• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kab. Info For 1st Timer

Will be on Kab. for the first time this summer. June 23-July 1. Staying at Birchwood resort. N.W. end of lake. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

I have stayed at Birchwood for the last two years. Great place, great owners. I am not the resident expert, but the guy who runs the Gateway Store on the corner is very helpful and will tell you, straight up, where to concentrate your efforts, plus, everything you need in the way of supplies are found in his business. Get a good map of the lake and start studying now. For walleyes, take jigs, rigs, crankbaits, and slip bobbers, plus your assorted tackle for pike, smallmouths, and assorted panfish. Take a good camera, this is one of the greatest places in the world. I am going on my fourth trip to Kabby in May, and plan on at least one more this year, probably in the fall.

Thanks Prov. It's great to hear from someone who's stayed at the same resort. Super info., just what I was hoping to hear. Looking forward to it. Good luck!

Rivernut, I forgot to mention that you should follow the Kabby forum throughout the year. The information shared on this great website will put you in the right place/right time as well. I am just a visitor there. The guys who fish this great place everyday will post their info when they get it. Good luck to you too.

Rivernut, take the advice and follow the forumn right up until you leave. Your time frame for coming up is very unpredictable, as to how and where to fish. Water temps, water levels and mayflies as well as weather patterns will dictate where and whats best.

The average answer would be to fish mid Kabetogama, (as it relates to East and West), crawlers or leeches, long snells, spinners?, red hooks?, and etc. probably, 22-28' deep sides of reef structures, or gravel bottom. Crankbaits work well for all species, but livebait #1 for eyes. good luck, guts

Follow the forum and get a Hot Spot map. That will give you a few places to start. Don't forget the night bite, but get familiar with the lake first. Last June it was terribly hot most of the time we were up, so we pretty much fished the evenings. Got plenty of eyes to keep us happy. We'll be up the week of the 17th and I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks a ton guys. I will definitely keep an eye on the forum. Looking forward to not only the fishing, but from what I hear, the scenery is awesome!!!

If you dont have a hand held gps or a built in model its a must if you like to fish the night bite. If you track your way out you should have no problems getting back to the loading ramp without any trouble. It is not hard to find the dock its the rock reefs you have to worry about. I use the wooden frog boat ramp alot when we are up there, we fish alot around gold portage.

I agree. Although there are some good night spots close to where you are staying, if you can get a GPS with a Lakemaster chip, you will be a lot more flexible. I have spots I can back to the resort from easily after dark. But last summer the display on my old Lowrance started to go about the third day up. I ordered an H2O and the Lakemaster chip from Bass Pro and had them the next day. Back in business better than before. Years back I used to navigate back by the radio towers. Always made it without hitting the rocks, but it was slow going watching the LCR every minute. Get a GPS if you can, you won't sorry.