• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cingular Wireless

jeffyo45

Question

Anyone have Cingular Wireless that wants to comment good or bad about their experience with this cell phone provider? Mainly I want to know how it performs in the rural areas of the state. I do alot of hunting out by Willmar and down by Marshall and alot of fishing in the west metro and up north. Can I expect to get service there? Also, can I expect to get service at home in Watertown (north of Waconia and south of Delano)?

My wife needs a new phone and I found a deal to get 2 new RAZR's for free if I sign up with Cingular so that is the reason for asking. I currently have T-Mobile and had Sprint in the past. I have not been particularly thrilled with either of them although T-Mobile has been better than Sprint but I think that is mainly a function of expanding coverage areas.

Thanks for any input. Like I said, I want good and/or bad.

11 answers to this question

I have Cingular through work. We had AT&T and then swithed with the buyout. So far it's been pretty decent. I don't get to western or southwestern MN too often, but up north it seems to be better than any of my friends phones. By Lake Vermillion last summer I was the only one with service out of 8 guys. Customer service with Cingular is another story. When I called to make the switchover from AT&T it took probably 90 minutes on the phone to get setup. They didn't seem to have a clue. Even others in my office had the same problems. Hope this helps.

also have the razor phone,works great locally,had better service from att,dont make it to your area very often so i have no idea of coverage on your area,still trying out all

the features of the phone as i havnt had it only a couple months,they will start nights at 7 for $7 per month extra if

that helps at all,did for me

I agree with blacksheep. AT&T coverage in western and northern minnesota was pretty good. I used to get decent coverage even up on Upper Red. Now that it's Cingular, service is terrible even around Cold Spring and Alexandria. Lots of dropped calls and waiting to get service. I'd look for something else.

Verizon, get a tri mode phone and never look back. I use one for work and travel all over the midwest and no drop calls..

see my post under the "Verizon or Sprint" thread in this forum. Cingular stinks!

Also, I have a friend that has the razor and she hates it. Not very durable and she doesn't use it the way "most guys" use a celluar phone.

I have Cingular and have been very happy with my reception. I do have some drop offs every now and then, and sometimes my friends have no service with any given brand and vice versa -BUT- I seem to get service most often. Maybe the phone has a little to do with it. I have a plain old Nokia 6010. It is very rugged, holds a charge for well over a weekend, and it was free with my plan grin.gif! I was out in the middle of Nemadji Forest grouse hunting when I encountered a party who had some lost hunters, and while the service was marginal, it was better than any others, and I was able to call the sheriff to organize a search and also let the others call their wives. Plus, they have a very affordable rate plan with generous minute allowance. I highly recommend them.

I have only had a couple carriers but Unicel is my hands down favorite. Customer service people are actually in Minnesota and helpful. I frequent Southwest Minnesota and have had excellent coverage. Same up North.

I've had pretty good service and coverage with Midwest Wireless. I would look into the trimodal phone though. Since I got rid of my dual mode phone and now have digital only my coverage area has become more spotty in the hinterlands.

Overally I have been pretty happy with the at&t and Cingular service I have gotten. Make it out of the twin cities area qutie a bit and I have to say that since I started on GSM the coverage has gotten MUCH better. Between Plymouth and Hutch the service is hit and miss so I can't vouch for the Watertown area. We do head toward Detroit Lakes as well as Hayward at least twice a month and we seem to have signal at least 90% of the way. Just switched to the Motorola from Nokia and so far that phone seems much better. I had not had any problems with Nokia for 6 or 7 years but sure am glad I made the switch.