• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Speedomter in Chevy Truck (Tahoe)

cjac

Question

I've read on a couple auto sites about a problem I have on my Tahoe. My speedometer is "pegged out" past 120. It started climbing up, and is now pegged. Sometimes it'll drop 6 mph each time I start it, so if I did that 20 times I could get it back to zero. Then it'll climb again.....

Called the dealer and it's $115 to run the diagnostic, and then see if it's at the flywheel or in the cluster.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? It's a 2004, so I'm a little disappointed, and of course over the miles for the warranty! frown.gif If anyone knows anything on this or a place to take it I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

Chris

6 answers to this question

Sounds like it is your speedometer. The speed sensor sends the signal to your speedometer, and it sounds like the problem is in your meter. If you want to go the cheap route go get a used one from the junkyard and plug it in place of yours. If the symtoms still exist it's your sensor. Hope that helps.

Does it start climbing while sitting at a dead stop or do yo have to be moving and then it starts climbing?

Its unlikely a speed sensor. If it was you would notice other symptoms like really messed up shift points and possibly a check engine light.

I'll have to check and see what kind of interface the speedo has with the speed sensor, I'm not really sure off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info....

I have to be moving for it to climb. Last night I left work and it droped back to about 100, then pegged right back out. Good thing I have the GPS to watch my speed!

Chris

A friend of mine had this problem with his 2003 Chevy truck. He has the extended warranty so he brought it to the dealer and I know they ended up replacing the hole instrument cluster.

The bad news is its a pretty high tech system and a scan tool would be required to properly diagnose. However, the most likely culprit is the instrament cluster. The bad news, again, is they aren't cheap and they need to be reprogramed which would also require a scan tool.

If you have to replace the cluster do some searching. There are some aftermarket clusters that will allow you to use the tranny temp gauge that the 2500 and up trucks have. Might save you some cash going aftermarket also.