• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ruth Lake

Just rented a place on this lake from 6-24 thru 7-1. Was wondering if it's a good lake for fishing? After looking at the dnr survey it's not looking good as far as walleye's go but seems to be a good population of sunnys for the kids. Is there any good walleye lakes nearby that maybe I can sneek to one morning? Thanks for any info..

Ruth is a pretty good lake, nice and quiet. It is a perfect little vacation lake. Ruth has a good population of panfish and some decent crappies plus a few bass and pike. For walleyes you are close to a bunch of them. That time of the year you might want to try Gull, North Long or the Whitefish Chain. In mid summer Whitefish is a favorite of the fishing guides at our shop. You should have no problem catching a mixed bag of great action on Ruth. Stop by when you are up and I'll fill you in on the latest hot spots. Have fun!

Jason Erlandson

I spend A LOT of time up there, my in-laws have a cabin on Mary, which is just a mile or so south of Ruth. Ruth is a really clear lake, and I have caught a few walleye out there, but I haven't fished it that hard. You could try Emily out, people have called it "the little Mille Lacs", and while at one time it was dynamite for nicer walleyes, I have still done good for smaller ones. It is a darker water lake and very shallow. One spot I have done good on out there is the outlet from Mary (Little Pine River) with shiners under a bobber. You can also get on fish at any given weed edge, which occur all over the lake. Just work the edges with a gold or white prop jig and minnow or. You can also take your boat up stream to Mary and try some of the sharp drop offs and humps out there with shad raps (gold and black is the ticket) or floating raps of the same color. Evening and morning is best, but the water color is like coffee-so I have had some great luck mid day as well grin.gif!!! You can check out some of the lakes to the east of Emily as well. You can find some gems without a lot of development that way if you do a little research. One thing about up there is there is no shortage of awesome lakes, and Ruth is no exception. I would consider a little night fishing out on Ruth with a long-lined or casted out black & silver thunderstick on the rocky mid lake point wink.gif. If you do get down around Nisswa, make sure you get your bait at Sportland-some of the liveliest and healthiest bait I have ever gotten smile.gif. Good Luck!

Ruth is a great panfish lake! The weed bed in the center of the lake is good for sunnies and try the north end in front of the biggest log cabin on the lake for crappies, also crappies can be found in front of what used to be Ruth lake resort on the southwest. They say walleye are almost none existant on Ruth except for mid December. I had a 25"-27" up the hole after christmas but my frostee got caught on the edge of the ice:(. I love to fish Thunder Lake just north of Outing off 6 for walleye. It is the most beautiful lake you will see in that area and it has classic walleye structure; shallow rock piles, islands and my favorite narrows on the westside. Pull lindy's up the banks of the narrows and troll raps around the rocks. I have caught a good share of 15"-22" as well as nice smallmouth mixed in for a little fun. Thunder is very clear so fish it during low light.

Thanks for all the helpfull info. I'll post on this lake again when the long wait for the weeks vacation draws nearer. Untill then theres still some ice fishing, turkey hunting and hopefully a few trips in the boat to be had. Good luck out there fella's.

Wally,

What Ruth lake are you speaking of? Sounds like you guys are talking of two different lakes. Maybe I am wrong.

Walleyedan

I didn't mention I'm speaking of the Ruth near Emily. I think WalleyeDan is detailing The Ruth near Brainerd. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.. Any other info on this lake or hot tips in the Emily, Outing areas more than welcome. Thanks to all!!!

Sorry guys I was talking about the Ruth Lake right here in between Brainerd and Nisswa. My mistake.

Jason Erlandson