• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Penn Lake

Has anyone ever tried fishing through the ice on Penn Lake. Its close to home for me and am very curious but cautious with the aeration system. Thought I'd throw the question out there before I venture out.

Stay off of Upper Penn, It is being drained for silt removal on the North end. Seen people fish Lower Penn off of 86th at the peninsula in summer where it is open now, but no idea if there are fish in there other than bullheads and carp. Good Luck, McGurk

Never fished it through the ice but did fairly well during the summer catching some nice panfish with the occational bass as well

I fish carp there all the time in the summer and once i got a 11 inch crappie but i have never ice fished it but i am curious about trying it to

It used to be a designated kids fishing pond. Here is what it says on the DNR site:

Status of the Fishery (as of 07/08/1996)

Lower Penn Lake is annually stocked with adult black crappies and bluegills. Black crappies were the most abundant species sampled. The average length was 6.3 inches. Only 5% of the black crappies captured were over 8 inches in length. White crappies were also very abundant. Their average length was 6.8 inches.

The bluegill population is within normal levels when compared to similar lakes, but their average length is only 4.4 inches. Only one bluegill over 6.0 inches was sampled in the trapnets, but growth is above average.

The black bullhead and carp populations were much less abundant than in previous years. The average black bullhead was 7.2 inches while the average length carp was 15.8 inches.