• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Eagle Lake

Hey All-

Has anyone been out to eagle lately? Just wondering how the crappies have been biting lately. Sorry, the eagle lake in big lake not the one in monti.

Was out for a while sunday, the bite was pretty slow, and the ones we did catch were all small. Not to mention the constant distraction of the micro perch, couldn't keep them off the line.

I've personally never caught an 'eye (never tried either I guess), but people say there are a few in there. I heard they used to stock it (not sure how long ago).

If this is the Eagle lake just north of the city of Big Lake, I've posted on this lake before. Anyway, I will summarize. It sucks! Like I said I posted on this one from summer fishing.... My wife's aunt and uncle own a cabin on it and needless to say I've wasted countless hours searching and trying just about any and every tacktic for all the main predator species of sport fish. The only thing is I've only fished the lake in July, August, & Sept... So maybe during those particular months the fish don't eat... anything... at all. I'm guessing I've spent around 50 to a hundred hours on that lake in total. I have in that time landed zero state fish, 2 or three small pike, 2 dog fish, 2 small Lg mouth, and a handfull of small sunnies and crappies off the dock with the kids. But all in all I would not choose to fish it unless I had no other options. Hope this helps...

Well, when it comes to walleyes, I think I'd have a better chance of catching one in my bathtub than in Eagle Lake. I do have to say that there are some bass and pike to be caught out there. You're not going to catch tons of them, but when you do, they will be decent fish. The crappies can be caught in the spring and winter seasons out there. You will have to weed through some small ones to get a few nice ones.

Fever, I agree this lake can be frustrating. I would never fish it for walleye, but I did witness a guy catch 2 nice walleye on the lake last summer, a complete fluke, but there are, or at least were, 2 walleye in that lake last summer. As for bass, I think its a good bass lake. It has taken me a while to find the spots, but once I found them I've had some very good days out there. Not a numbers lake for me, but good size fish.

My folks moved to Big Lake a couple years ago and I have fished Eagle quite a few times. We had the best luck trolling for pike along the weed edges. All the fish we caught seemed to be nice fish and we kept a few, (24"-30")however action for any other species was pretty lame. Luckily my ol' man doesn't mind the snakes and loves to troll. We did hook into some nice eyes on one trip, but never found them again!!! I think that the small numbers of walleyes and large amount of forage, limits the feeding windows for the eyes. All panfish have been very small and not worth chasing. I have yet to try ice fishing out there, but might be giving it a try this weekend. I'll report back on Monday.