• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been fishing Pelican? I am wondering if things have picked up at all before heading up next weekend.

I've been there a few times, drilled lots of holes on many of the spots I have fished for 30+ years. Perch everywhere, With all of the 2 inch perch (2-4 feet on the bottom in every hole) I don't expect there to be a good bite for walleyes or pike in the near future. There are so many baitfish thet they have plenty to eat. Only thing in favor of the fishermen in my opinion is that the lake is unbeleivably clear for pelican. Can see minnow if you jig it 12 feet down. I would expect that the best bet for walleyes will be at night when the eyes are cruising the breaks feeding. Kinda think the gamefish population may also be substantially lower than in recent years, Don't know why else there would be such a boom in the perch population. If I were going out again, I would try the break west,south of the narrows, or the break just south of the access.

Funny. All we saw New Years weekend were perch. Hundreds of them. It's cool being able to use the camera though. Might try the deepest hole next weekend. Not sure what else to do.

fished the hole by Phillip's point (Indian Mounds), The hole south of the Rushes west of Vodka point, out from Bird island, and off the break of Big island, many other spots also, perch, perch..... Couple of crappies and eyes a month ago, no reports since. The flatlanders fishing by the narrow part of Widow's bay were catching some pike, that was 2 weeks ago.

Have you noticed how the Crappies do not seem to school up on Pelican? One here, one there is all I have ever been able to get. Can't wait until open water now that I hear of the fishing still being slow. As odd as it seems, I'll have to keep fishing the metro to get some fish.

Cheer up boys because Pelican has been pretty darn good for my buddy and I this past winter. I started fishing the lake in the evenings and nights this past October and have been back to the lake a good 5 to 6 times since then. I always go back to the same spot and it is good for walleyes on a regular basis. The spot is a hard one to explain - if you look at the launch on the lower left hand side of the lake and then trace the south shore all the way until the largest looking point/indent into the first majoy bay on the south shore. We have been fishing on the bay side of that point in about 15 to 20 feet of water with plain hooks and minnows hooked in the back all winter long. The bite has been from about dusk to three hours past dusk... We haven't had a bad walleye night yet out there since October. I usually am a Devils Lake guy and won't touch the MN lakes, but Pelican has been a good one for us...

Also, the reports of the lake being clear is a right on statement. My buddy and I can see our minnow 15 feet down when there's daylight and have tried to even see it in the 20 ft. holes. No such luck with that, but because it is so clear, we had to give it a try! I thik that's why walleye fishing is not very good during the day time hours in Pelican because it is so clear. Its sure a good night time lake though for walleyes!

going south from the access until the first major point puts you off of the rocks between shore and bird island, That narrow spot in the lake is shallow and should be observed with caution at all times. There are years when the ice heaves or just does not freeze well there, and others when it is just fine. Just use caution, Pelican is the lake where my friend went in last year and didn't get out.

Glad to hear the good report, maybe my assesments of the lake are wrong, I hope so, but still have my doubts.

As for the crappies schooling, they do, but the lake also gets hit hard if there is a good bite so it periodically cycles with regards to population. Seems to be more consistent towards spring, although there are times when the crappies bite all year. Good luck fishing, glad I'm not on pelican today with this wind.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone been out lately? We are heading up on Friday. If things are still slow, our kitchen project will be #1. Here's to hoping fishing is good.