• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Eye's?

eyehead

Well I can help you narrow your search down atleast. If you see me fishing in a particular spot, then your best bet would be to try the other side of the lake.

You can safely bet I am not catching any monsters.

The Mississippi river just down from St. Paul or wait until April and fish the catch and release zone on the Rainy River.

there are plenty of monsters in mille lacs. my buddy i was with in early dec caught a 29 and 30 in in same day. same whole actually. i have seen plenty come out in the fall and early ice. my last four trips i have caught at least one 27 in which is not a monster but they are pretty fat right now.

Not sure what a true monster is to you, but there are many very nice fish in the 28"-30" class in the lake. Legally you can keep these, but please release. Reality is for this lake in paticular it is hard to call them a true moster or trophy as they are caught with regularity all year and especially in the fall. Many guides and locals actually keep tally on the 28"+ cpr'd each year and the number can easily be into the double digits. After 30" they get very scarce and anthing that truly tapes at 31"+ is very rare indeed(anytime you measure a walleye you always round up to the next inch right guys smile.gif This time of year you want to look at shallow water at low and no light conditions for the biggest fish.

I agree with big eyes 31 are more rare but a a 31 out of mille lacs is a heavy fish specially in the fall or early winter,the big pearch hatch a couple of years ago has really made these fish healthy. Now if you are looking for a true monster 13 14 15 pounders i would suggest Red River early ice or in the fall. Lake Earie holds some monsters. As for the original question where on mille lacs cant imagine to many people are going to divulge a particular spot to catch the big one.

My experience has been that no matter what the lake, as long as there are walleyes, and no matter what the season-shallow water at night is THE ticket! Just do a little homework (that is why we are all here grin.gif) and you will get that trophy. I have even caught some pigs from beaches shore fishing. Pay attention to where minnows like to hang out. Keep your eyes peeled!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Oldehulse06
      Going up to visit family at Mille lacs 4th of July weekend. Given the current fishing restrictions and the fact that I don’t have a boat, does anyone know any good shore/kayak fishing lakes in the Mille lacs area?
    • JBMasterAngler
      Spent yesterday afternoon wading the upper croix. Water actually seemed a little low. There was lots of floating grass, so my traditional approach of using a fire tiger jointed rapala was unusable. Tried a whopper plopper for a bit, which avoided floating grass better, but I just didn’t have confidence in using it. So since it seemed like the crayfish outnumbered the rocks, I decided to use a weightless Texas rigged plastic craw. Caught 3 smallies, and a pike.   
    • h8go4s
      Here's the actual water level as of Saturday, 6-25. It has dropped some but still is 4 feet above the rule curve. This is updated daily; it's just too early in the day for Sunday's data to be posted. You can check it yourself here: http://www.lwcb.ca/waterflowdata.html
    • Wanderer
      @chaffmj, never mind.  I decided to take a cruise on up there today.  Had a couple popple tops in the driveway but nothing I couldn’t clear.  Nice to see the area again.
    • BrianF
      Ludlows and Muskego both hit hard.  The Dayton place had a lot of big trees down, not sure of structural damage.  Some say a tornado skipped thru that area.  Looking at the destruction, I could believe it.  I feel bad for those impacted by this storm.   Below are a few snap shots of common sights around the area a day or two after the storm. 
    • Wanderer
      Mike, was there a lot of damage in the Ely area?
    • leech~~
      Drove through Annandale last Tuesday and was really bummed to still only see the old cement slab at Little Jim's. Hope they can get it built-back-better! 🙂
    • bfisherman11
      I heard recently the water level had gone down some. Sound like folks are re really dealing with a mess.    Fishing pictures look like a good year in that regard.   Hope the property loss isn't terrible but seems bad.   Bill 
    • Kettle
      Yesterday was a grind to find bigger fish but we landed a few. Only 3 fish overall but they were all nice fish, all C&R. I do believe the sunfish are out of the shallows besides small ones. Thursday I took the nephews out and didn't see any on beds.  
    • redlabguy
      Glad you keep coming back, Mark. And glad you still know the way to catch a slew of walleyes. I wish i could’ve learned more while you were here. But I appreciate all the information you provide on what worked for you.  Strange year. We just got part of our dock in and our boat. I fished a couple hours this morning for the first time on a Frazer hump you know and caught ten under 12” and one keeper which I released… a nice 26+“. I’m hoping more to come soon. I hope all is well with you, Dick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.