last three years, so in all my years of snowmobiling up there, I never realized what I was riding over.

If you don't mind sharing some more info, you can email me at [email protected]t.

Again, I really appreciate the help.

Any updates on how much snow fell in the Brainerd/Mille Lacs area? Sleds should be good for lake travel this weekend?