• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shinners what kind to bring

what is the diffrence between emerald shinners and regular shinners is their a certain kind of shinners that would be the best for low we do get fatheads with our sleeper shack but were not afraid to waste some money if the shinners dont work. what about emerald shinners

Emerald shiners are the minnows that inhabit the Rainy River and LOTW. They are usually about 1.5-3 inches long and quite thin.

I have brought silvers, spottails, and goldens up to the Rainy and LOTW with mixed results. All of the three mentioned are typically longer and thicker than the emaralds. There were more times when the emeralds outfished the other shiners, but every once in a while I've hammered big fish using the latter.

Hope this helps.

MJ

Don't stop a few bucks short of a good fishing trip!

I like to take emeralds, fatheads, & maybe a few rosies if I can find 'em. Everyday can be different but yesterday the sauger (& a 13"perch) wanted a tailhooked fathead on the deadstick and the eyes wanted shiner heads on a green or red Buckshot.

Somedays they'll bite on anything but you can't try different baits if you don't have them.

Doesn't hurt to smear a little Berkley Powerbait walleye formula around either.

Good Luck!

rosies are pink/red minnows that some bait stores carry. the were hot on URL (and some metro lakes) for awhile. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks about the emerald explanation (had no idea what they were either). So if they are a regional shiner can you only get them when you get there or is there somewhere to stop on the way up (leave friday myself so just looking to cover all of the bases).

I have never seen the rosies in Minnesota. We have always used them quite alot for perch fishing on Green Bay since I was in high school, which was a long time ago. Some days those little orange buggers were the only thing that was working. I would definitely take some to LOW if I knew where to find them.

thanks for the info fellas is there any where around the metro or on our way up to the low to get emerald shinners

The Log Cabin just about at the end of the river road has emeralds and fatheads. Steve or EJ will let you know what's going on out on the ice too--and if any baits are hot.

Good luck.

All the local shops have emeralds. Just talked to Gary at Lucky Bait, west of 72/11 intersection & east of Baudette, & he has a good supply of rosies. Not sure who else.

Seems like some days the rosies just make fish mad. I usually try them on a deadstick. They are tough like a fathead so they kick more & longer than a shiner. The wife will use a head on her jigger sometimes. Maybe those are the times she out-fishes me. I need to pay more attention!

Good Luck!