• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Woman Lake Ice

I will be heading out this weekend to catch some Perch and Walleyes and was wondering if someone can tell me what the ice thickness is ? I am guessing that driving a Jeep out on the hard stuff is not going to be a problem now, but would like to get some info before I just drive out.

I have my spots on a couple of Humps I know all marked and ready on my GPS, but do not want to walk a mile unless I have to.

Good Luck on the water.

W&W,

I was out on Woman this Past Friday and Sat. One side of the lake I was on had about a foot, same with the other spot on the other side. I guess I took out my 4-wheeler, and I don't plan on taking my truck out anywhere this year. For me anyway, fishing wasn't great,but I managed 5 perch,2 small eye's (non-keepers) the one night, and then a small northern, and one 14 inch eye the next.

I guess I hate to say you shouldn't drive, but geez I don't know if I would risk it. I haven't seen even a track of anyone driving.

Good luck if ya make it out!

Adam

Average 9 to 10 inchs some more little as 5 found I have only used 4wheeler and snow machines,haven't drove my jeep out there yet.

Thank You Very Much for the updates. I really do appreciate the inforamation since we have had such a strange winter. I am just amazed that we do not have a little more ice out there considering we have little snow and it is always below freezing at night. I guess there is a few inches on the ice for the last 10 days or so that may have slowed any further ice growth.

It stinks I will not be driving out. I am going with my wife this time and I am always excited for her to have a wonderful time so she wants to go more often. The walk will probably be more than she wants to deal with. I could chooose some spots a little closer, but I want to put her on NICE fish as well.

However it works out I will post what happens Sunday evening.

Thanks Again

I have ice fished Broadwater Bay and Girl lake the last few years. Heading up there next weekend and wondering if any one has tried ice fishing Gov. point? Is the ice safe through the narrows between broadwater and woman lake for a four wheeler and fish house?

Thanks in advance,

JP

JP,

I have not tried to go through there as you have asked, but I would say if the is any current, you may want to stay off of it. Someone may have more info after me. But it's going to be in the 40's the next couple days.

Be safe!

I ran from the main lake into broadwater earlier this month, plenty of ice for a sled or 4-wheeler.

Since it is so wide very little current runs though there, so the ice is usually fine. It gets a lot of snowmobile traffic as well.

I am fairly certian there is open water in the channel to Girl lake though.

I am heading up towards Woman next weekend and was looking to try it for the first time. I drove by the public access off of 5 last weekend and saw a couple portables set up 150yds out or so. Could anyone tell me what depth those guys may have been looking at and what they were targeting. I don't have a four wheeler or sled so I huff it out to fishing spots and that looked like a possibility. I am mainly a panfisherman and was looking for any info.....thanks for any and all replies.

Panther,

Not seeing where those houses were set up, I can't give you a depth, but I know there is a pretty good drop off there. My guess is that they were fishing for perch and eye's. Another place I have seen houses is a little farther south of the big access, they is another drop off by the old access. There again I would say eyes and perch.

Good luck if ya go...hope I helped some.

Thanks Cyber....I am gonna give it a shot Saturday afternoon. One other thing, when you say the 'old' access, can you park there and walk out as well? If so, which road is that off of? Thanks again!

Panther....the old access isn't very big, and it's right off 5. (It's right off the road) I am pretty sure if you see it you will know. There are a few posts closing it off, but I have seen people pull into it, park there and walk out from there also. Last I was by there there was one red house not very far out.(50yards?) I can't remember miles wise how far it is from the new access, but if ya keep heading south (or west) on 5 it's maybe a mile or so on the left side. Not much snow on the lakes anymore so it should be a easy walk wherever you go out of.

Good Luck

Panther,

I was out tonight and checked it....1/2 mile from access to access. If ya go out you may want to wear some kind of cleats. She's slick out there.

I got one perch and lost what I thought was a nice eye!

Cyber-

Thanks for all the info. I'll be out in the ol' fashioned clam 460 assuming it is not too windy. Good fishin'!