• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

For the Red in Manitoba, Oct, Nov., Dec and early January. You might get a few at the opener in May but the fall and early ice is by far the best chance up here in Manitoba.

Canuck is partially correct, however he's forgetting about the up coming season which is Feb. and March. Every winter (as is the case in many walleye fisheries) the action drops off, usually in January or mid winter. As the season progresses, the action usually picks up again and things can get very interesting!! I'll be keepimg a close watch on how this progress is developing. When things become more interesting I'll be quick to make honest and accurate repotrs, that you can be sure of!!! A small group of us are heading out on the Red in the morning, It's been a while so I don't know what to expect. The walleye bite on Lake Winnipeg can get incredibly hot as well. This too should be just around the corner, again I'll post any interesting developments as they happen!

30'! That'd be a heck of a walleye!!! Personally, I think one that is 30" is really big. Can't imagine a 30' eye (sorry, I'm a smart-aleck by nature- can't help myself grin.gif)

Thanks for the North Report, fellas. Down this way (Fargo area), I'd say your odds of a biggun are about as good in the spring run as they are in the fall run. Mid summer and mid winter are tougher, in my opinion. Obviously, the fish are still there, but much tougher to pattern. Winter is better going than summer. In the summer, I've found the walleyes on the Red and the tribs to be pretty unpredictable and almost unpatternable. I'll stumble into a pattern now and then walleye fishing, but it's tough. Also, the pattern might be red hot for one night, but it seems to change as quickly as it starts. I don't bother trying to figure out walleyes in the summer on the Red- too dang tough for me to figure out. I'm happy to stumble into them when I'm chasing cats though. I know several better river guys than me who feel similarly.

Stuie: is just teasing me cause he knows I am tied up for the next couple of wks. One thing I know for sure is you wont catch a 30" wallaye sitting in the house. One has to put the time in on the water/ice.

Remember if U are with Stu and he is taking your picture make sure where gets U to stand.

What type of structure do you guys look for when you are catching these river walleyes?? I am in Fargo so things might be different around here but I am just curious what to look for.

Like Stu said...more sumo eyes to be had yet on late ice.

I hope to get a crack at a new personal best this late ice season. I strongly like the Lower Red to do it, odds are good. A 33" pluss Sum-eye up there is likely to be a real ><,sUMo,>....Eh...Nice-N-Girthy.

I'm counting the days to the next trip up and look forwerd to hitting the ice with Stu and Crew.

Scoot,

Through the Ice, I have had decent luck in the spring by finding ledges but any other advice would be fantastic as I am new to the river walleye fishing.

Thanks

Try 5-7' in off current areas on inside bends. Wood is a good thing, fish behind well developed snags as they atract feeding walleye hunting shiners and young catfish. Late ice I see best fishing in shallow, as shallow as 2-3', but 5-8 is most common.

Blade baits like a Zip Lure, Sonars, ect... tipped with a minnow is a good bet, Chubbys in CD-6, Angal Eye Spoons in Gold or glow pink/blue.

Have you been catching any in the Fargo area this winter? I have tried a spot North of Fargo in pretty much the same structure you are referring to (although i don't know about the wood) but havn't caught any walleyes or cats, just goldeyes. This spot has very little current, so little in fact that I can see a jig on my vexilar, and its 5' deep. I have been using buckshots with minnow heads and three-way rigs, would those work or should I try what you have recommended?

I have also tried a heavy jig tipped with a minnow and just leaving it on the bottom.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Eh..if it ain't work'n try something new..that's my basic plan.

I find if you fish a bit more agresively during peek times you get more walleye to strike. That is why I often use darters, zips, stuff with more thump and prophile for fish to see.

Key spots on our central part of the Red is often downstream sections of very sharp bends. Fish the slow shallow shelves in the front and rear of the deeper bends.

Like I said...if it ain't work'n...change the plan. Yet there are days when no plan apears to be the "right plan". Even then..live and learn. Next trip will be better...maybe. wink.gif

are you talking about fishing the red river near fargo? If so, any info would be great.

The trophys are starting to show up again. Ask Andre/Gator hunter He burst the bubble this morning.

eyehead, if you are talking US side I'd say October/November timeframe. My biggest ever Walleye out of the Red came from the gfks area back in the fall of '92, so if I had to pick a day it would be October 22nd!

If you wanna catch 'em the easy way, ND unfortunately for our Red river Walleye stocks, allows fishing and open harvest of the big girls during the Walleye spawn, and numerous 'fish in a barrel' oppurtunities are availiable on many of the Red river tribs in ND. Way to many valuable prime spawners are killed year after year because of this so I won't get into more info on this pillage and plunder style of fishing any deeper.

Iffin you have'nt fished the Red you are sure to enjoy your first visit.

Regards.....fiskyknut