• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello all FMer's,

Just wanted to drop a line about fishin on Rice. Was out there from 2-6:30 today. Had a great time, pike were active all day on the weedlines and would bite about anything you put in front of them. Caught a few decent perch also during the day which was a nice deal. The eyes stumped us today although we had ALOT of late flags but could not seem to seal the deal. Oh well theres always another day, but it was a great day to be on the ice. Maybe thinkin about goin out tomorrow to boulder or island, not sure though?? Good luck out on the ice.

Where does a person start on this lake? Structure seem hard to come by on this lake. How is the ice?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The lake is fairly flat and one tends to go about it aimlessly. To get to know this lake and do well in the winter you have to fish it in the summer and GPS your spots. What your looking for is something out of the norm like rock or gravel bottom, weeds edges, rock piles, large boulders, stumps, channels and points. Even knowing this you'll have to bounce around till you find which areas are holding fish but at least you'll be hitting stuff thats outside the norm.

Deep Sinker,

ST is right the lake looks like it flat shallow bowl that lacks stucture. I have found that there is plenty of structure to fish you just have to get out there and check it out. The weedlines are the key if your lookin for pike, where I fish on rice the weedline is in a about 4-5 feet of water. The big island in the center of the lake also has rock humps to the north of it. Its a hike but its worth the walk. Hope that helps.

-UMDWalleyeGuy

Just a little side note. Its really easy to find structure in this lake with your prop grin.gif The north side of the island I heard good reports early ice. Like most lakes around here the evening is the best. At least it was early ice.

Here is a fishing report for a windy Monday afternoon. I was on my way out to try some Looper fishing, thinking that the wind may shift behind me and Lake Superior would be fishable. Just as I was ready to leave I got a call from Lota Lota and he said we should try Rice lake.

So with a quick change of gear and a hook up to my trailer, I was off to the bait shop. It was windy and we tucked ourself in front of an island on the other side of the lake hoping for a little cover. We Set up in a wopping five feet of water and started setting up tip-ups. After a couple pike in the 20 inch range and two jumbo perch one 12 inches and one 12 1/2 inches. Things got a little interesting when the flag went up for the third time. I grabbed onto the line to set the hook and it felt like I had the bottom of the lake. After a quick yell to my buddy Scott for a little help I started to pull in the line. When it was all said and done I had a 40 inch Northern on the ice. After a quick measure it was back down the hole.

All in all it was a good day after all even if it was a bit on the windy side. Rice lake has a strong Northern bite as of late. I know for a fact that there is a 40 incher still swiming around looking for something to do.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

BD110, Congrat's. on the pike. Sweeet laugh.gif Hopefully we can see the picture's. They sure are husky this time of year. Thank's for letting her go. BC

Tom, very good one!!!

Bring that luck to the Burntside Bash. If you pull a 40-inch laker out on Saturday, I GUARANTEE you'll be the talk of the region. grin.gif

Great fish Tom! To bad Lota didnt remember the camera til after the fish was back down the hole. Rookie! wink.gif