• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I think the new slot and limit regs will be a good thing for Vermilion. I am all for them!

This topic was also discussed extensively earlier this year and many others also indicated that they were also at least pro slot. The 4 fish limit may have been going to far, but the DNR seems to think not.

Cliff

My honest thoughts at first were "Why both?"... Go with a slot or a lowered limit, but then as I took the time to just relax a bit, I realised that if I take my 3 kids that fish out with me, that's still 16 fish!!! MORE than enough for a meal for all 6 of us in the family. Would it be nice to add 8 more to that limit, if I was keeping a limit every time? I guess, but not necessary...

I also started to think about it, and realized that for the most part, I was already keeping things within certain slots for size, and also keeping the numbers we keep down too. SO I guess for me & mine, I'm not against it, especially if it will help keep Vermilion a strong & vibrant fishery for years to come! grin.gif

Hey guys what are the new #'s for 2006. I have seen a limit of 4, but what is the exact slot going to be. I have looked around, but can only find the 2005 regulations. Thanks

Hey guys what are the new #'s for 2006. I have seen a limit of 4, but what is the exact slot going to be. I have looked around, but can only find the 2005 regulations. Thanks

The slot for walleyes starting this opener will be:

All walleyes between 17" and 26" must be released. One walleye over 26" may be kept as part of your limit.

I have also heard that the 4 fish daily/possesion limit will also go into effect.

Cliff

I have not seen anything official in print yet, but I have heard it from two reliable sources that the slot restrictions will start on this opener.

I will see if I can get the official news from the DNR today.

Cliff

I just checked the Mn. DNR web site for new regulations and it listed the new regulation changes as: All walleyes between 17" and 26" must be released. One fish over 26" may be kept as part of your limit. 4 walleye daily limit.

Cliff

Considering the size of the one's we caught this year and the smaller one's I watched being caught, I think it is a good thing. It's nice to catch some with some size once in a while and as they get larger, I believe they'll produce more. It's a great lake, but the walleye fishing was disappointing.

Hate that web page is getting sooooo slow. Last year it was easy to catch lot of 15-19" walleyes. I don't like the 4 fish limit. The slot is no issue for me as I like the 13-15" walleye for fish fry.

....8 is easier than 12!!!....but the rules are going to be what they are...i dont mind it overall...the limit thing is kind of different...hope it works the way they want...but fishing was pretty good overall if you went to the fish!!!!

I think they are looking to take some preventive measures. In other words, why wait until the fishery fails?

I don't mind the lower limit and my only thing with the slot is some fish are going to be put back in the lake just to die from being hooked too deep.

When I talked to the fisheries guys in Tower about it, I was told one big reason for the limit was that angling walleye harvest on V was significantly over its target for sustainability. Thus, the new regs. They conform with other large walleye waters in the state, which CAN support heavy fishing, but only for so long. As most of us would agree, I think, it's better to nip it in the bud than court another Upper Red Lake. There are some key differences between URL and V, of course. But regardless of who does it, overharvest is overharvest. I'm very much for the new regs.

I think you may be right about the increased fishing pressure. The 4 fish limit should have been done much earlier, IMHO. But how much more pressure is there over the past ten years? Fish taken from too deep of water may add to the mortality rate as well as the deep hooked fish as Up north referred to.

Also, I'm wondering how much walleye spawn is gobbled up from suckers and the rusty crayfish every spring. The muskies and big pike will take care of some of the suckers, but how do we get rid of those pesky rustys? More crawfish boils?

Yeah, I too have noticed the snails pace page loading at times. Must be more pressure on FM as well.

I think the crayfish are here to stay. They certainly are changing the face of the lake. How long until there isn't enough aquatic vegetation to support the current food chain?

Stfcatfish,

I hate to start thinking about the crayfish damage 10 years from now! frown.gif

Hopefully the fish will keep adapting to eating them and keep the population in check! smile.gif

I did not see nearly as much sign of the rustys last summer as I have the past few years. laugh.gif

Cliff

Haven't heard that Trout is involved in the slot. I'd say it's not, or I would have gotten that in the press releases I got about the V slot/limit.

Cliff, that's good news about the rustys! grin.gif

For clarification is it a 4 fish posession limit, or 4 fish daily limit. The internet regs say 4 fish posession limit.

The DNR was looking for input on their proposed slot & limit over a year ago, based on their creel studies the lake was being overharvested by "fisherman" by about 20,000 pounds. I sent in my vote to go ahead with the proposed slot (17-26) and the 4 fish limit. But added that anyone who know's anything about Vermilion walleye fishing, knows that a limit of walleyes that are in the 17"-26" range is not to realistic for a days catch. Most of the walleyes caught out of the lake are under 17" anyway. So I proposed to the DNR that if they really wanted to protect and reduce the harvest levels they should also add a slot limit on the 0-12" walleyes!!! I would bet, and have seen, that there are way more people out on the lake keeping those smaller sized fish under 13" (that they call "Vermilion size") than a bunch of walleyes that are being kept over 17". By protecting the smaller fish they could reduce the havest numbers and increase the medium 13"-17" sized fish. 4 fish that are in the 13"-17" range is more than enough for a meal....I do not see that the new slot will have much of any impact on the lakes havest, because it is the smaller fish that are being overharvested. But I do like the idea of incresing the numbers of bigger fish over 17"!!! And the limit change for those people that are keeping those 6 little ones, will now only be able to keep 4 little ones, so that will help some!!...I agree that 4 fish that are 13"-17" is more than plenty to make a nice meal or two! If it's not, than just eat a little more potatoe salad, and french fries along with that nice fresh walleye dinner.....

I am glad to see mostly positive comments about the new regulations. I think they are the proper direction for the DNR to take and if it needs to be adjusted down the road at least then it will be because we have too many good fish,not because we don't have any. Cliff, I think we will be around next month sometime. I will let you know,maybe we can get togther. Mike

back to trout lake you can keep 5 fish up to 24inch and 1 over for 6 fish then drive home, portage then cross vermillion load boat,dnr wants to see how you did and just tell him you were in trout and show day pass and its "ok".i would think that there is not a slot or limit on trout, but getting out is different

Daily limit and possesion limits are to be considered the same on all fish except perch, which is 20 daily and 40 in possesion.

Cliff

Mike,

Give me a call if you get up!

It will be good to see you again!

Cliff

Cliff,

Were your oberservations of Rusty's based on the East End? As far as vegetation is concerned I saw a big decrease starting in Niles bay and heading west last summer from the summer before, especially in Niles and Wolf bay. Numbers may be down but still way too many. Not much we can do about it but monitor things at this point. Crawdad boils help some.... laugh.gif

All of my rusty observations came from the East end.

Sounds like they may be moving farther West now. mad.gif

Not a good sign!

Cliff