• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zippel Report 1/16 - 1/18

It was our first trip to LOTW so take this with a grain of salt...7 guys caught 38 fish in 3 days. Missed 2 big pike, forgot the gaff that day. Most fisherman had the same type of success. Some of the experienced/lucky guys did better, many did worse. Things picked up on the last day when the sun came out and Nick put us out a little deeper. Nick has a stressful job when fishing is slower than normal, nice guy. Jigging for walleyes and sauger is more fun than I thought. Didn't think I'd enjoy catching 13" fish. Used small shiners on glow demons (purple). Next year I wouldn't buy any jigs ahead of time. Show up and see what's working. I ordered a medium-light rod in 28" length. My rods were too stiff. Caught walleye/sauger on tip-ups too with a small shiner minnow on a single red hook, eagle claw size 4. Had a great time, regardless of the fishing, laughed our butts off. Would consider Zippel Bay again. Fish ranged in size from 12-19". We thought the size limit was 13" until the last day. A few small perch and kept one pike for dinner.

thanks for the report. fyi - fishing is usually better at LOTW, sounds like fun was had however!

Thanks for the report. I really enjoy when people post fishing reports it really helps us all.

I am glad to here you had a good time up there. LOW is a great place to fish and I hope you will return to do it again.

Thanks again for the report.