• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SW Fishing Report

minnesotatuff

fished the southwest corner from about 7:30am until 6:45pm. found spots for the 4 to 5:30 bite right away in the morning. actually fished it for a hour and a half or so before moving to deeper water for the day bite. during the day i was about 21 fow. for the night bite i was in 15.5 fow. i got a jumbo almost immediately when i moved. i also lost one on the hole that was bigger than the 10.5". darn end hooks on jigging rapalas... does anyone have experience with jigging them without the end hooks? ive only caught one fish ever that was even hooked by the end hooks. that one was only secondary to the trebles being in already. i saw about a walleye a hour on the camera throughout the day. once, while showing my camera to a guy from work, we saw two walleyes come in at the same time. that was the excitement though...couldnt get them to bite. for most of the day we were pretty much by ourselves and we were about 40 or 50 yards apart. i moved back in shallower for the prime-time bite. it wasnt very incouraging. i went from 4 to 5:30 without even marking any walleyes. the perch had gone, then, all of a sudden, a guy starts drilling a hole right in back of me! there is one house there. they were there during the day, after i had already had my night bite holes set up and moved to deeper water. lucky i left my truck where my set up was. they could of had there holes ready instead of drilling on a small area in shallow water at prime time. it was 5:30. about 6:00 i was talking to my buddy on the walkie talkies and all of a sudden, when my concentration was off the vex for an instant...i got a bite. it was a beautiful 17". that made my trip. so, tomorrow morning im having fresh walleye & perch for breakfast! mmmmmmmmmm... hard to beat that combination, especially from mille lacs and during ice fishing. its the best!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Minnesotastuff: Sounds like you still had a fun day chasing the elusive marble eyes. We were over near Hennpin Island all day. Marked several nice eyes in the camera's but they were lookin' not biting.

I had an experiance at about 545pm that had I not been ready to leave could have been bad news. A house about 75 yds away and one of the people starting doing wheelies and donuts on a 4 wheeler, one of the new kind that looks like a golf course brand. Well thats fine he's over by his house, but then he decided to started rippin' right behind our house and I mean within 10 yds of it and doing loop d loops. He was not some 10 yr old kid who didn't know any better, he was an adult, at least of the teenage vintage. My Yukon was parked right at the front door so it was pretty (Contact US Regarding This Word) obious someone was in the house. good thing we were leaving or I would have been tempted to go over and ask them if they had a clue about fishing etiquette. Some days you really wonder about peoples mentality. Good luck on your future trips and hold onto your rod. Bill

minnesotastuff- I would cut those hooks off your jiggin raps. As soon as I buy one I just take a pliers and cut off the front and back one. Then I'll replace the factory treble with one about 3 times the size. This is for a #3 jiggin rap, the small ones. My hooking percentage is real good, usually never lose fish either.

I do the same thing to my Raps. I have had the experience of losing a 10# plus eye at the hole because the front hook hooked on the bottom of the hole and "poof" gone. I replace the treble on these with a 1 size larger red treble. Then snip the front and rear single hooks off. Have'nt had a problem since. wink.gif

thanks for the responses! i bet we could start a pretty good post about fishing etiquette... :-) ...sometimes i feel like "grumpy old men"...lol.

as far as the raps, ive always used larger red diatchi triple hooks on mine but am going to head down to do some trimming now after reading your comments. ;-) thanks again.

on a sad note, i just got fired today...first time in my life, blind-sided and walked to the door. their reason...violating the company policy for harrassment and derogatory talk. im in shock! the woman who wrote the complaint was coming on to me for the last 2 months. at a company get-together for happy hour and hor-derves. i smoked a cigar with her. when she couldnt get it burning, and looked like she was trying to smoke a joint, i commented, "what a p__sy". it wasnt intended in any other way other than "what a wimp". after the smoke, we joined the table again and she joked to everyone "he called me a p__sy". i didnt think anything of it. this morning when i got in, the department chief asked me in the conference room...he said they have a zero tolerance for harrassment...and they have had oral complaints, or comments before... never did they warn me. if i did say something that was even remotely inappropriate, i always apologized. now because this woman wrote a complaint, the company is frigid...and, im out!

there is a silver lining....i get to go fishing during the week now when most people cant! this all happened this morning and im still in shock...dont know whats going to happen.

best regards,

minnesotatuff

Sorry to hear about the job.

Unfortunetly thats what companies are forced to do now days. They are better off letting someone go instead of risking a really expensive lawsuit by the person who made the complaint.

I don't know why companies don't have better communication with there employees when it comes to infomring you of wrong doing.

I suppose in your case if they had a complaint about you before and they failed to act on it they really had their hands tied this time. If they didn't fire you they could really be looking at a lawsuit if the person thought the company ignored it.

I do wish you luck, things usually have a way of working themselves out so hopefully that is the case here.

Just go out and catch that 30 inch walleye this weekend, that should liven up your mood a little.

• 2 weeks later...

went out of Terry's for the day bite, hit Shermans and 8 mile flat...couple small bites, thats it, dude with a camera nearby said there were fish down there, just not eating and all the perch and wallys he saw were small, hit deep water and on top, waxies, minnows, plain jane rig, jigging, etc, etc. oh well, thats why they call it fishing and not catching.