• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bmc's Winnie fishing crew.........

Hey guys and gal. Just wanted to say it was a blast hooking up with the Duluth/WI crew for the Winnie event! I had a great time and the fishing wasn't too bad either. From Northlander's beer boiled brats, BD110's pickled northern, and lota's hi-tech mapping system, little perch's venison, and the few fish that cooperated, it was a great day. Looking forward to when we can hook up again. We should plan on next winter again, even if there isn't an official event. Let's not rule out the rest of this winter and summer either. Did you guys hit the freezing rain on the way home? It started here around 9pm, but I got sidetracked on the way home at the Oupost in Deer River, and came out around 11 to find an iced up truck.

Brian

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nice to see you again Brian.

I was telling STF the Slender Spoons from Custom Jigs & Spins you had good luck with look a lot like the discontinued Tingler. grin.gif

Good to see you to Frank.

Guess what my new favorite walleye bait is? grin.gif We should try to hook up for a laker trip up on B-side yet this winter. I wish I could make the Bash, but it just ain't gonna happen as I'm on nights Friday night and will be entertaining the kid's on the weekend. They don't quite have the patience yet for lakers! wink.gif

Brian

Brian it was a lot of fun hangin out with ya this weekend. Let me know when you get into some eyes or Crappie up there and I will drag BD110 and Lota back up for a couple days.

Hey Brian,

All I could think about when we made it home on Saturday night was sleep. I can no longer get Fishing MN at work the site is blocked. Now that I'm at home I can do some posting. It's just about 10:00 am on Monday and I just got done starting a double batch of Pickled Northern. That's 6 Quarts if you are keeping track.

It's always great to hook up with you Brian. I'm sure that we will get out again before the water opens up. Scott and Steve my daughter Stacey seemed to have a good time hanging out with us so that a plus for me. Little perch I was going to ask you if your house was a little warmer after we got the bottom part hooked thru the sleeve? That's a nice rig you have it should last you many years.

Frank, I wish we had more time to spend with you during the day. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and say hi. The Duluth crew was a little smaller in numbers but they always seem to have a good time.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Take care,

Tom

BD110,

Yes my shelter stayed a lot warmer.I thought for a little while I was haulling black top again.I really had to turn the heat down a long ways.Again thankyou Tom and Steve for helping me fixing my shelter.

Brian it was nice to meet you in person this weekend.Loadad you shure got the cat meow with that map on your fish finder.Wish the fishing was a bit better.But in all had a great time hanging out with you all.

Tinglers? Oh, yes, those! Well, I didn't give back ALL the ones I borrowed a couple years ago, and they've been catching lakers at a smart rate. grin.gif

bmc: Good quote on McGuane. I've got all his stuff, and he's the best fishing writer I've ever read. "Silent Seasons" is a must for any reader who fishes, or any angler who reads. And if you like horses, his "Some Horses" is tremendous. Though a novelist by trade, his best work is in his essays, I believe.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.