• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4th Annual Burntside Bash final details

dangler, scroll thru the other Burntside Bash thread stickied at the top of this board and you'll find lots of advice on lures, etc. See you up here! grin.gif

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Surface Tension

• chunkytrout

• Xplorer

Ciscoes, shiners, and smelt oh my!

Hey ST, if you have room for a spare cot in the truck, could you bring it along. I might spend saturday night in my portable and I haven't been able to find one.

The wife and I will be there !! can't wait for revenge on the lakers anybody going to be out Friday?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chunky, I've got 4 people and their gear in my truck. If I have enough room I'll throw a cot in there too.

I'm off to bed and will be at the lake around 7:30 AM.

See you guys at the Bash.

Wayne, half a dozen or more of us will be out poking around tomorrow. We're meeting at the Van Van access around 7:30. Channel 7, no sideband, if you have a radio.

Just got off the lake visiting Carlos and Bucster. Going for that thursday night late bite. grin.gif Could have been wearing the skivies only! Wow was it warm. When I left, it started to pour. FOLKS!!!! There are TWO parking areas at VanVac. The upper and the lower. Park at the upper til it's full. The road to the lower was greasy tonight and with the brief rain could be worse Friday. DONT go to the lower without 4WD. We'll be getting people unstuck all day. It's an easy pull down to the lake from the upper lot. When you get down there, flip me the bird or something and we'll come get you if you're on foot. DONT take your rigs out please!!! There's a foot of ice or so and if everyone starts driving out we'll have a mess. Sorry to be a freak about this but there's locals bringing vehicles out there already and if we get a number of rigs piled up, water will come through holes and make a mess of everything.

Again, everything above is a plead not an order. I'd just like this event to stay high and dry long as possible. Icewise anyways. We've all seen decent conditions turn to crud in a couple of hours due to heavy traffic or ice-mall parking lots.

On the bright side, 4 nice lakers today out of HQ area and one pushing 10. Good odds and odd weather. We'll see ya Saturday.

You are right it is odd weahter. It has not rained in Babbitt at all tonight.

Was there water out on the ice already? Is is sloppy/slushy?

Thanks for the periodic updates.

Ok, I'll be the first. "I pledge to leave my truck on shore, regardless of how much ice I find when I drill a hole, or how many other trucks I see parked on the lake"

Work today will surely D-R-A-G by since I am so anxious to get loaded up and hit the road. I am looking forward to meeting many of you in person and hopefully ice me a laker!

Yup, today is gonna suck, especially thinking about all those guys out chasing trout's in this summer-like weather, while I'm sitting at work. Came VERY close to being sick today grin.gif

Just looked and it is 41 in ely as i type, what the?????

Unreal weather.

Chunkster, are you gonna have an all night poutfest out on the lake?? I'm game for sure!

See you all in the AM cool.gif

What would suck is if we were running in the Ragnar Fun Run. I'm guessing re-named the Mud Run! Very mild temps out there. I'm leaving the shack at home today for sure. I'll bring it out Saturday. We'll leave you folks a few trout.

Wade, thanks for the pledge! Hopefully everyone will follow suit.

Well, now I'm so tired from working all week between farm things and getting many things ready for this trip. I'm thinking about 20 hours of sleep would feel great.

Whatever isn't done or packed. we can do without!!!

Looks like my two sons are tagging along(15 and 18)

Well, Wades calling on the caller ID, will post up ater he gets home.

later boys

Well, there is slush everywhere, but this is not the nasty stuff that boils up through cracks under a couple feet of snow and bogs everything down. This is the three or four inches of snow that turned to slush after two days in the 40s and a night of rain. And that's not bad at all.

I was out all day with S.T., Reefraker and a couple others. We had a good number of submerged visitors, and pulled in three lakers the first couple hours this morning at a spot that, if we told you where it was, we'd have to kill you. Rick, you and Dennis know the spot! grin.gif But after 11 a.m., they shut off COLD the rest of the day, and we never saw another fish. Bright sun, strong west wind, very warm. An easy day to be on the ice if you were in the sun and out of the wind. All three fish were three to four pounds. Two came on tip-ups with live chubs half way down the water column, mine came while hole-hopping in 50 FOW and jigging a No. 11 glow/chartreuse Jigging Rap tipped with a strip of cisco. Had to really work that fish, and he didn't lose his temper and slam the thing until I ripped it up 20 feet above him, paused while he came up, then dropped it back 20 feet below him as fast as it would fall, then paused to wait for him to drop back down and before he got all the way down to the lure ripped it right back past him 20 feet. When he came up that time to get it he was one mighty angry trout. SMACKDOWN! Remember, you may be using walleye-sized lures, but this ain't walleye fishing. Forget the subtle one-foot lift-fall, jiggle, lift, pause crap. cool.gif

Two were stockers the same size with clipped adipose fins, mine had no clipped fins. Bruledrifter, we'll save the remains for your research project.

See you all out there tomorrow. It's not getting cold enough tonight to freeze up the shallow slush/water on top of the ice, so Bring your waterproof boots! grin.gif

And here's your final Burntside Bash forecast:

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low near 25. West wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of rain after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 36. Calm wind becoming east between 5 and 8 mph.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 24. East wind around 9 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 34. East wind around 8 mph.

Oh, and a final note. A couple days ago a 13.5 (yeah, shmarty pantses, pounds, not inches) came out of the breakline where HQ will be tomorrow. You don't need to go a mile to find good fishing, as long as it is a GOOD FISHING DAY! cool.gif

went down and looked at the landing and was wondering if parking on ice was an option. We are down to 3 and no sled. Leaving twig little aft 6 am.wILL THERE BE ANY ONE TO HELP GET PEOPLE OUT ON ICE.Wehave one guy who has some work done one his heart.

Dude, dude, dude, other posts earlier on this thread and on the other stickied Bside bash thread specifically ask folks NOT to park on the ice, and also tell everyone that, YES, there will be people with sleds/wheelers to help those without and that good fishing water is right offshore.

Fri was a very nice day to be one the ice, my son, ReefRaker and Jerry were really looking forward to the Bash. Fri night after dinner Jr started getting the chills. Later that night, a full blown case of the flu had struck him. Needless to say not much sleep for him when the big D started.

After his 3 AM shower, I was up for the rest of the night.

The Bash was not going to happen for us and I needed to get the little guy home so we left Ely at 7AM.

While he lay in bed with mom tending to him, I took his car to the Derby that we decided to forgo to attend the Bash.

His car took 1st place for the Den and 1st place overall.

That seemed lift his spirits but not as much as a Laker caught at the Bash would have.

Frank, it was with a sinking heart that I got your call this morning and had to come over to take the prizes and some other props for the Bash. It wasn't the same without you and Reefraker, and Jr. would have had a great time. It was the first Bash without Surface Tension and Reefraker frown.gif (no monsters, Lonnie, like you commanded, but better than many days for trout.)

There were nearly 50 Bashers, not as many as last year's 80 or so registered for the formal Ice Leaders Bash event, but a whopping total for an informal FM gathering.

And since we had great prize donations by FM sponsors (THANK YOU; I'D NAME YOU ALL BUT FOR THE FACT THAT AFTER A WHOLE DAY GETTING SPANKED BY WIND I'D BE SURE TO MISS SOMEONE), everyone who came walked away with free prizes of lures, caps, binocs, shirts and other ice gear. grin.gif I'd also like to thank BoundaryWatersRadio.com. Mike and Mary came out on the ice and recorded a broadcast with interviews and everything. And Hannah Banana, sorry you put your foot in a slush hole of our making! blush.gif Hope that warm fish house fixed all that up. grin.gif

Oh, and since we were fishing, here's the fishing report.

At least three caught limits of two trout each. Several others caught single fish. Many fish were seen on electronics but not coaxed into biting. Biggest fish brought to HQ was about 5 lbs, biggest fish not brought to HQ (that we know of) was a 26-inch native that was put back, a 6 lber or better.

I would say Bashers landed at total of 12-14 fish, equal to last year's landed success of 13 fish. This year's success ratio was higher, considering the relative numbers of anglers and fish caught. Only one laker was caught right off the Van Vac access, though several were seen.

Unfortunately for Wade Joseph and Xplorer, though people all around them were smacking the ice with trout off Dollar Island, trout rookie Wade and veteran Xplorer were skunked. And the insult was more harsh because people sitting right next to Xplorer earlier in the day up on the North Arm landed several trout. Ouch! Xplorer, go see the Trout Doctor for what ails you. blush.gif

But for those laying over, there is tomorrow. We'll be out there on Sunday zipping around and hopefully hooking the monsters. If not monsters, who cares? We're fishing!

To all who came, we thank you. To all who donated to the cause on the ice, I thank you. To all the sponsors whose merchandise we gave away, WE THANK YOU!

In other words, we thank everyone who was involved in a positive way, even those who were "non denominational" (Casaloma's buddy). grin.gif

Chunky and STF -

Thank you for running the show. You guys are the Abot and Costello's of Burntside. grin.gif Great job with the Bash.

ST - sorry to hear about Jr. getting sick. Hopefully he is feeling better.

This was my first bash and I want to thahks all of you for a great time and good memories. I was nice to put a face w/ names. My 3 1/2 year old son a a wonderful time and is stilll talking about it. He wanted me to take him fish'n this morning...

I think he just wated to chase girls around on the ice. Thanks again and I am looking forward to next year. smile.gif

I'm glad everyone had a good time and fish were caught. Although the big guy was'nt caught a 5 lber. is still a nice fish. I'm going to try to make it next yr. Now I can't say I've been to all of the bashes, but we did try.

Wade, Nolan, Charlie and I just got home.

Fishing was much slower this morning.

The only fish landed today was from Steve. He had just released a 30 incher. Figured it to weigh about 12 pounds.

Nice fish Steve, ya got to let us see the picture of that one.

For me, that sucker would have been comming home for sure.

Good Job Steve.

Mike, Steve cris and everybody elese great to meet you.

Mike and steve, Thanks alot for putting on such a great show. You guys put us on the fish and treated us like we had been buds for years.

Thanks, my boys really enjoyed the trip.

Wade, thanks for inviting us to go with.

I caught my limit and both my boys got each a nice fish.

I wish old wade would have got to land one but that just makes sure we will be going back to burntside.

Maybe that was Wades plan all the long! LOL

Later, chuck

I just want to clear up ANY misunderstandings right now. I did NOT get skunked, I ran out of time. tongue.gif

Next year I will be up earlier and have a better plan since it won't be completely new to me.

The fact that the boys got to catch a few makes the trip a success for me. Icing one for myself would of only made the trip even better.

I had a great time, was good to put some faces to names, and I look foward to fishing with some of you again!

It was nice putting faces to the names as well was meeting new fmers.I got home down here in Thorp at 4 p.m. this afternoon.In all had a great time with everyone.

------------------------------------------------

Frank,

It was sad to hear about the boy.Did you find your jigging bate on the back porch where I put it?

Perch, it was good seeing you. cool.gif

Wade, why wait until next year? Plenty of laker season left. grin.gif

Just wanted to say that it was good to meet all you guys, jiganator and sons, wade, wayne and mrs wayne and others, and to see familiar faces again Catfish, Chunky, Casaloma.......

Just wasnt my weekend fish wise, but you couldnt have asked for a nicer day to be on the ice. Mild temps and wind, easy travel up to the Arm, and a good group to hang out with smile.gif

I think that I will have to make another pilgramage to the B-side yet this winter, look for a Xplorer and Xplorer Jr. sighting the weekend of 2/11 if i can find a cheap hotel room.

Chunky, thank your buds for a great late night grillout on the ice, did they pickup anything overnight?

So what are the big plans gonna be for the 5th annual B-side Bash next year?? grin.gif

Great to meet a few of you, we didn't quite make it on time.... ok we missed the whole event basically. We were the guys who showed up around 3pm with the Arctic Cat race sled. We didn't fish Burntside Saturday, but went back Sunday and caught 2 nice 4.6 & 4.7 pound lakers, both were clipped fin stocked fish. Both were caught on tipups, one with a large rainbow the other with a dead cisco. Was pretty fun pulling those guys up. The first one we looked out and saw a flag, so I opened the otter and didn't see it spinning, so I walked over slowly and was like, "its not spinning..." then the tipup moved a little. We didn't know what to think of that, so I grabbed it and the fish took out all the line on the tipup. Needless to say we didn't get skunked our first time winter laker fishing and had a great trip. stfcatfish, sounds like you had some fun Sunday as well. Also caught a 7.5 pound pout that we kept for eating, the stomach was full of smelt.

Chaff, I haven't looked for the exact date. It's usually about March 15, with lakes wholly in the Bdub open two weeks longer.

Xplorer, let us know when you're coming for sure.

Krash, looks like Sunday wasn't a bad day if a fellow lucked into the right spot. grin.gif

I had no doubt I was going to miss out on a great time and it sure felt strange coming home early Sat morning. Jr is doing better but stayed home from school today.

Perch I looked on the porch and saw the lure. Thanks for bringing it back but you didn't have to do that.

Xplorer, I'm planning on getting back up there with Jr, maybe we can hook up and do that together.

ST,

Glad to hear that Jr is feeling better, was sorry to hear that you, Jr. and Lonny had to head back.

By the looks of things, the weekend of feb 11/12 is about the only one that will work for me, with the 25/26 a slight possibility. Let me know what you are thinking.

My other thought was red lake for that weekend if i could find a last minute sleeper cancellation for cheap.