• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bayport report

fly651

Just wondering how the bite is out in bayport? I'm heading out there this weekend. I'll see you guys out there. I'll be in a frabill venturer and a clam 2000.

I was out last night. Yes. It was windy!! I managed 3 keeper Crappies. I fished from 3:15 until about 6:30. I was fishing in about 40' of water. Lots of "lookers" as usual but tough to get them to bite.

We were out on Sunday and caught a couple crapps. But wow, we couldn't keep the puppies off the line. I've never seen that many before...!

Sat and Sunday were pretty busy out there. Last night, I only saw one other person near me. A couple of others were up under ther high lines. I use crappie minnows and fatheads. Sometimes they seem to like the bigger minnows and sometimes not. I always buy a scoop of each.

How far is the walk from the park to the fishing area? And has anyone tried shiners out there yet?

Depends on which area. 3/4 of a mile to the wisc. side holes less if you fish the mn side breaks. and no I havent seen anyone try shiners.

Went out this past Saturday. Alot of lookers but only manage on really nice crappie and one 14inch walleye. We were using crappie minnows with a plain hook. Lots of puddles when we came back. I don't think it's a good idea to head out there till it gets cold.

Caught this one on the MN side out from Bayport a couple weeks back. Can never mange to catch numbers but the size has always been impressive. Then again my numbers might go up if I spend more than 2 hours out there. I find they will cruise through here and there while I am out at the base of the drop.

C1.JPG

That is a decent white. I have actually never caught one of those in MN. I too found the couple days I was out there this year that they would come in in waves and very really pretty finicky. I too was at the base of the drop. Hopefully they will get going here pretty quick.

made it out sunday, bite was good till about 1pm, i got one 15 inch blackie, my personal best out there. stayed till dark and not even a nible after 1.

TRZ, How much ice did you have down there??? I havnt been down in a couple week but should be able to make it this weekend and would like to bring the wheeler. They still running around everywhere out there. Them 15" slabs sure beat the pants of the slabs you get up on red. Nice fish!

Thats a nice slabbbb trz..I was out yesterday as well but didnt fair that well.Guess i shouldve gone out in the am cause i didnt get there til around 1.The ice should be fine this weekend for wheelers Ratherbefishn,there may even be a couple inches of new stuff by then.I may have to put in a full day out there Sunday.Anyone been up to the highlines as of late???

the ice was 10 inches, I'll be bringing that slab along with 2 others i caught back in 03' to scott miller in prescott, best taxidermy in the area bar none.

I was there Sunday also. I was the last one to get off the river at Bayport. ZIP, NODA, I couldn't believe it, not even one Mooneye or any thing. Actually didn't mark much fish also on the Marcum. Are you guys on the Wisconsin side? Maybe i have to move to the Packer side also. Great slabber TRZ.

Hondavxr....was that you I walked past sunday evening around 7pm.I came back from the sconnie side.Alot of sniffin going on in the deeper water in the afternoon,I moved up shallow to see if I could get a couple of eyes at dark.Only managed 2short fish and a couple of perch.Pretty slow...

Went out lastnight on the WI side, 35fow what a slow night, caught a few small whities. 7-8 inches of ice. marked a few on the lowrance but a lot of sniffers. fished from 5 to 8pm. Any one else go out?? confused.gif

Do you ever have much luck after dark? i have stayed a few times and enjoyed beverages and mooneyes but never more than 1 or 2 bonus crappie after dark. i think the water is just too dark for much of a night bite.

I don't know about the winter as much but I use to have the same problem after dark in the summer with walleyes. Then a friend mention he did decent after dark but would use all glow baits and constiently recharge the lure with a flash light. I agree the water is dark and light disappears after dark. Just a thought on the question, hope I can make it down to hit the river on ice sometime soon.

Scott is about as good as they get. When we were kids we used to skin the minks in the back for him. Bout the smelliest job you could give a kid but we got some great skulls in return!!!

A few years ago... more like 5-6 years ago we had a great night bite in bayport for about 3-4 weeks. Ever since then we were lucky to catch 1-2 after dark. I will be down one of the mornings this weekend. I will be pulling a trailer behind the a red arctic cat wheeler. If you see me stop and say hi!! I dont know where we will be yet but somewhere out there.

Have not had great success Crappie fishing after dark summer or winter in the deeper 35 to 40 ft range. I do believe the lower levels of light at depths 35 to 40 ft. play a role. The flip side results in good success Croix anglers can have when the sun is high in the sky from 9:00-4:00.

Could habitat and food web play a role. I have had very good after dark Crappie fishing on lakes that have increased night time micro organizm activity. Could it be that the more or less sandy substrate that may or may not hold fewer micro organizms than a transition, mud, or silty area plays a role. Is the forage base for Crappie on the river primarily fish based? I do tend to find varied stomach contents. Plenty to ponder.

Walleye Guy,

We should hook up at some point and get out fishing. I didn't know that you were from the neck of the woods to fish the croix too. I fish it a decent amount in the summer but not as often as I would like in the winter. I have only been out once this winter and pulled up about a 12.5" nothing awesome at all. I know a little of the bite up here now but it sounds like you know a bit about what is going on to. Would be great to learn some more. Let me know. If you want to shoot me an e-mail go ahead. [email protected] hope to hear from ya.

Croixeyes, that was probably me,the big green Eskimo. I am always usually the last one to get off the river. I have been trying to give the river a try, because it never usually fails me on soft water. But I think I am close giving up on the Croix. First venture this year to the Croix I actually caught two decent crappies in the 13" range, but all the other times I pretty much got skunked or caught my fair share of mooneyes. Good luck yalls, I might give it one more try this weekend.

It has been a few years since I have ice fished the Bayport area, but I used to go super shallow after dark with tip ups and get walleyes. Anywhere from 4 to 10 FOW over rocky shoreline. Try it in the summer as well, but throw those raps right next to shore wink.gif.

Any of you knuckleheads going to hit the old river this weekend, looks like the minnesota side is dead, i might try my hand at crappie or hit the open water.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about going down there one last time. Hows the ice looking? Anyone catching anything down there? Thanks.