• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabelas VS350 vs Scout XL

B@ssmaster

Question

Does anyone have any opinions or information about the Cabela's VS350 camera system? Just recently decided to start investigating camera systems but of course don't have a lot of $$$ to spend. Have heard some good things and some bad things about the ScoutXL, kind of like the big screen idea (both have 7" screens). The cost is about $60 or $70 cheaper for the Cabela's brand. Any input would be appreciated.

Bassmaster

10 answers to this question

didn't even know they had one. i bought the aqua vu color lcd model. wish i would have bought one that had depth and temp on it and direction.

Just in case it didn't make sense, the Cabelas camera is really just a relabeled Marcum. Same with the Cabelas flashers.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I knew it was a Marcum rebranded, and an entry level system, I was just looking for some opinions on it's performance.

Bassmaster

I have seen some videos from the Marcum 350 on a different web site and they look really good. I am also thinking of one buying one and leaning toward the Marcum.

KSW

I bought the 350 on friday in rodgers at the big C, 170 in the bargain cave, only opened, never used. I used it this weeekend and I loved it. the only negative was that I couldn't turn off the infrared lights, I can only dim them. My battery lasted 6 hours on a full charge....

the only other problem I had was that I couldn't keep the camera still , I need one of those ice arms from marcom or ice trip pods things from aqua vu. I jerry rigged something with a clothes pin and styrafoam lid, but the other two things work much better. I have fished with the AV Scouts before and this 350 had no difference except the 350 has a bigger screen.........

Good to hear, thanks for the info. I was also looking at the bargain cave units Friday night, but the only ones there when I checked has missing power cords, etc. Didn't want to deal with that.

On the subject of the Icepod (the manual tripod), both Cabelas and the two Gander Mountains I checked were out of them, but I found about 12 of them at Fleet Farm in Brooklyn Park yesterday afternoon. I grabbed one for me and one for my dad. I saw one camera in use last week without a "steering" system, it was a pain. I wasn't even going to mess with mine until I got the tripod. Good luck!

Picksbigwagon,

I heard that the Cabelas one did not have the video out jacks on it?

Bassmaster,

Wouldn't they give you a power cord for it?

KSW

Didn't think to ask about a cord, I figured it was an "as is" deal for the price ($150 for that one I believe.)

On your video question, follow the link that Dave provided above, he's got pictures of the unit, it does indeed include both a video in and a video out jack.......and a second port for a second camera....

I ended up buying the Cabela's version, looks exactly like the unit in Dave's post except for color of the soft case and the logo on the front.

I am not sure but I think there is a video out on the back of the screen.......let me run to the basement and check.....yep a video in and a video out jack on the back. I did notice though that the housing has a small crack that I am going to put some silicone sealant on.....