• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1/22 report

gman2002

today wasn't very productive to say the least! started out trying for some crappies.turned on the gps and headed for my secret spot, lo and behold there were 4 portbles right on top of my cords and i mean right on top. this was not a spot where i have seen anyone on for the last 4 years, but for some reason there was guys all over it. that changed my plan up a little bit! tried another spot and caught about 15 silvers with alot of sniffers that just wouldn't hit. tried from 17 -27 ft fot some suagers and that didn't work, again a ton of fish on the marcum but nothing would hit, and i changed jigs about 10 times ! then i trid a couple sunfish spots and cought nothing but small perch? in 10 - 15 ft of water. ice seemed good everywhere i went, and i went everywhere. still can't believe that there was people on spots that i was the the only one on for the last 15 years, and i mean they were right on top of these spots but oh well the rivers big enough for everyone i guess. starting to be alot of people on the wisc. side in the usual spots, so its time to start breaking away from the commotion and working om the fish on the outskirts !!

I fished the Wi. side this morning. I also marked lots of fish but very few caught. I did manage one 15" Sauger but never any more. Those silvers sure are plentiful though!! I had 10" of ice over there where I was in 42' of water.

Thanks for the Report guys!!!! How thick is the ice out there??? Been trying to make it out there, but due to the warm weather, been hitting a few lakes close to home in Western WI, been doing good on Gills! Please keep us updated on your adventures on the St. Croix, hope to be out there soon too!! tongue.gif

Just wondering when you guys say "Silver's" is that the shad your referring too?

Thanks

I was out sat in 42' caught three craps 1 big 1 two average didnt see whole lot caught by anyone in the 8 hours iwas out there. one nice size mooneye caught no silver bass that outing. will try later this week.

Silver bass as in Whitebass I'm guessing. any size cause they fight pretty good open water?

Later

Yep white or silver same fish No I havent seen any one catch one of any size but some *&% threw a 2-3 lb on the ice to feed the eagles.I beleive they are in there just havent hooked any over 6" YET. You are right they are ablast to catch kinda like a super charged crappie, if you ever get into them with a fly rod you wont beleive the fight!

Cool Thanks,

I don't get out there ice fishing too often, but open water I'm there. Them Whitebass pound for pound might rival the Smallie I think.

Later

Them whitebass are good eatin to me. I love fishing them in the spring and summer. Haven't fished them in the winter but would love to give it a try. Maybe this weekend I'll hit St. Croix for some whitebass actions. It's music to my ears when I hear that whitebass are hitting on the river. Can't wait to go get'em. Good fishing every body. cool.gif

I don't know why some people think that white bass are not good eating. In the spring when they are nice and fat, I actually prefer them over walleye. White Bass actually eat less trash than most fish because they are crazy minnow hunters. In the summer all you have to look for, in trying to find the whitebass, is the minnows trying to jump out of the water, because they are being chased by a school of whitebass. Pound for pound they are one of the great fighters. Have fun on the Croix this weekend, I might be there also, so if you see a big green Eskimo QuickFlip III give me a holler. Good luck yalls and stay safe.

I find white bass to be of very poor eating quality, if you cut out the red meat they are bearable but you guys must be really hungry to eat those fish. they are more of an irritant than a real gamefish, there are about 10 other species in the river that taste better. walleye,sauger,perch,sunfish,crappie,smallie,catfish,sturgeon,just to name a few. mudpupie might even give them a run.

I've heard that if you soak them in milk a little while, about an hour before you fry them, the milk will absorb out the flavor of the mud vein or what ever it is called. Many people will also do this with venison, etc to take the strong gamey taste out.

yea i was kinda wondering about eating them things, but i'll try anything once. iv'e also heard about a blood vein. if someone has a way to clean and cook these things let me know. seems everytime out i get 5 -10 of them.

Just fillet them like you would a crappies, when you skin them you'll notice some darker fatty meat along the center of the fillet. There are two ways to deal with this,first, you can try to fillet the meat off the skin but up say 1/8" off the skin will remove most of it or fillet the meat off and then turn it over and fillet the fat off. They eat up real good and if you serve them with crappies people will not know the difference except for the extremely large "crappie" fillets they are eating.

Tunrevir~