• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I Finder Hunt C.

iffwalleyes

Question

Ok guys I just got a Hunt C this winter. And I am already on my second one. The first one that I got and I had a unfortunate incident that involved my 280 Lb body and the GPS in my bib pocket which resulted in a cracked display. So anyhow I got my replacement unit from Lowrance today (which I did have to purchase) and I have had it on and off through out the day today and it still hasn't locked in on postion. I had it one of one point for better than 3 hours. The first unit I had was slow as well. I have to say so far I am very disapointed with these units. I had a global map 100 unit and I have never had to wait more than a minute for this unit to gain position. I am sure there has to be a setting I am missing but what is it? I have already turned the WAAS off and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I would call customer service but of course they have the weekend off and won't be back till Mon so I am wonder if anyone else has a fix for my problem. The first unit it still want as bad as this one because after about 5 minutes at least that one would get position so that I could use the mapping chips. Right now I get nothing.

15 answers to this question

Sorry to hear this...I've been kicking around buying one of these units next week. I have had problems with my Garmin as well. Maybe these units all have problems as one of my buddies is having trouble too. Keep us posted.

J.

I have no doubt that it is a good unit but not sure if the one I got back has a bad receiver or if it is just a setting.

I think it's safe to say it's a bad unit and needs to go back.

I just fired up my H2O inside my cabin and it took less then a minute to aquire a 3 D fix. frown.gif

I would have to agree that something is wrong with the unit or it has something wrong in the setup.

I have the H2O B&W and I have a friend with the color unit and two friends with the Hunt B&W. All 4 of us used it the middle of January and none of us had an issue with the units getting a lock quickly. I locked quickly on a lake or in the truck driving. We had the WAAS enabled and it still locks quickly. My previous GPS was a Garmin III+ and the Lowrance locks quicker than that one.

SOmething is definitely wrong. I have the new Expedition C and it locks in under a minute. I would call lowrance or exchange it at the retailer for a new one. Are you using it inside? I have a very weak signal and it takes a long time to lock in if I am in my house. Outside I have never had a problem. The WAAS should not matter. It will lock even without a WAAS signal.

Have you tried changing regions?

I was playing with my buddies on Mille Lacs and it worked great. We were on Lake of the Woods a couple days later and were having trouble until I changed regions. Worked perfect

after that...

Good Luck...

Scupper what do you mean by changing regions I don't know what that means???

I did manage to finally get it to lock on position today what that was after having it on all day yesterday. And to answer some question about where and how I was using it. I went to fargo and picked it up and drove home 1 hour and it never locked. Then I had it in front of my sliding glass door which faces south in my house for the rest of the afternoon yesterday and it never locked. Today I drove to the lake and that was about 45 minutes and it never locked. Finally on the lake it locked in. I turned if off and on twice and it locked within a mintue of turning it on. So I shut it off and then turned it back of for the drive home about 4 hours later and it never lock on the lake or on the way home.

Now as for how it is mounted I have it attached to the A Pillar in my truck so it is right in the window so I can't think of a much better place to locate it in my truck. So I really am at a loss for what is wrong. So I will call Lowrance in the morning to find out what I am missing or if there is something wrong.

I called my friend and he explained that they are files not sections.

I also went to the lowrance site and pulled up your users manual. It did offer some good reading as to what you are/ might be experiancing.

I'm confident you will get it worked out.

Good Luck...

I bought an iFinder Pro recently. It has a lot of trouble keeping the lock. In my truck if I pick it up off the dash to read it the thing loses the lock. I also have a Magellan Platinum and I get a lock with it when I'm inside my house. I wonder whether these cheaper units have a lesser ability to hold a lock. I have also read that guys are having trouble getting the machine to fully turn on and I think that has to do with having very large files on the card. I bought a 1 gig Sandisc and it takes a long time for the unit to fire up with all that stuff.

My advice is to turn it on and set it outside and see how long it takes to lock with nothing in the way. Trees, clouds - could slow it down.

Well I talked to Lowrance today and the had me completely reset my system which is done by holding the pages key down and then pushing the power button one and holding both until the "warning do not use for nav........." pops up then you let the buttons go. This will not erase your way points my main concern. They said the first time after reseting it should take about 20 minutes to regain position well after 2 hours still nothing for me. So tomorrow I need to call them again to find out what I am to do next. It is just frustating for me because I know that they are a good unit but I must just have a bad unit. Hopefully tomorrow they can get me some other help.

iff-

My H20c typically locks in within 30-40 seconds of initial powerup. When I'm out on the lake fishing and I shut the unit off, it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to reacquire its position.

Hope you can figure that problem out Jason, yours is way off the mark from what it should be.

Talked to Lowrance again this morning. They got a new unit in the mail to me. So hopefully this one works out for me.

Well I am in business now. I got into the office today after being gone on the road all week and Lowrance had gotten a new Hunt C to me. I powered it up and within 10 minutes I was in business position locked. I turned it off and on a bunch of time and it regain position easily within 30 seconds. So it looks like they got me fixed up. This unit appears to be working a little better than the first one that I received even. Now I can play around with my new lake software for the lakes I fish in North Dakota that came while I was gone to.