• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scouting Camera's

Shwangman

Looking at buying a couple of camera's to put in different woods that I plan on hunting around home and in Rochester. The prices range from $39.99 and up. Does the cheap ones work or is it a waste of money and which camera's does everyone use if they do/

Thanks

Thanks

With all your $$$$ Schwang, get the best!! Actually, glad you posted this topic. Thinking of getting one as well. Seems like we just need to do a little research to see what one meets our specific needs. I'm also going to put it on a tree near your cabin this summer so everyone can see the real "Schwang" in action! shocked.gif

Funny boy!!!! You sound your uncle rod, first thing out of mouth, when are you buying a new boat, not, going to ride in his new boat, right!!!! Put that dam camera by Bill's cabin and you will get action, a whole lot of ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz!!!! All kidding asides, I will be buying 1-2 but, can't see spending ???? If a cheaper one will do the job. Told your Dad & Mom, going a Cruise in 2007 and to think about going along!!

Last year I paid about $60 for the Stealth Cam 35mm with the near/far trigger choice. It is a pretty good camera and took great photos.

Only problem with 35mm is the cost to keep them running. Film and batteries get expensive, especially if you get a lot of traffic in the area.

I developed 5 rolls of film this season and replaced batteries twice. The photos were great but I got several pics of small animals and it also took a bit to learn how the cammera works. That means I took a few empty photos before I learned how to set it up properly.

I should've tracked the cost of this stuff but I didn't. I do however remember that is was prolly well over $50. FOr that extra cost I coulda bought an average digital trailcam thats only maintenance cost is batteries.

I will be buying a digi-cam for sure this year and I probably will only use my 35mm one is places where I'm focusing ona certain couple animals, not for general scouting purposes.

The area that I deer hunt is roughly 250 miles from where I live. From September to rifle season, I will get up there two or three times at the most. Is there a camera that will work for me, considering my limited access to the area?

Ah cameras.....

35mm are going by the wayside pretty fast.

But, the one thing great about the 35mm is their fast resonse time. When it gets triggered, you are gonna get a quick pic.

Digitals are getting better, thank goodness. But I am still finding that the 35mm gets a better pic most of the time.

What I mean is that with my digitals, I still get a lot of "butt" pics, whereas my 35 mm cameras typically get a good shot of almost every deer that comes by.

I cannot complain with the performance of the cheapest of 35mm cameras. I have Stealthcam MC2-G's and they are flawless in operation. They are about $40 now.

They do eat batteries, but I tried rechargeables and they do work good. But they are spendy and you need a lot of rolls of film to offset the cost. Then factor in the time and money to develop the rolls of film.

It adds up.

Digitals are awesome. No waiting for developing. No added cost running to the store and developing. But you pay more for digitals. Upside is you get a big memory card and you let it lay on a tree for weeks and get hundreds of pics. How can you beat that?

But my argument is this...

I can buy a lot of 35mm cameras and cover a lot of areas since I can tend them on a weekly basis, or spend my cash on 1 or 2 digitals.

What do you want?

They both have their positives and negatives.

I like digitals more and more. But I have worked into them.

If you are fresh off the street and looking to learn about trail cams, getting a few 35mm cams is not a bad thing if you want some coverage.

If you have cash to burn, do NOT hesitate to pile up the digitals.

I would agree with Big Lake.Get a digi if you can. I have bought two DeerCam's by Non Typical. They are about $79-$99. I love them they are the 35mm version of the CuddeBack so they do have some of the same features. I just didn't have the $400.00 for the CuddeBack. But if I had it that is what I would get. For Law Firm if you could afford a digital get it. Most of the Trail Cams take Compact Flash Media and you could get a 512mb card for about $50 and it would hold several hundred photos. On my 35mm's I just set the camera delay at 5 minutes at rubs and scrapes and 15 or 30 at food plots. That way I don't burn too much film. My battery life was excellent. Used from early October through 1st weekend of firearm and didn't need to change batteries.

Thanks for the good information and I will use it when I buy one this summer.

Hey BLB

Have you herd of the Buckeye cam

It sends a wireless Video to the receiver.

buckeyecam.com

Anyone try one?

Heard of it, and I have seen the price too.

Whoa!

I better win the lottery if I want one of those in the next few years.

For now the digitals are my interest, since they are coming down in price, and getting more affordable.