• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pout

broncosguy711

Anyone keep these? How are they cleaned and cooked? just curious as have eaten bullhead and catfich and such for a try. wondering what line of fish taste they are in?

Thanks

Broncs

Cod.

And as a side note, in Alaska, anyone will gladly tell you where to catch any fish you would like, EXCEPT Pout, those spots they keep to themselves like a gold mine.

SFBOY-

I saw your post that stated "eat them fresh, do not freeze them". I am going on a 2 day trip starting Friday night to Mille Lacs until Sunday., What to do in that case when I catch them Friday night? A cooler? Mix them with the Eyes and perch in a cooler of water?

thanks-

Broncs

If you have the luck up there that my buddies had last weekend, you wont have to worry about eating or catching too much. If you are staying in a cabin or can put a deep fryer outside of a Hotel room, even go to shore and cook them, (see dont clean your fish on the ice), then I would cook them right there and then or as soon as you can get them home. I honestly like them more than the walleyes when they are fresh but you need them in the 4 or 5 pound range to make it worth your while cleaning them. Trust me that you do not want to freeze them. Good luck up there.

As you can see in other posts I am staying in a sleeper from dickies. And that is why I am wondering how to keep them fresh. Do you think it statrs when they are dead for a while? how long was the stuff you tried frozen? sorry but just wondering. What is used to catch them? I have a secret weapon ready for the weekend up there so not worried as I will probably be catching to many fish with so many decisions. how many can be kept? tired of the questions yet? if you want you can e-mail me @ aces711.net if you do not want to post here.

thanks SFBOY

Broncs

I KEEP THEM WHENEVER I CATCH ONE. I DON'T FISH FOR THEM, BUT CONSIDER THEM LIKE PORTERHOUSE TO A ROUND STEAK. IT'S A BONUS. MY BEST WAY OF CLEANING THEM IS TO SAVE THE LOINS, THE MEAT ABOVE THE RIBS ALL THE WAY TO THE TAIL. THE REASON FOR THIS IS THAT THEY HAVE SOME TENDICIE TO LEAVE A SOUR GUT TASTING ON THE RIB MEAT, AND WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T CUT OPEN THE BELLY WHEN CLEANING THEM, THE GUT TASTE WILL GET ALL OVER YOUR MEAT AND THEY ARE NO GOOD. I AGREE WITH EVERYONE ELSE TO NOT FREEZE THEM, HAVE THEM RIGHT AWAY. COOK THEM IN A FRYING PAN WITH BUTTER. THEY ARE CHEWY AND REALLY DELICOUS. HOPE THIS WORKS OUT FOR YOU. DON'T FORGET TO ADD SOME SEASONING WHILE COOKING.

how do I keep them fresh without freezing if I am there Friday Saturday and Sunday morning? where should I keep them?

Pout are great eating. We've got a lot of our friends and family hooked on them once they have tried it. There good fried in a pan with butter or breaded and deep fried. you can also soak them in milk overnight. Seems to make them taste even better.

Bronco...Hey, don't let these fellas trick you! It's a conspiracy! Eating a Pout is like eating the skin on a 97 year old snapping turtle!

Those things are bad, bad! Right out of the hole, a large one will make a play for your throat, first chance it gets!

Sometimes they will coil right up the line, wrap themselves around your arm and squeeze until your fingernails turn black and fall off! I've seen it happen!

They are coated with a slimey brown substance that if it gets into an open cut, your eye, mouth, or whatever, you will go bald instantly! I mean slick! Well, maybe not slick, kinda patchy?

Your hair will be laying on the fishouse floor like the pine needles from the 3 week old Christmas tree you threw out!

The only thing that can get that brown stuff off your hands is a mixture of Acetone, ever clear, granola oil and terpintine...applied with a brillo pad!

I don't know man, I would think twice, maybe three times before even looking at a Pout...I've heard that lookin em in the eye can cause gout..gout, pout, makes sense!

Seriously, I've tried em and although they are alright, I really think that messing with them is more trouble then it's worth....if someone else wanted to clean em and cook em and do the clean up, etc., etc., I'd surely help them eat em though! grin.gif

I have never had pout until 2 weeks ago. I found on another board the easiest way to clean them is to make a slit just behind the gills and go all the way around until you meet upto the start. Make a slit from the top all the way down to the tail end. Nail the head to a board and take a pair of pliers and pull the skin towards the tail. Then cut out the back straps. It is really easy.

As for the taste. I will never throw one back as long as it is big enough. We tried deep frying in Shore Lunch and also boiling it in Mountain Dew. I will not do Mountain Dew again but I would like to try it in water again. The shore lunch was excellent. The hardest part is getting by there smell and looks. After that is all down hill.

As far as cleaning them goes, if your knife is sharp it is pretty easy to fillet off the back straps like you would other fish. A big pout has a couple nice strips on it. Over the course of my fishing career I have tried eating pout a number of times. Whether boiled and dipped in butter, poached in chicken broth, or stewed in fish chowder I find the texture to distract from the culinary experience. I can only describe the meat as "squeaking" against your teeth when eating it. I have been told don't cook them so long and the texture thing will not be a problem. Next time I work up the courage to clean a couple of them again, I'm going to try boiling the fillets in Sprite.

Cook some up and let us know how they turn out.

Agree with the grebe. If someone else cuts um up, maybe give it a go. I was curious one time and fillet a lake carp and cooked um up. One of my worst feeding experiences in my life. crazy.gif It was 15 years ago and still to this day, I remember the smells, slime, and nastyness.

Definately try though grin.gif

JJ...I did the same thing....got a small carp, filleted it up, took out some of that red meat along the sides and fried er up!

When I was a kid, my dad used to smoke up little carp in an old refridge smoker and they were good, I'm talking maybe 8" to 12" fish.

The only thing I can say about fried carp in the same size range is that it is strictly survival food...yuk!

I have had pout once and it was really good. Just the tail, nothing else. Skinned and boiled in half water half milk. Has the same texture of Cod. Great dipped in melted butter.

The other thing with pout is that if you freeze it it wrecks the fish and it will take on a rubbery texture causing that sqeakiness you talked about. If you toss it out on the ice let it get to the point of being stiff but not frozen before you clean it. Pretty darn good deepfried in beer batter! If you aren't going to eat it throw it back, even the lowly pout deserves our respect.

Tunrevir~

Alot of discussion on this fish and all it really is, is a freshwater Cod fish. If you have eaten Cod, or Pollock, you have eaten cold water Pout. Kind of a Maine Lobster, Rock Lobster thing, with a twist.

I like cod and have made a few different ways and enjoyed it all. I am just trying to figure out the fresh thing as can not freeze (not supposed to) and being there from friday until Sunday.

Now I am just looking for a answer of keeping it fresh as I can not clean fish on the ice and will hbe there for 2 days.

Here is one idea for keeping fish fresh. Never put it into practice but the theory sounds good.

You could simply put the fish on a stringer possibly two stringer tied together if you need it longer and put the fish back down a hole. You would need to tie the striger off to something. Make sure you do that before you put the fish down the hole. I have seen people throw the stringer of fish over the side of a boat after forgeting to tie the strigner off first.

hmmm wonder if that would work for the winter. am bringing up the auger and could drill a hole out side somethwere for them. not as worried about the perch or eyes.

You just want to make sure if you leave them in a hole outside that the hole doesn't freeze back up before you get them out. That will be fun trying to get them back up through a frozen hole.

My plan was always to do this if I caught a walleye or what ever I was going to eat. That way I didn't have to fillet a frozen fish when I left. And then if I didn't end up catching enough for dinner I could still let them go safely.

not so sure you would want to release the fish stuck at the bottom of the hole for a day. couple hours maybe.

i use a 5 gal bucket for fish. just fill about half full with lake water and ice from drilling a hole and fish stay alive until i get home to clean them. i knock them out and do a little spiritual ritual giving thanks and end up with the best fish to eat possible. :-)

regards,

minnesotatuff

The releaseing of fish would have to be done within a few hours I would guess. Probably not going to work if you catch a fish on Friday night and don't plan to leave until Sunday. But it will atleast keep them from freezing.

what about a cooler and keep the fish on ice in water. think that would be fine? instead of freezing and just keeping it cold?

after you "keep" a fish you cannot return it to the lake. stringers are very hard on gills i am sure your fish would die anyway so if your going to keep fish fine but if your not sure if your going to dring them home put them back right away so they live - whats the point in releasing a dead fish.......

I use a bucket or cooler, alot to keep fish in. I'll put the fish into what ever im using and then keep it in the house where its warm. I just keep putting snow or ice on them so they stay nice a cool. Works great, and then you can clean them as soon as you get home. If its below freezing out make sure you put them in your vehicle. or that there in a good inslulated cooler so they dont freeze on the way home. Made that mistake a few times.