• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskies in the winter?

Any one ever caught a muskie through the ice? I never hear anything about them after it freezes.

i have heard of some guys getting some but it is rare because everyone uses such light line. I heard acouple years ago a guy on Dead Shot got one after fighting it he went out the house and no one was on the ice. Found a few stringers tied it together and tied it to his fish house and put the fish back down the hole. Went got witnesses and a camera. Came back and took pictures and released it.

I don't know why but they don't seem to be caught that often but what don't get caught during the winter is that much bigger the next year.

A few years ago a buddy and I were walleye fishing on Boyer when we got into a few muskies. We caught 6 in one night all about 24" long. It was wierd..... That was the first and only time I caught one ice-fishing.

You can target them but they get pretty lethargic during the winter months. Muskie fishermen don't target them due to not wanting to put undo stress on a fish we'd rather chase in a boat. I think you'd have problems getting a large one up a hole, especially with a mouthful of teeth.

Fisherdog

Ok I need pics of these "Muskies" that were caught on Boyer. There is no record of Boyer being stocked and I've heard all the rumors but I have yet to see one.

My parents used to have a cabin over near Longville and when me and my dad would spear northerns, they would come through about 1-4' below the ice and just sit beneath the hole. Tried everything to get them to bite on a line, but had no success. I did read an article about some guys in Wisconsin that fished for muskies at real early ice, they said once the ice was 5" thick the fishing was over. They were using suckers and tip-ups, they also iced some big walleye this way.

When I first moved to Minnesota, I took a spear house out to Beers Lake and chopped a big hole so I could watch the muskies. It was one of the best learning experiences I've ever had. Very easy to see why you can't spear them. Once you get one in the hole, you almost can't get rid of it. They would hang around for an honest five minutes and when they got bored, you could giggle the minnow and they would come back for another five minutes. They like to come in and push the minnow around, I think they might have gotten a kick out of scaring the minnow to near death. THe only time I caught one was a day when two of them were in the hole at the same time. Both looked to be about the same length, about 38". I photoed the one I caught and released it. A few minutes later, I hooked the other one. It broke my line. A little later a monster came in. I really didn't want it on my line, so I pulled the minnow up. I guessed it to be in the low to mid 50" range. So intimidating sitting there ten feet below my feet, yet just awesome to see. There used to be a guy, I think from Hawley, that would fish just off the public access at Beers and would keep any legal muskie he caught. Not like he caught them all the time but if it was legal he would eat them. My experience was seventeen or eightteen years ago and I haven't done it since.

Last year we were fishing a tourny on lake Minnetonka and my buddy accidentally caught one on a medium action rod and 6 lb test. (thorne bros rod and tica reel). After a good 20 minute fight we pulled up a 42" girl. Let her go. When I said accidentally caught this must have taken a swipe at the lure and got snagged on top of her head. Now imagine trying to pull a 42" fish thru a 8" hole with 30" of ice with it being snagged on the head so you cant turn it and face it up.

musky2.jpg

I have had one experience with muskies and ice fishing. About 5 years ago, we were crappie fishing in Sabaskong Bay on LOW. It was a terribly windy day, and we tucked our portables up behind an island for a little shelter. We were catching some small perch, and I kept getting a blip on my vex about 5 feet below the ice. What ever it was was not interested, and I just assumed it was tullibees. Finally, I got down on my knees and looked down the hole. I nearly needed new shorts, as there was a muskie about 50 inches long eyeballing my jigging spoon. She would nudge it, but not bite. I even bounced it off of her a couple times. She payed several visits in about an hour, and we both finally tired of the game. Still, it was one of the neatest things I have ever seen.

Two years ago, I had a similar experience in the same area with a big pike. Again, she was not interested in the crappie gear, but would slash at the crappies and perch as we pulled them up. On occasion, she grabbed the vex transducer and gave it a mighty shake.

BOYER!

I am sorry to say this is true. I've caught a Muskie on a tip up about 5 yrs ago on boyer. It was only 23 inches, but I thought it was odd also. Just to second that belief, it is true.

Sorry Hawg... I don't have any pictures. We were shocked with the first one and completely flabbergasted when we were up to 6. At the same time the small eyes were smacking...It was a blast!!!!!!!!!

I am almost positive that the fish you think that are muskies in Boyer are rather silver phase northerns. In fact I have caught a few myself. If you look in the back of the MN fishin regs there is a spot on identifying northerns and muskies. A northern has a scaled cheek and so do the fish in boyer. And the fish in boyer also match the amount of pores on the uderside of jaw just like a northern. I have never seen a large one out there maybe a 4 pounder or so. One should ask the DNR about this. And see what they call them. I talked to a guy in a bait shop on Elbow lake east of Wauban who has one mounted in there and called it a silver pike, and said there is a lake around there that he fishes where it not uncommon to catch them.

I have to agree with JOSHF on this one. I caught them a few years ago and thought they were muskies but found out later that they were actually silver pike.

It is true. This topic actually came up several years ago about boyer lake, and they are silver northerns. It was about 4 years ago I think.

I remember that they were a light silvery color so I'm sure you guys are correct on assuming that they are silver northerns. So now I will ask, is there a season on those, and if so, has anyone kept one and ate it, and if so, are they any good???????????????

Silver Pike? Here is what the DNR has to say about Boyer lake and the Norhterns in it.

"Northern pike test net catches have decreased since 1998, but are still about normal for this lake. Pike averaged about three pounds each in 2003. Occasionally, silver phase northern pike are caught in Boyer Lake and some anglers mistakenly believe they are muskies."

I have pulled up a coupe on Pelican. 24" size in about 17ft of water. Usually around first ice if I recall. Here's the kicker, I have never caught a hog in the summer...what gives?