• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

doesn't seem right

gman2002

Question

just bought a new lazer mag, and it just doesn't seem right. it takes about 20-30 starts to get it to finally somewhat stay running, then it runs really really rough! after letting it warm up for a period, and go to drill some holes , when i hit the throttle it bogs for a second before i have to give it the double throttle deal to get it to stay running again. i know its brand new but is this right, i'm hopeing it gets better with each use and a little more broken in. my bro has one and it starts in 2 pulls he revs it a few times and it cuts great. did i get a bad or will it get better. also i used the strikemaster oil and mixed it correctly so that shouldn't be the prob

10 answers to this question

Since it is new, I would take right over to Strikemaster. Their customer service is very well regarded, and I am sure they will make it right.

Ditto to Gissert. It sounds like the carb probably needs some adjustment but let them do that. They will take care of you. Several of the auger manufactures machines needs some tweeking when they are new. It is kind of a pain to have to deal with it but once it is resolved you will be fine for a long time.

The carb is out of adjustment like others have stated. You may be able to do it yourself if you have any experience with carbs, or friends that do. Sometimes it only takes 1/8-1/4 turn here or there to get it going right. I have only had to ajust one new strikemaster, but have had to ajust several Jiffy's over time, especially the 3 hp models.

If minor tweaking doesnt do it, take it to a strikemaster service place. Strikmaster has great customer service at the factory.. but Big Lake is quite a drive from stillwater.

I also bought a new lazar mag this year. At times is doesn't seem like its going good and other times it runs like a top. I have about a tank and a half of gas through it and will probably take it in in the future for fine tuning.

Make sure you use proper warm up time. I've noticed to be a huge thing. Once its warmed up mine doesn't bog down at all.

Yup, tweak the carb a bit... Had to do the same with my new StrikeMaster this year as well. Change the plug out, as it is probably fouled now, and adjust the idle screw about 1/2 turn.

For starting, usually it takes two pulls on full choke, then I bump it up to no choke and she fires over great. Let the auger run for about a minute and your ready to drill. Another thing, with the new compression let off system, a big thing to remember is not to over pull the recoil!!!

And of course, like others have mentioned, if it still doesnt run right, call StrikeMaster or bring it into them to diagnois the problem. As was stated they have a great customer service department.

thanks for the info guys. had it out today and it seemed to run alot better, why i don't know. 2 pulls with choke on and 1 pull with choke off and it ran fine. still seemed to bog a bit when i hit the throttle after about 20 - 30 secs of warm up but after a few holes it seemed fine. a little longer warm up maybe ? but i'll check the plug also and maybe up the idle speed a bit

Gman

Definately check the plug... One thing I have found, my new Lazer Mag definately likes to run a lot better in colder temps...

The reason it runs better in cold temps is because the colder it is, the leaner it runs. That means, at warmer temps, it is running too rich. I don't know if your carbs have fuel screws or air screws. If it has fuel screws, turn them in 1/2 turn and see how it runs. If it has air screws, turn it out 1/2 turn and try it. 2 strokes are sensitive to changes in temp and air density. Manufacturers tend to set everything up very rich so you don't seize the motor. Problem with that is they don't run as good as they should.

I am assuming you are still on the break-in tank of fuel, which is usually mixed rather rich for ring seating purposes. I will not "recomend" anything to you, but in my "experience" after that first tank of fuel, try the Amsoil 100:1 two stroke oil. Between the Eskimo auger and the Stihl chainsaw, they run much-much better. No smelly smoke, no fouling plugs, and less choke use. I run my mixture at around 85-90:1, plus keep your gas fresh. It seems todays gas seems to break down alot quicker. This may have something to do with your problems. Plus a little carb adjutment to get things just right is always recommended.

Good-Luck, Rob