• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DUI and nwa

Call and find out. We go to Canada every year and 1 guy had DUI and never was checked. I believe you can pay a fee at the border to get in and have no problems. Not sure.

Go to the Canada forum, it's all there. Sportsman's Lodge can run you all the way up in Bombadiers on American ice.

I have heard that it is more like $200 if they happen to check you and run your license. Had a group of friends get checked years ago. One guy had a DWI and paid $200 to get in and another guy didnt get in at all because he had been convicted on a charge of assault, (fight).

I think that you can write to the Canadians and have them look at your case ahead of time. The guy that got in the fight is now legal to cross in the future after a review process. Good luck.

You can fill out a reabilitation form before you go, but it sounds like a pain in the rear and it cost well over $100. I would NOT try to cross at the border without checking ahead unless you are willing to pay at least $200 to enter. We went across at Warroad last weekend and they did scan everyone's license that was is the vehicle. We had 4 out of 8 guys that had DUI's (I am not one of them) and we sent them up on sleds from Warroad. If they would have been with us they would not have gotten in. I think the bomber ride from Baudette to Oak Island is $85 round trip per person, but you need at least $300 worth of people on the bomber or you will be charged the full $300. I would recommend borrowing a sled if it's possible. The trail from Warroad to Oak Island is well marked and is in good shape.

FI

Sorry.

Within 5 years of the DWI, no admittance into Canada. You can get a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) which will allow you in. Yes its spendy and very paperwork intensive.

From 5-10 years after the DWI, you can file for Rehabilitation. Once again, that costs you some ching and a fair amount of paperwork as well. Once you have been deamed 'Rehabilitated', you are good to go.

After 10 years, you should be in the clear.

2 DWI's you can absolutely forget about ever going to Canada again.

if I'm not mistaken a DUI in Canada is considered a felony charge and they take it pretty serious. I had also heard that in Canadian waters (soft water) it is illegal to have any alcohol in the boat.

On a side note; Chris Hanson, nice photos with the clothing ad. Nice to have a celeb on board. Curt has also made his mark with the narratives and voice overs on some TV sports shows. And now back to the show. Bill

I agree with First Ice. Bring a snowmobile and it's a 30-35 mile ride on a groomed trail from Warroad to the angle.

I am wondering if I can enter Canada, considering I was charged with supplying alcohol to a minor in 1997(gross misdemeanor)?? your thoughts or ideas....want to do a fly-in trip this summer up to Canada

Most of the info here is correct with regards to DUI. If it's newer than 5 years, then you are deemed inadmissable to Canada. Having said that, I've had two friends with DUI's cross several times a year (both DUI's are still newer than 5 years) and they haven't been checked yet.

Probably lucky, but it's true.

5 years and beyond, it's paperwork and expensive, I think $200-$225

I'll try and extract the exact information from the Canada Customs website and make it a sticky note in the Canada forum.

Thanks for the reports guys. We have a group of 8 giong to jakes next weekend with three of us having dwi's. We were planning on bringing snowmobiles, now i know where doing the right thing.

Sounds like a Hell of A Lot of DUI's out there. I am one of "Those People" as well ! I have not gotten one of the these for ( 8 ) years and I was pretty much a kid then. I had to go through so much BS over those situations it gives me nightmares. It is sad to know a person cannot do certain things for mistakes made in the past that have been worked on.

I am certainly not an advocate of drinking and driving, or being DRUNK and doing anything for that matter, but it just seems that the laws on this type of thing has gone a little Overboard !!!!

Good Fishing

I just got back for the NWA. I had a DUI 10/2003. We crossed over at Roseau, the Canada customs asked where we were going, what we had packed, any illegal drugs, alcohol or firearms? We had 18 beers, a liter of Absolute & a liter of Jim Beam. He asked where we were born, looked at our drivers license (but not in the computer), and told us to enjoy our trip. Same/similar questions coming back through except "How many fish were we bringing back?"

We had our daily limit posession.

By the way the fishing and hospitality was the best I've ever experienced. smile.gif

Open Letter to all:

Learn from others mistakes. Aside from the criminal prosecution punishments you may experience (jail, workhouse, revocation, house arrest, probation, fines, etc.) this thread brings up the other consquences.

Others: higher rates on life, health and disability insurance in addition to auto; difficulty with transfer of firearms; accessing Canada; potential loss of job opportunities; difficulty getting government loans (i.e. SBA, etc.).

I'm sure there are others. Take it from one man- your mistake today will continue to remind you for many years of your error, no matter how small your infraction may seem or how drunk you weren't.

The way I read the Canada law is that it is from the end of service of your sentence, not the date of your sentence. If this includes probation, I should be able to get back into Canada (letter of the law) around August 2013 without filing.

Tuck these things away for use when you or someone you know doesn't want to spend $20.00 on a cab.

let me add - paying for the rest of your life for a DUI that happened when you were stupid and young is B.S.. Rapists and child molestors sometimes don't face some of the long term ramifications that DUIs face. That's wrong.