• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rangefinders??

rodbuilder

Hey all. I gotta question. Is there really a difference between the higher priced range finders that they sell at the sport shops and the cheap range finders they sell for golfers?? It would be nice to have one for bow hunting (so perfect optics aren't a must), but I refuse to pay 200-400 for one. How bad could the 40 dollar golf one be? Just thought I would post to see if anyone has used the golf ones and if they do the trick.

THanks!!

The golf ball ones and the regular range finders are not really even the same from the ones I've looked at. The golf ball one I looked at uses the pin on the green as a gauge to judge your distance. Many of the hunting orientated range finders use a laser to bounce information back to you from your target. I've been looking at rangefinders for some time. The prices have been coming down but they are still way down on my "need" list....

JEV

I bought a Bushnell,forgot the model,but paid around 225 for it.My friend has a much more spendy Nikon for 350.I personally dont believe you need one that good for bowhunting.I use mine to range to different spots from my stand and deer out a ways from another stand on a field edge.

When rifle hunting on big fields,I will range deer to 300-400 yards,so the model I have works fine.It all depends on what you are looking for and how many bells and whistles you think you need.

Look at some of the options to see if it works in rain and other modes.I really believe my 200 dollar one is as good as the 350 Nikon, but 40 dollars isnt much so I personally cant tell you how well it will work.

There is a difference in the strength of the laser, if you are up around the 500-1000 yard range the golf ones have a hard time reading off of a deer. You will hear people complain that they can’t get a reading; this issue in part comes from the laser.

I personal use a Nikon 440; I find that I don't ever range anything around here past 250 yards. When I go out west I use a Brunton 1500, it has a very powerful laser and can get me out a ways on a goat. I would be more than happy to set you up with a good deal on the one that I use, just give me a call. I give a pretty good deal to FM members.

Talk to you soon

I have the Nikon 440 and I really like it. For bow hunting its all that I need. I got it new on Ebay for $170.

When I first get set up in the stand I will range the area and make mental notes. I never try and range a deer if its in bow range unless its grazing in an alfalfa field and I have all the time in the world. The problem is that now I have one less excuse for missing.

Nels

• 4 weeks later...

I own a Leica 1200 and love the thing. My primary use is for exploding prairie dogs at 400 to 800 yards. Used it once in Montana to shoot a whitetail at 420 yards. If all I was going to use it for was less then 400 yards I'd probably not bought this one. But it realiable gives me readings at any range out to 1200 weather or not the target is a grassy hillside or a rock.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.