• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was curious me and a buddy of mine are coming over to washington tuesday around 4pm and i was curious what landing is the best to go to and what the easiest way to get there. The first time this year i went i turned right at the BP Gas station in madison lake and took a few lefts and turned at the camp patterson turn? Is that a good one or is the other landing producing more fish?? Also how long is the bite going at night does it stop at a certain time or just keep going? If any more tips or ideas im listening i havent fished this body of water much and i appreciate all the help i can get! Good Luck Fishin!

buster1118:

First,Welcome to Fishing MN.You just found one of the best fishing web pages around and the people are more than willing to help others.

The first thing I would do is get yourself a lake map.As far as landings,both Westwood and the North landing will get you to some very good fishing.

For Sunfish,if you fish any area with a weedline and water from 4-15fow you should find some sunnies and crappies.The crappies I usually target around the deeper holes in the lake,where you can also pick up some nice gills.

This lake is very clear so you can go with just about any jig you would like.I usually start out with a shrimpo or ratso with a waxie or a spike and if they wont take that then I will remove the waxie and just fish the jig.Ther are many jigs that are good on this lake which include the Custom Jigs and Spins and JB lures just to name a few.Dont be afraid to up size you bait to maybe catch some of the bigger fish if all your doing is getting the smaller ones,might help.Colors I usually start out with are white,black,blue and glow red.Sizes 8-10-12.

For the crappies,you can either use a jig and waxie or a jig and minnow.Sometimes it works well to deadstick a jig and minnow and then also jig a jig and waxie at the same time.Dont be afraid to change up alot with your color of jigs and sizes to find what they want.Some of the jigging spoons will also work.Sizes 6-8-10-12

As far as the time of day,your lowlight periods of the day will be better,yet the day time bite can also produce some very nice fish to.I have heard of some people catching some very big gills in very shallow water at midnight or in the very early hours.

Probably the best advise that I can give you is to drill alot of holes and keep looking until you find a pod of fish and then work them over with everything you have .

Some of the normal places people fish is mud bay,just out from the landing at Westwood,Bakers bay around the corner from squirrels nest point,out from second or third point on the east half of the lake or the north landing bay.Also,when looking at the lake map you will see different deep holes around the lake and you can hit those or the drop off near them.Once you are on the lake you will see where all the houses are on the different spots and dont be afraid to venture out on your own to find a few new ones also.This lake in my opinion and many others is probably one of the best around for gills and crappies for size and numbers.

I hope this helps you some and if you have any other questions just ask and im sure you will get many more responces.

As far a fishing equipment,if you dont have a spring bobber on your rod I would suggest you buy one as this will help you alot with those light biting gills and crappies.For the crappies,if your fishing with a bobber,use the ice buster bobber and either put enough weight on it so the top of the bobber is just as water level or trim the bobber.If you need them,Joe at Reel Fishing and Tackle will have both on hand or you can buy the ice buster bobbers and other very good tackle from the tackle page on this web page and the cost is very little.

The other thing that will help you catch many more fish is a Vexilar or a Marcum locater or any other model made.You will be able to then fish those suspendedd fish that without a locater you probably would not be able to catch.Good Luck.

Directions to the lake I cant help you with as I dont know the road numbers as I come from the north.

Welcome buster!

Harvey Lee pretty much covered the spectrum. That information will definitely get you rolling!